Thread: Threat Species idea

Threat Species idea

Something cute (possibly fluffy), something that looks innocent and harmless, something that pulls on your hearts strings, and begs to be taken in, something that multiply without appearing to overpopulate . . . something with a devious invader internal mentality . . . possibly something that is a sort of pyscological parasite that feeds on feelings created by people seeing something cute and adorible (but may cause no short term adverse effects . . . but may cause the host to become dependent due to long term contact) . . . maybe even have sort of symbiotic relationship with the host . . . may even have some positive healing effects.

What do you think . . . something benign yet potentially addictive, slightly harmful, but potentially benificial if properly cultured.

But intellegent, in a way that is not easily identifiable.

Any ideas, any takers?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

So like, evil Tribbles?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Sounds more like the "domesticated" housecat to me. I know mine have a habit of manipulating the people who live with me, and would reproduce pretty unobtrusively if they weren't fixed.

But would a housecat have evil intentions . . . enough to warrent being a threat species that one can build a plot around?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    But would a housecat have evil intentions . . . enough to warrent being a threat species that one can build a plot around?
    Threats don't necessarily require evil intent : d.

What it is that the housecats that would want from humanoid life that might cause the humanoids harm? What goals would they have that conflict with normal humanoid lives?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Sounds like Mogwai to me! From the Gremlins movie.

Ok how about they are specifically bred to be addictive (or found and exploited?!) Perhaps they become addictive on the same sort of level as the episode 'the game' where the Katarans tried to take over the Enterprise (D) using a game. Now maybe someone starts to sell them, and their narcotic effects take maybe weeks or months to build up, so everyone gets one and no one sees it coming. That way when the *cue alien of the week* comes along, the crew are largely passive, and just sit there, while they are robbed blind

Could make for a good Ferengi episode (maybe it's partially telepathic, so they are immune?) and it would be damn funny if the crew wake up on a sickbay, of another ship, sent to investigate, to discover they have 3 weeks of their lives missing, and their ship has been stripped bare hahahaha
    Ta Muchly

Going along with what TK said earlier, and mixing a little bit of Tobian's ideas, what if someone finds a cute, people friendly creature and finds they make good pets. They seem to adapt well to their new life as companion animals, and their owners say they and their new friends seem so content together, like they can feel the contented nature of the creatures improving their moods.

Untill about a year later, when the 'mating season' starts! Turns out, they ARE telepathic/empathic. That feeling of happiness you get while petting one is infact the creature's own feelings. however, like many cute species here on Earth, mating season is a time of territorial defense, mate seeking and challenging rivals. You could have your players actually do this, or the equivelant; ("No one better use MY PADD!" ; "Have you seen Lt. Jeris?" and my favorite "I think you're a terrible captain! I don't think you could even beat me, a lowly Ensign!")

As the situation decends into madness, your crew is gonna have to figure out some way to screen out those thoughts. You could use phermones if you want, instead of telepathic signals.