Thread: Solo Adventure Session: Klingon Diplomat

Solo Adventure Session: Klingon Diplomat

I'm looking for any solo (Player plus GM) adventure suggestions for one of my players whose character is a Klingon Diplomat currently engaged in an officer exchange programme with Starfleet in 2371. He's currently assigned to the USS Encrenaz, a Nova class vessel), and I believe the player would like a scenario that would allow him to utilise his diplomatic skills.

Fire away with your suggestions! I'll be running the scenario on 12th May - this coming Saturday. Thanks in advance for your assistance!!!

Here's one I did in my Star Trek: Relic campaign. I ran it in the Dyson Sphere, but it could be done on a remote planet.

120 or so years ago (adjust to fit your campaign), just prior to TOS, the Klingon battlecruiser IKV BortaS (which inspired the long-running Klingon holodrama series Battlecruiser Vengeance disappeared after a raid on Romulus. The BortaS was already legendary, and its diappearance without a trace after this daring raid only added to its mystique. Popular myth holds that the ship and crew achieved such glory and honour that they ascended to Sto-vo-kor to join the Black Fleet.

Fast-forward to the present. A Federation ship has discovered the command boom of the BortaS crash-landed on a remote planet in Federation space (picture the Enterprise-D saucer landing in Generations). Most of the crew survived (hey! even Klingon use structural integirty fields and inertial dampers!). They conquered the surrounding area and built a feudal mediæ culture. The command boom is now the central edifice in a medium-sized city, more or less the way castles are in many European cities. The descendants of the crew'ssecurity force are the equivalent of knights, wearing armour that resembles the classic movie/Next Gen uniform.

These Klingons of course resemble TOS Klingons, and therein lies the rub. The Klingon Empire is terrified (but in a manful honourable way!) that the genetic scourge will once again sweep the Empire. Many members of the High Council want to "nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure." The Federation of course will not allow this. In fact, the Klingons on the planet are no longer infectious, but the same developments in the virus that led to this condition also make the cure the Klingons came up with between TOS and STTMP ineffective, so a new cure will need to be found.

Your guy is stuck in the middle of everything, between the UFP and various factions of the Empire, as well as the BortaS descendants. Have fun...

Wink Diplomacy with bat'leth

"The high concil send you to Deep Space 9 to smell cardassian's blood.
    Make as much alliances possible, especially with bajoran factions and maquis.
    Your federation allies must not know your plans and your mission.
    The time to strike is near.
    Qapla!!!'"

Diplomacy, espionnage and maybe combats with potential high repercussion

give a bat'leth and a b'rel to your diplomat....

note: klingon attack cardassian on 2372

@+
    kalamaro, le poulpe of the'avwl' bath

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    . . . Your guy is stuck in the middle of everything, between the UFP and various factions of the Empire, as well as the BortaS descendants. Have fun...
    Ooh . . . tempting!

In my game, the Klingon diplomat was an NPC - the PCs are Starfleet officers exploring the Sphere. Thus, the dynamics of the adventure will be very different, not even taking into account the solo vs. group issue. However, I think the scenario could work well for you.

Attached are a couple of maps I used. For the interior of the BortaS command boom, the old FASA deck plans or the classic Michael McMaster blueprints can be used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for those. Were they made with Campaign Cartographer? If so I purchased a copy of CC3.

The ascenario is going to be more interesting than I thought as the player who runs the First Officer of the Encrenaz is going to be joining the game. Not only conflict of interest between different parties but also PC's!

The closeup of the command boom was drawn in a low-end 2D CAD system and coloured/labelled in Paint Shop Pro 3. The city map was done by hand in PSP3.

Have fun with the scenario.

I've just watched the Enterprise episodes Affliction and Divergence and I'm very tempted to have one of the Klingon factions kidnapping (or attempting) these 'people' as they believe/know that they may be the only successful survivng augments.

Oooooh. You're nasty.

I like that in a GM.

Way I see it is that there's probably going to be a lot of interested parties:

1) Starfleet - going about its daily business i.e. politics
    2) Klingon Diplomat (PC) on officer exchange with Starfleet
    3) First Officer (PC) of the USS Encrenaz
    4) The 'augment' Klingons - with two conflicting 'parties' over the 'interference' by outside agencies
    5) Klingons wishing to repatriate the 'augments'
    6) Klingons wanting the 'augments' for their own political/military ends
    7) Klingons wishing to destroy all traces of the 'augments' to prevent the potential spread of the 'scourge'
    8) Section 31 may show a rather keen interest in re-obtaining augment DNA to create a force capable of fighting the Jem'hadar on equal terms
    9) God forbid that the Romulans get a whiff of this!

Do you think my players will have enough to do?

Have kept meaning to post an update to this!

The PC Klingon Diplomat (officer exchange) ended up disobeying the orders of the first officer (PC) and signalled the Klingon Imperial Diplomatic Corps to report his findings. Unfortunately (for him) two other factions also intercepted the communication - it's always nice when players forget to mention secure channel when communicating information!

The result of which is a three way pitched space battle between those factions wanting to:

a) repatriate the Klingons;
    b) destroy the Klingons due to the threat of infection; and
    c) keep the Klingons in isolation!

'Fortunately', for the Klingon PC, the KIDC managed to force the a) and b) factions to withdraw but not before the PC 'may' have contracted the virus from the natives.

The Starfleet PC first officer has voluntarily put himself up for court martial due to breaking the Prime Directive and losing control of the situation. Well, he did ask for a Kobayashi Maru type situation! We're just waiting for the opportunity to run the court martial sequence for his character with all the other players acting as the jury, prosecutor and defender!