Thread: Possible Exchange Program?

Possible Exchange Program?

Okay...during the Dominion War, the Romulans coordinated pretty closely with Starfleet (for their typical behavior, anyhow...). I was wondering if, since Romulan personnel served in exchange positions aboard Federation starships, then could the reverse also have happened?

I can see it happening from a Romulan-to-Federation point of view. After all, a Romulan officer served on the Defiant to monitor the cloaking device, and there were Romulans aboard DS9. The I think the OEP might actually have benefitted further from the war. After all, think about it: A Klingon ship pulls into a Federation outpost needing repairs, and crew replacements, and the only personnel available from the pool are Starfleet officers. Is the Klingon going to a) wait until he can get reinforcements, b) complete repairs and then head back to a Klingon base wasting valuable time, or c) grab a few Starfleet officers to serve along with his group to get back into the battle soonest?

From the Romulan point of view, I know the situation is different. They're much more wary of the Federation (isolationism tends to breed that sort of thing). However, in the sense of giving them a better idea of how Starfleet operates, and perhaps for the personnel shortage problem I just described above, does anybody think this could have happened?

It should be noted that I have designed a character for a Federation/Romulan/Taurhai campaign who is a Starfleet officer, and has served aboard a Romulan vessel as an observer. He actually was involved in a fight with a Taurhai vessel (the Taurhai broke through to Federation territory and made contact, so...) while he was on a Romulan ship, and had to step in for one of the officers. A bit tricky, but it worked. Also got him a Romulan decoration since his actions helped save the ship (minor decoration, but the ship's captain was more like an old-fashioned Romulan of Kirk's time than the modern Romulans you think of).

Is this plausible or...?

I could see it happening–outside of Romulan territory. If they were operating in Cardassian space or whatever, i could see joint operations being something Starfleet wants, and some of the military–the Alidar Jaroks and honourable Centurions, etc–might agree to it.

Of course, at least one of the exchanged Starfleet officers would be captured and replaced by the Tal Shiar.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

And probably at least half of the Romulan "exchange officers" would be Tal Shiar spies from the get-go.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Even after the horrible losses they'd sustained, and with the fact that they were on a war footing and were, after all, allies, at least in the interim?

Besides, wouldn't Starfleet brief the exchange officers going in? And given that the Romulans aren't all fond of the Tal Shiar, perhaps find officers who were less disposed towards letting the Tal Shiar handle things like that?

The character in question is actually an El-Aurian, for what little difference that might make. They seem to have a feel for people in any event.

Good points, though. Please keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Even after the horrible losses they'd sustained, and with the fact that they were on a war footing and were, after all, allies, at least in the interim?
    Especially after the horrible losses. Remember, these are the two remaining superpowers in the Quadrant.

Besides, wouldn't Starfleet brief the exchange officers going in?
    "Stay away from flashing lights, dark corridors, and scan your quarters every night before going to sleep..."

And given that the Romulans aren't all fond of the Tal Shiar, perhaps find officers who were less disposed towards letting the Tal Shiar handle things like that?
    I'm sure some of the military won't necessarily be cool with it, but the Tal Shiar probably wouldn't give a shit. Of course, replacing someone who's had so much contact with the Romulans might be a little obvious–maybe use them as some sort of programmed sleeper setting up an opportunity for a more skilled and less obvious agent to insert themselves.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

This is interesting...please keep it coming!

I think an exchange program whereby a starfleet officer or officers serve as observers on a Romulan warbird might make an interesting set of adventures. Like the TNG ep where Riker temporarily served on a Klingon Bird of Prey, it would be a nice way to introduce Starfleet characters to the Romulan way.

If you have the LUG Romulan boxed set Way of D'era, it will have lots of info. on the Romulan Empire, customs, history & military. It's a great resource if you can find a copy.

It's a nice idea for 1 or 2 Starfleet PCs but if you have 4 or more PCs, then it might be a bit implausible that the Romulans would allow that many Starfleet officers to serve aboard one of their vessels.

Of course, espionage would be a part of the adventure. Either Starfleet Intelligence (or Section 31) would want the PCs to learn as much as possible or at the very least, the Tal Shiar would monitor the PCs & attempt to gain information from them.

I think this coud make for a very, very interesting campaign.

I'm with Jem'Hadar on the issue of using the Romulan "The Way of D'era" Box.
    That one is a great supplement, I think the best one out there (did I mention I like the Romulans?) for the last Star Trek games.

But back on topic.

If you have a group of experienced gamers at your disposal, you could let them portray the command crew of a romulan vessel including one or two Starfleet officers on exchange. Set after the DW and including most likely even the Taurhai...And a lot of espionage things, good roleplaying moments about trust issues. Everything that Trek and roleplaying is al about could be fit into that campaign.

I - for my part - given the opportunity to play in such a campaign would jump at the chance to play a Romulan officer in that specific setting...

I just love the idea!