Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Romulans

The Taurhai are like the Federation, except for that Prime Directive thing. They're into peace and love and helping bring your fellow humanoids to a new level of consciousness, except that the Taurhai see their role as bringing their "Enlightenment" to the lesser races. If the opposition doesn't like it, you conquer them and make them accept it.

Manifest Destiny anyone?

They also have starships ("Star Dragons") that make a warbird look like a transport ship! Not to mention the ability to have several of these vessels pop up without warning in Romulan space (they employ "subspace funnel" drives which practically establish mini-wormholes to jump the ship over several parsecs - extremely difficult to spot 'em coming...). They could be a useful ally if the Borg ever come in force, though even a Star Dragon would be no match for a Cube. I'll have to start thinking about getting some SD stats for one put together... assuming Steve isn't putting them into SRM: Romulans already !

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

Cool

Thanks for the info so far, people.
    But I need more; if you'll bear with me:

- Is there a timetable to this Taurhei conflict stuff? I.e. in what year did the Taurhei and the Star Empire begin to lock horns? And when did the conflict end (assuming it did end)?

- Where are the Taurhei from? Alpha-, Beta-, Gamma-, Delta Quadrant? Other galaxy? What?

- Have any other factions (UFP, Klingons, who knows) become involved with the Taurhei-Romulan conflict?

Thanx in advance,

Actually, I think one could imagine a number of other, more minor conflicts occuring during the period from ca2270 to 2309. I had a campaign that never went anywhere in which the Romulans got to take on a race rather like the K'khree of Traveller fame, that is to say, fanatical, xenophobic herbivores out to rid the universe of predators.

I suspect that this would have a lovely minor conflict, with the Romulans eventually winning, but very few K'khree left. A good chance to show plyers just what interstellar conquest might really be like.

Sort of the Full Metal Jacket of Trek gaming....

------------------
    Slan agat!

Oh and they're coreward/trailing of Sol by probably 1000+ ly.

And if that doesn't help then about 2 oclock from sol on a facedown clock perspective.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

You are quite right. With the Romulan expansionism there probably were other conflicts, like others I have often thought how to bring those into my game. I was merely stating conon for the sake of answering his question in the easiest way possible.

Question

Where are you all getting this information? I haven't read anything like what you guys are stating in any of the Core books, or Ver1 of the encyclopedia. Furthermore . . . I noted them on the map in my game (using the dimensions map where they are pinned between the CU and the UFP), but haven't used them at all.

They sound like a fascinating race . . . and maybe in my game, due their location they may attempt to take part of the CU in its weakened state.

But the question still lies . . . where did you all get this information from, cause I didn't by the Rom Box set.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

JALU3, if the race you are referring to is the Taurhai, they were introduced in the Romulan box set. All the info about them, as far as I know, is there.

1) The Romulans first encountered the Taurhai in 2309. First contact was rather peaceful, the Taurhai offered info about the Unity (their culture and so forth), the Romulans responded with demands that their borders be respected. The war started in 2313 when the Unity tried to make the Rom.s a "civilized" part of their empire. The Battle of Chi'tan (Taurhai Home) in 2343 spelled victory for the Romulans after they bombarded the planet. In the peace negoiations that followed each side agreed to respect each others borders.

Between 2343-2374 there have been four "Taurhai Offensives".

2) There probably will be some disagreement with the location of Taurhai space, but, I will go with the map from Romulan box set. Sorry, I don't know Core or spinward: The Taurhai are located opposite the Kilingon Empire on the other side of the Beta Quadrant.

3) Not that was mentioned. The reason the Romulans secluded themselves all those years was to hide the fact of the war with the Taurhai. The Rommulans didn't want the other governments to know of their existance. Based on fears that one of the other gov'ts would ally with the Taurhai.

I hope this helps a little. It is complicated to pass on so much info in a compact package, if you can I would suggest you get The Way of D'era box set, it will answer all your questions.

Thanks for the info, Phantom & others.
    I'm overhauling an old "Star Trek Chronology" writing project of mine (inspired mainly by the Okuda chronology, which some think is god's gift to earth but which to me always seemed rather simple) and am still deciding which "non-canon" elements will go in the final draft and which won't.
    So; though I don't know enough about the Taurhei yet to make up my mind either way, this has helped.

I would be interested in seeing this chronology when you are finished.

Two more Romulan words, and some amusing speculations:

Akhzha'khartau'ol....."Planet Commander", ie. planetary governor.

Yal'al........"Star Vehicle", ie. starship.

Now, the speculation. How did the Romulans get those forehead ridges which the Vulcans lack, and Klingon-like blood platelets? They certainly have not been in contact with the Klingons that long, so what's the sotry?

I figure that the Zelvorians, who have been conquered a long time and were never described in "The Way of D'era", must be Klingonoids! This would also help explain the really extreme contempt which the Romulans seem to hold for the Klingons.

Now, the Zelvorians must have mated with their Romulan rulers occasionally over the last 2000 years, mostly unwillingly, though liasons between Zelvorians and lower class Romulans may have occasionally been based on something like affection.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough that most Romulans have very small amounts of Zelvorian blood. Probably, this is a deep, dark secret of which the Romulans are terribly ashamed. If I understand their mentality correctly, "blood purity" would mean a lot to them.

It could even form the basis for an adventure involving Federation or Starfleet Intelligence. The Federation probably couldn't care less if the Romulans were part Zelvorian. But if a scientist or op at work in the Romulan Empire discovered this little historical tidbit, he/she might discover that the Tal Shiar took what seemed to a Fed to be a minor matter very seriously, indeed.

------------------
    Slan agat!

Blood situation I'm really not sure of my self, perhaps it has something to do with that situation about all the major species being seeded in the universe and in a sense being related. Just a guess.

The ridges I think are easier to explain, non-canon though, the early vulcans did have the slight ridge over the eyes, for some reason after the schism the the ridge evolved out of the Vulcans, might have had something to do with their violent nature. The Romulans removed themselves from that evolution cycle into a separate one and kept the ridge. Again just a guess.

Correct me if I am wrong but in that TOS ep. with Lincoln and Col. Green, didn't Suraks make up have a very fine brow ridge, similar to modern Romulans? I am not sure on this point, as it has been a long time since I have seen the ep. in question. If so that could be proof that it was a genetic trait that for some reason was naturally breed out of the Vulcans over the years, since the Romulans are basically of the Ancient Vulcan stock and had emoved themselves from Vulcan they did not go through that genetic change. Anyway, its the theory I work with.

Jeez, is it just me or is everything grinding to a stand still around here!

Anyway, back to why I am here. Can someone give me a hand, I would like to know what year it was that the Romulans entered the Dominion War on the side of the Klingon/Federation alliance?