Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporal Cold War

H.P. Lovecraft did that. The great race of Yith, i think.

Still, hasn't been done in the Trek-verse yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    H.P. Lovecraft did that. The great race of Yith, i think.

Still, hasn't been done in the Trek-verse yet!
    Lovecraft and Trek go together like bagels and lox. The solangen-based entities are so mi-go. Ancient humanoids?Would Elder Things, by any other name...

EDIT: especially when considering the vast horizons opened by a cross-time conflict. Sure, most of the players from the 30th century might be humanoid–but what about the lurking things that ruled the galaxy when the ancient humanoids first reached for the stars?
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 04-25-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I was thinking of introducing an energy-based lifeform whose "substance" is composed of tachyons. They are sentient and technologically advanced (after a fashion; their technology is all energy-based as well). Further, they exist outside of normal time, able to exist in multiple points on the timeline simultaneously.

They are kind of like the Medusans, I suppose, but with a more arcane agenda. They are somehow tied to the Temporal Cold War, but their goals are obfuscated. Moreover, they have a serious issue with the Tholians, who can capture them in their webs and have killed many and destroyed their "vessels" on more than one occasion.

The individual aliens are only about 0.2 meters in diameter, but they can manifest various forms of radiation (including electromagnetic), and can use it both offensively and defensively. They can also interface with and/or disrupt computer systems, and they can even create sophisticated holograms.

They have the ability to travel in time, and can do so without any mechanical assistance. However, unless they manage to go somewhere with mechanical devices that they can interface with, they are unable to interact with the physical world (for the most part).

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Sounds like a really good idea, though perhaps they should be made instead of Chronitons, which appear to be an exotic particle which can do as you describe (aka exist in multiple timeframes at once)

It would be interesting to see how the crew interacts with them, though it would be very dependant on what the plot was!
    Ta Muchly

Interesting alien concept. What if they have no agenda, other than not wanting time travel, or at least limiting it, since they in a manner of speaking are a part of time. They might not want all these corporeal beings messing with the time stream because it disrupts them or their devices. So perhaps they are messing with the various factions in some kind of 'scorched earth' policy: eventually, all this time manipulation will cause the timestream to break, leaving only them.

Or, maybe they manipulate the other factions in INCREASE their power; this works if you go with chronoton particles instead of tachyons: the more time travel, the more chronotons, the more creatures there are.

Reminds me a little of the aliens in Timescape.. if they interact with us, it's because we did something to interfere, and maybe they didn't even intend to cause us harm, leaving the crew with a morality play if they discover they are killing aliens by mistake or something haha

The Tholians also could be an interesting protagonist.. are they the goodguy or badguy in this? Will they ever figure it out haha
    Ta Muchly