Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hailing frequencies closed...

Its a sad thing to see a member go. But why just do not leave the political forum and still enjoy the rest. I for one felt that right now we started to get a little more lively in the original ST section again.
    I think the main problem is that ST is currently rather dead and therefore other topics are discussed. Since B&B are gone, the common enemy is gone and therefore we begin to attack each other.
    No seriously, once ST XI gets more detailed and maybe thanks to the new ST MMORPG we might actually seem more Trek discussion again. so why not just make it a shore leave? Never say never again, you know?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I hope so too

FYI, I messed about with my settings and managed to disable my memberships, so I am no longer subscribed to the political forum, for anyone responding to anything I've written in there!
    Ta Muchly

Cool

My rabbi said, "Two things you don't bring up at dinner. Religon and Politics. Makes for more pleasant conversation." Seems he had something there. My take one it is, "Don't ask a question unless you are ready for the answer. Including the one you aren't going to like."
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Haha good advice all round. I don't think I asked any of the questions, just got annoyed at the arguments they caused
    Ta Muchly

I didn't even know we had a politics forum. I ignore it anyway, so my enjoyment of the site hasn't been hurt.

Good luck, regardless.

The idea of closing down the political forum is obsurd, IMHO. The entire reason why that forum was created was that people couldn't do so civily in the open . . . so for those who choosed to venture into THAT forum, did so at their own free will, and knowing what to expect when you entered into it. It's like someone walking into a S&M Club with a clear warning on the otherside of the door to all outside that it's an adult club, above 18, with a certain fetish being practiced inside. If you don't want to go in, no one is forcing you too.

But regarding what is happening inside . . . are all the rules regarding establishing a thread . . . I.E. making it in a form of a question . . . limiting postings of entire articles . . . a common level of civility . . . as in debating the topic rather then the other person . . . are those all still commonly practiced? I can understand why someone wants to move out of that forum when people start talking of the other person in connection to their opposing policy opinion, and not the opposing policy opinion alone.
    I guess this is why in the storied legislative and debating bodies many of them have rules about, while on the floor speaking, against speaking directly to the other member, and to the Speaker or Chair or Presiding Officer. This may be why, even though they can fight and argue to the Speaker/Chair/Presiding Officer on the floor, they can then turn around and share a drink, a dinner, even go to each others social venues (even though that is seen less and less now a days, and is rarely shown in most media outlets).

So I say, if you don't like what's going on in a joinable forum, don't go in . . . enjoy the dozen other forums that we have here. Granted we are not as lively as we once were, but you can say this about the entire genra. Our genra has long since past it's second birth . . . and has been ran into the ground by bad management from the corporate side, which split the fan base . . . gone are the days when everyone who meet Shatner thought he was an egotisticle @ss, yet enjoyed his work none the less . . . gone are the days where droves of fans came to museums to share in a Star Trek themed exhibit (as I did in San Francisco during the mid 90's (to the detest of my cooler sister and uncaring parents)) . . .

But that does not mean that there is no life in our genra . . . there is alot of potential . . . and the fact that many of us remain, all be it, fewer in number then before . . . is a testiment to what the genra is still capable of.
    It's like a wake . . . the testament to the person is not how many millions they have aquired, or how much the owned . . . but the amount of people who show up and cared about you, and that you made an impact on . . . thus sometimes, the poorest amoungst us, are some of the richest in spirit that we'll ever know.
    And if our genra has shown anything . . . it is rich in spirit . . . and can continue to be a fountain of inspiration for future incarnations.
    Last edited by JALU3; 03-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Let's not discuss the political forum out here in the open, shall we. It would lead to a heated debate. This thread started by Alderon wasn't about closing the lounge (that one was made by Tobian, elsewehre) but about him leaving the forums. That is what should be discussed here, please.

Sorry I will make that section of my previous thread a spoiler for out here . . . and move a copy of it to an appropriate area.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

If it a problem of the political board, Aldaron, then go your User Control Panel and click on edit Membership.

It has slow down too much around here for people to quit over the political section when you can end your membership there.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    My rabbi said, "Two things you don't bring up at dinner. Religon and Politics. Makes for more pleasant conversation." Seems he had something there. My take one it is, "Don't ask a question unless you are ready for the answer. Including the one you aren't going to like."
    It's part of an old saying on this side of the pond: "Never discuss a man's politics, religion or taste in women..."

Sorry to see you go, Aldaron, just when I've started paying attention again!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Is this because I made you snort coffee out your nose?

Most folks would consider that indicative of having a good time.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Yep, lets have a political forum, where people can be rude, ignorant and not listen. Gee I wonder why he left?! I recommend anyone NOT join it, if they didn't know about it before!

yes the fallen Trek franchise is the main reason why we are devouring our young, those arguments happened before the fall, but less people bother nowadays. To be honest I am not sure I will run a Trek game for a while now, but then that's mostly because my players are disinterested haha But still yes, its a shame to lose a content producing member. It's one of the reasons I come here too, and even do my own stuff when I can too the site has had a little bit of renaissance recently, so hopefully it will pick up a little
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Yep, lets have a political forum, where people can be rude, ignorant and not listen.
    Internet political forums seem to exist these days more as vents for vitriol-spewing and the justification of one's vote/conviction/anger/bias than about actually discussing or, goodness forbid, learning anything. Kinda like the House of Commons here in Canada!

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

LOL . . . you can say that about our entire Legislative Branch here in the States . . . long gone, it seems, are the days of civil discussion . . . yet a joint cause. So often we look to fracture ourselves into mutliple like pieces . . . long gone is the melting pot of ideas . . . now has shown the hyphenated reality. No longer can a one large diverse group of people becalled one thing . . . they must have their subsections where they only congregate and communicate with those who share similarities, whether in thought or appearence or background.

We have our Post DS9 Fans, who detest the Prequal fans, who are detested by the revisionist fans, who detest the B&B fans, who detest . . . who detest . . . you can see where I am going with this.
    Gone seems to be the day where we were all Trekkies united under one banner.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    LOL . . . you can say that about our entire Legislative Branch here in the States . . . long gone, it seems, are the days of civil discussion . . . yet a joint cause. So often we look to fracture ourselves into mutliple like pieces . . . long gone is the melting pot of ideas . . . now has shown the hyphenated reality. No longer can a one large diverse group of people becalled one thing . . . they must have their subsections where they only congregate and communicate with those who share similarities, whether in thought or appearence or background.

We have our Post DS9 Fans, who detest the Prequal fans, who are detested by the revisionist fans, who detest the B&B fans, who detest . . . who detest . . . you can see where I am going with this.
    Gone seems to be the day where we were all Trekkies united under one banner.
    Interestingly, I've recently been reading a book about the lead-up to WWII, and similar things were going on in post-Russian Revolution / pre-Hitler Germany and the rest of Europe... the Right and the Left were getting ever more polarized and nasty to one another, some countries were going through several governments a year, and ever more the place was fractioning into smaller and smaller antangonistic factions and the place was becoming impossible to run.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook