Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Romulans

2374 was the year that the Romulans entered the war on the Alliance's side.

Using the handy Excel stardate calculator, I calculate that the exact events (as I recall, the log entry with stardate given by Sisko was two weeks after the fact) occured on approximately stardate 51683.0. The log entry Sisko made was on stardate 51721.3.

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 03-22-2001).]

I would like to ask my fellow Romulan fans for a little bit of assistance. I am currently working on Romulan game for my group, don't really have a series arc nailed down but have an idea on the start:

A brief, and very rough, outline.

Set in mid 2260s

So far it is a small group, 2 players in immediate area plus 1 or 2 that I am hopefully going to have run character semi-pbem. One a Tal shiar captain will be the "phantom menace" for my players and the other might be Tal Diann. The two players I will be RPing with one is an Ops officer and the other a junior tactical officer.

The series will eventually have them as crew on a T'rasus class Explorer. At the very beginning they will be in charge of a military contingent for a "civilian" archeaology research post, that is studing an Iconian Gateway (they won't know what the artifact is for awhile, however).

I have a murder mystery, gamma quadrant ideas (sketchy) and a Borg storyline planned and eventually hope to lead into the Dominion war. I, unfortunatly, can get more specific at this time, only really ready to run the intro for the campaign.

Basically what I am looking for is if anyone has run, or been part of a good Romulan series, if they could pass on their experience to me. I know it is not a lot to go on, but any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jo'lan Tru

Sorry wrong date mid 2360s.

Aedh Rua, One quick question on your translations, What does "Jolan Tru" mean?

------------------
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -Napoleon

Jolan Tru is from the TNG series. As far as I can figure it means "Go in peace". In the Way of D'era they mention the Tal Shiar security clearance level of Tru (Romulan for Peace), I just guesstamated from there.

Oddly enough, I never worked out Jolan Tru. I will have to take a look, and get back to you.

"Go in peace" may have to do. The closest Vulcan roots to Jolan Tru would be "sochya", which does mean "peace", and "trasha", which means "depart" or "leave". Neither of them would explain the Tru classification in the Tal Shiar, however.

So, maybe tru does mean "peace" in some
    non-Golic language, and jolan could mean "go". This might be possible because the dialect of Golic which led to Romulan was the dialect of Jaleyl, presumably.

This may be where I punt.....

------------------
    Slan agat!

I'm thinking that it may be a non-golic dialect. Aedh Rua, just to test this possibilty can you find a translation for "Alitok". It is a senate level sec. clearence.

Given that the Romulan broke from the Vulcan line its not a far shot for them to add new terms to the language. In reality its probably "the right hand, not knowing what the left is doing" at LUG. But it does lead to an interesting conversation none the less.

Just bumping to the top again.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Quick question for all the other Romulan lovers out there: Does anybody know the basis on which Romulans name their ships (individual and classes)?
    I realise this is probably covered in Way of D'era but I didn't actually get into LUGTrek until after they'd gone out of business and by the time I spotted the Way of D'era boxed set on this site's product catalog (and jumped up in my chair screaming "YAY!") it was too late for me to get it through any of the channels I know of (and if anybody knows where I can get it in the Vancouver, B.C. area please drop a line...).
    My question is stated because I'm running a primarily Romulan campaign and am starting to get a little frustrated making up ship names that jes don't sound -right- (though Aedh Rua's brief lexicon early in this thread has helped immensely and I must give thanks for it).

--Than

I can't really help you with the naming protcols, all they say on the subject in Way of D'era is that the RSN doesn't use identifiers like USS or IKS. The ship that I was going to use in a Romulan game that didn't takeoff was the T'Rasus-class Starbird T'varik. T'varik means "wanderer" what members of the Romulan Exploration Command are called.

As to where to find Way of D'era...I do know a game store that still has a copy, here's the kicker the store is in Kingston, Ontario. The next time I am at the shop I can ask if he'd be willing to do some kind of mail order deal if you like? Just post back here if you would like me to try.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

You could also take bird names and "Romanize" them;

like the Kormorex (Kormorant sp?)

Or going by the designs in the Way of D'era come up with a cool sounding word and add "T'" or "D'" at the beginning.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Yeah, I've always had a special place in my heart for the Romulans, as my Romulan language posts might show! My real preference is for TOS Romulans, before they went and became so Macchiavellian.

We could start a whole thread on how the Klingons started out as the sneaky bad guys, and the Romulans as the Noble Enemies, but then traded places sometime during TNG.

Of course, my vision of the Romulans has travelled quite a way from canon, if all of my speculations are taken into account. For example, where in canon does it say that Romulans HAVE to be non-psionic? We don't see any psionic Romulans, but then we don't see many Romulans, period.

I always figured that the psionic Romulans were either off in monastaries learning to make blood boil at a distance, or else were Tal Shiar agents reading everyone's mind while pretending to be non-psionic. This would make them seem pretty rare to a casual observer.

In general, my vision of the Romulans, as my "Romulan language" posts will show is essentially of pre-Reformation Vulcans, just calmer enough not to destroy themselves, but with a lot of the beauty, glory, and green-flaming bllod intact.

------------------
    Slan agat!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    As to where to find Way of D'era...I do know a game store that still has a copy, here's the kicker the store is in Kingston, Ontario. The next time I am at the shop I can ask if he'd be willing to do some kind of mail order deal if you like? Just post back here if you would like me to try.

</font>
    YAY! Phantom, you are my new favourite person (places Than's Stamp of Favourite Person on Phantom's hand). Yes, I would absolutely love for you to try and arrange for them to send it to me, that would be really great. E-mail me with results (the e-mail in my profile is accurate for the next little while). If they won't do it then by all means let me know anyway and maybe we'll be able to werk something else out.

Anyhoo, as fer the naming protocols, the bird naming idea actually works quite well since the cap'n of the ship wanted to name it Red Dove anyways (dun ask why, it a fat freaking cargo hauler). Now I'll probably just use Fire instead of red (from the lexicon posted above, by the Knowledgable Great One of the Romulan Language Aedh Rua) and make up dove

Btw all, I apologise for any weirdly placed paragraph breaks in here because Internet Exploder kept crashing on me when I was trying to write the post so I had to type it up in notepad which usually leaves some probs.

I will stop by my friends shop on Thur. or Fri. and see what he says.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!