Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Romulans

I hope you don't mind but I'm copying this to word format...it's excellent.

------------------
    Know fear...

Copy it, use it, play with it, change it all you like. Just don't try to pass it off as yours, or to sell it.....

If any of you are on a former LUG design team, you can use this material for free, as long as some kind of appropriate credit is given.

This, of course, assumes that you have all been hired by decipher, and will need to write a new Romulan supplement.

------------------
    Slan agat!

Originally posted by Aedh Rua:
    This, of course, assumes that you have all been hired by decipher, and will need to write a new Romulan supplement.
    Or expansion!!!

------------------
    Know fear...

An interesting linguistic note: the Romulan noun for "wisdom" is Khau, the verbal form, "to be wise", is Khau-tor. Now, this is very similar to the verb "to rule", an irregular verb which is also Khau, with the noun form Khaya, "power, rule".

Here is where it gets a bit odd. If I understand Golic Vulvan grammar correctly, to words for "the powerful", and "the wise" are both Khau'su. This linguistic coincidence gets me thinking.

While, technically, the verb Khau, and the noun Khau are two different words, it would be hard for Romulans not to get the words, and associated ideas confused in their minds.

It seems likely to me that Romulans identify kowledge and power much more than Humans do, or Vulcans, for that matter, for whom the two words are not quite as similar.

This might explain the famous Romulan arrogance, to some extent. The philosophy of D'era states that the ancient Romulans/Vulcans grew strong in the harsh environment of early Vulcan.

In all likelihood, most Romulans also feel on some unconscious level that they were also made wise, and that their culture is in consequence utterly and totally superior to all others.

Now, the near worship of all ancient traditions which appears to be a feature of Romulan culture, even more than of ancient Vulcan culture, would exacerbate this. The result is that incredible confidence for which the Romulans are famous, and the absolute values for which they are at times respected.

Another brief note (I apologize if this is getting irritating, but I did warn you I could be long-winded on this subject): If one includes the emphasis on Govham, "Duty", as part of D'era along with all the other values in the original LUG books, then I think it becomes clear that D'era is almost as much a modification of the original Vulcan lifestyle as the Way of Surak.

The Way of Surak saved the Vulcans from self destruction by banishing emotion and aggression. The Way of D'era does this by turning that aggression outward, toward galactic conquest, while also chaining it in ancient traditions and forms. The two ways are very different, but both are rival ways of ensuring racial survival.

Enough.....

------------------
    Slan agat!

[This message has been edited by Aedh Rua (edited 03-08-2001).]

One thought on the relationship of knowledge and power: "Now we know... and knowing is half the battle!"

I had a thought about Aedh Rhua's vocabulary and the Way of D'Era vocabulary. Maybe there are different languages in use in the Star Empire, or different dialects. Aedh Rhua's version, with its roots in ancient Vulcan, might be a kind of "High Romulan", the kind of language used in the Senate and great works of literature. Way of D'Era's words might come from the everyday language used by ordinary citizens.

Just a thought, take it or leave it.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

An interesting take on the subject Sarge. Makes sense, why wouldn't there be different dialects of the differing languages.

Yep. There should actually be hundreds of dialects on any given planet, even if there's only one main language. They just sort of develope over time.

Pat, semi-multilingual

In fact if you wanted another "dialect"
    you could use the one in the "romulan Way"
    Novels by Diane Dwane.

------------------
    Doug Odell

WOW!!! I think you are well on yur way to creating a full Romulan Language Dictionary there. Keep up the good work!

I was actually contemplating the merits of combining all three, way of d'era, Aedh Rua's work (with his permission of course) and some of the terms from Romulan Way. Have to wait until I have the time.

Personally, I'd be interested in a sub-discussion about what the heck the Romulan Star Empire was up to in the period 2269-2320 (plus-or-minus)?

Don't tell me "static cold war with the Klingons and the Federation"; also don't start about the Gorn-Romulan hostilities; I've read all the FASA stuff.
    Canon Trek simply bypasses all this (mainly 'cause Romulans have never become as popular as the Klingons..which in itself is a vicious circle, and a bummer for us Romulan-fans).

I am curious about what people may have read somewhere..or even what their "take" is on this subject.

One word...Taurhai! They are the main reason the Romulans went into self imposed exile from the rest of the Alpha Quadrant. They needed all their resources to fight the Taurhai and didn't want the rest of the governments to know that there was a Tech. Superior race on the other side of the Empire. They were afraid that the Federation might side with the Taurhai and then they would have a two front war on their hands.

Anything else is pretty much left up to the imagination of the Narrator. At least, until some new source books come out.

Ah yes, the Taurhei. I've seen that name crop up many times on these boards. I've never read the LUG material pertaining to this race/faction? Yup, I know it's bad form to be so ignorant and still post on this forum, but I'd still appreciate an explanation about what these Taurhei dudes are/were.

Would save me the effort of digging up LUG back copies!

Basically the Romulns met up against a society with a tech level vastly superior to thiers and a decidedly antagonistic bent. Kept them busy for a good while. I would've liked if the Way of D'Era had included a pic of a Taurhai ship. But I'm pickled tink that they put out a boxed set for my favourite Trek race at all.

Pat

Woohoo! Just noticed I went from ensign to lieutenant.

Pat