Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Report

Cool

If you check out the forward dorsal of the saucer, you'll see four dark ports. These are probably missile launchers, but they could be laser cannon or partical beams.

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

The Good: I liked the characters, and the interplay between them.

I liked the Vulcans not wanting to let their "babies" leave the nest, and the resentment of the Humans for it.

I liked the whole Humans out of their element, seeing things for the first time.

The OK: The ship itself. The interiors rock. I can live with the Akiraprise design.

The technology level: We've got bad gravity, but a warp 5 engine. We've not got tractor beams, but we've got Transporters. It seems inconsistant.

The whole plot (temporal bad guys are altering people, and therefore history). The Temporal Horse is dead people, and while I figure that B&B are going to use "Temporal Interferance" to erase any possible canon violations, it would be nice to come up with a new horse to beat.

The Bad: If everyone else in the Galaxy is so much more friggin advanced than the humans, one, how do we catch up so fast, and two, how come we haven't been wiped out. We're close enough to Qo'nos to get there in 4 days, but we've not been overrun by the Klingon Empire?

The shower scene. I'm a cheesecake/hard nipples kinda guy, but that was too gratuitious for me. It served no purpose, other than to show some skin.

The Ugly: What the heck is up with that them song. They ruined a good opening with a crappy song overlay.

All in all, if you look at it as yet another alternate Trek Universe (Like Voyager) it's a pretty good show.

To me it has a TOS type feel, which is what they were aiming for. It's definately not next-gen Trek though.

Alex

well the theme song is nice , but totally wrong for a trek type show, see I didnt call it trek :-)

overall I really like it, they really need to lose the timetravel crap tho
    Dave

I had a few minor quibbles... the only major one was the short travel times.

If Quonos is only 4 days away at Warp 4/5, it would be only minutes away at Warp 9.

Trek show always get better after a few seasons... given that I think this show has promise.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

I LIKED the show. Like most, I thought the opening song wasn't very good, but I liked the fact they chose a rock song. It's more familiar, closer to the earth we know. I would have preferred the song from the trailer, though.

Continuity issue - no WAY is Qo'nos four days away at warp 4.5. Should have changed that, it didn't affect the story at all.

Actually, I was presently surprised by the ship - they did make it look a lot more old tech than I originally thought, and the interiors were fantastic.

As far as it not being Trek - it's very much in the TOS/DS9 line of Trek. I call it Republican Trek, as opposed to TNG/Voy which is Democratic Trek.

Characterization was good - incredibly good for a 2 hour episode. Generally there have always been characters that you just don't know why they are there in other premiers - this one I didn't get that feeling.

Basic plot was good, like the old style empahsis on sex. A little titilation never hurt anyone. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the plot.

The 'temporal cold war' concept has TONS of possibilities. Berman/Braga have never handled the concept well - why haven't the Borg just jumped back in time and wiped out humanity. DS9 tried to address this with the Temporal Police, but you never really felt like they would be a sufficient defense - they were more bureuacrats then defenders. They could score serious points with me as a fan if they handle that well. Did anyone other than me think the shadowy figure from the future was a Vulcan/Romulan?

All in all, I'd say its the best opening a Trek series has ever had. Let's see if they know where to take this one, which they obviously didn't with Voyager.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Christian:
    Did anyone other than me think the shadowy figure from the future was a Vulcan/Romulan?</font>
    The Vulcan Head Ambassador, sounded like the same voice if you ask me.

------------------
    The more you disapprove,
    The more fun it is for me.

As regards to which of the premieres was the best, I think that honestly Enterprise ranks at the top. First or second.

The Caretaker I think may have inched out Broken Bow but thats because I thought the whole premise of Voyager was so darn cool - too bad it dropped off almost immmediately after the pilot.

The Emissary may have started out really cool (Wolf 359) but there were parts in that show that dragged out far more than the parts dragged out in Broken Bow. Broken Bow managed to keep a pace that Emissary didn't.

Encounter At Farpoint? Its been so long since I saw it. Honestly, it didn't do much for me. I like Q but the rest of the show did little for me.

I'd say for me the list goes:

1. Caretaker
    2. Broken Bow
    3. Emmisary
    4. Encounter at Farpoint.

I am not including TOS here because honestly I don't remember enough of it to give it a fair ranking...

[This message has been edited by prophetsteve (edited 09-27-2001).]

Question

Did the logo Star Trek appear at all during the into or was it just Enterprise? I don't recall seeing it.

q
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Weyoun11:
    Did the logo Star Trek appear at all during the into or was it just Enterprise? I don't recall seeing it. </font>
    Nope.

You do realise that there is a pilot curse on Trek.

Think about it.

The Cage - bad. TOS - well we won't be here if that bombed.

Encounter at Farpoint - could have been better. TNG - excellent series.

Emissary - almost killed the series for me. DS9 - probably the best trek series of all.

Caretaker - strong begining. VOY - need I go there. The Borg turned into a bunch of wimps who get whipped by a ship which is about half the size of the Enterprise. And the ending...well...

So 3 bad pilots, 3 good series. I good pilot, 1 bad series.

folks this isn't the "What did you think" thread, this was the "Canon Report".

In that vein: the show does get the Brannon Braga Award For Internal Inconsistancy: The ship goes warp 4.5 and will go "to Neptune and back in 6 minutes". This matches the established Warp scales quite well.
    The trip to the Klingon Homeworld, however, was expressed as "4 days there. 4 days back". That would put Kronos 2.35ly away, which is closer than any real star other than out sun. (Alpha Centurai, our closest neighbor, is about 4.3ly away.)

that aside, I liked it fine.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

As I stated in earlier post, I'm willing to let this series develop.
    Best speed to Gallifrey!
    Commodore Horatio Richard Jaeger
    CO,USS Audacity,NCC-85901

Originally posted by spyone

The trip to the Klingon Homeworld, however, was expressed as "4 days there. 4 days back". That would put Kronos 2.35ly away, which is closer than any real star other than out sun. (Alpha Centurai, our closest neighbor, is about 4.3ly away.)
    If we use the whole Chi-factor explanation for quicker long distance travel, the idea (in my limited understanding) that there are certain natural "corridors" in subspace which allow for faster travel, then we might be able to explain even this. Archer had mentioned that they were using the Vulcan Star Charts yes? The Vulcans have been plying the area for some time by this era. I am assuming that these charts would include the "corridors" closest to the Klingon Homeworld, thus allowing for much faster travel than 4.5 would indicate even at lower overall Warp speeds than we might see in the 24th century.

Now, this s not perfect by any means. I still think that the whole 80-hours or whatever was ridiculously short, but that was probably for plot-purposes in the story. We all bend a bit in the interests of ploit don't we?
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Thumbs up

I liked Enterprise allot!

Overall I thought it stuck to canon fairly good except!

1. 80 hrs to the Klingon homeworld is way, way off. It should have been at least 160 hrs. Putting this in its proper perspcetive would not have affected to story.

2. The Vulcans showed too much emotion.

3. the gel scene was pleasing to the eye but stupid. I hope they don't constantly resoprt to eye candy to replace good ideas.

4. If archer has a phase pistol now why do they use laser pistols in the cage?

I have always said wait till we see it then judge it. Some of you want to wait till the first season to judge. Express your opinions and judgements as it unfolds. Qapla'

I don't know. I guess there were significant canon flaws, but some can be explained away. I have no problem whatsoever with using the temporal cold war to explain them away. Maybe in the movie First Contact, the Borg were in cahoots with the Romulans and the Vulcans we saw in FC were actually Rommies. Maybe Cochrane and his colleagues were influenced in their later designs by the fact that he and Lily saw the Enterprise E. I definitely think Broken Bow was by far the best Trek pilot ever. I wonder, would these klingots have any territory beyond their home system? I ask because Archer said they would "keep going". To me that implies continuing in the direction of Chronus.

Why would T'pol and the other character spread the gel on each other? Do these Vulcans have a taboo against physical contact with non- mates of the opposite gender? Did the characters see anything intimate about what they were doing?

I'm willing to believe Enterprise has its own warp scale, temporally tampered or not. I would have guessed that the show would be limited to the nearest 100 light years or so.

Maybe Rigel is just the native name of the system, or the Klingon name. Does anyone smell Hodgkins Law of Parallel Language Development?