I'm starting a post-Dominion War series using LUG Trek. Likely to be a solo game with my wife, and perhaps a few drop-in players every now and then. I'm looking for some ideas and suggestions.

Mrs. Queeg is playing a Lt. Commander Klingon exchange officer on a Starfleet base in the Gamma Quadrant, called Fortuna Outpost. The Klingon will basically be like a third-in-command, under the outpost Lt. Commander (XO) and Commander (CO). The exchange program is designed to bring the Klingons and Feddies closer together as allies, blah blah blah. It was Worf's idea and Martok and Starfeet Command OKed it. This is set in stone and the basis of the game so don't tell me I'm goofers!

Fortuna Outpost was formerly a Dominion base in a fairly uncharted sector somewhere close to the wormhole. Starfleet wants to rebuild the outpost and use it as a launching-point for scientific exploration, natural resource development, as well as helping the local natives rebuild their once-thriving civilization -- the Turuffu, a former Dominion-occupied species (i.e. they're like the Bajorans in story-role use, but instead they're tall, purple-skinned folks with three fingers, bug-eyes, and scientific-minds).

The following are the basics I've been pondering as a galactic backdrop to the series (parts of this have been lifted from novels -- the Klingon coup stuff, for example -- some is my own warped imagining):

Setting:
Set just after/around Nemesis.

Major Powers:

CARDASSIA
The Cardassians split into three major factions and plunge into civil war. The Revivalist Cardassian Front seeks vengeance against the Founders/Dominion for the destruction of Cardassia in the final days of the war and begrudgingly ally with the Breen to conquer Gamma Quadrant territory and establish a new empire. The New Cardassian Alliance desires normalized relations in the Alpha-Beta Quadrants and extends an olive branch to the Federation, appealing for help rebuilding their shattered world. Station DS9 is chosen as the organizational base for the rebuilding effort, and a Cardassian envoy office is set up there. The third group is more of a loose hodgepodge of nihilists who hate all species and seek nothing but the total destruction of all the major powers involved in the Dominion War, even if it means their own demise.

DOMINION/FOUNDERS
Odo profoundly affects the Great Link and the Founders retreat into a “contemplative” state, unsure of what the treaty with the solids will bring. Relations completely sever with all species. Many Jem’Hadar and Vorta rebel against the Founders, calling them false gods—some appeal to the mercies of the Federation and its allies, while others undergo a spiritual revolution and swear holy vengeance upon the Alpha Quadrant powers under High Theogonist Weyoun IX. A few Jem’Hadar become mercenaries and renegades, owing allegiance to no one. Most former Dominion-ruled worlds in the Gamma Quadrant try to rebuild and forge their own interstellar interests.

FEDERATION
The Federation Council is in turmoil and pays tremendous costs rebuilding from the war. Many sectors are left poorly defended and leeway is granted to experienced world leaders to govern and police their territories. Some turn to harsh measures. The appearance of a strong and unified Federation falls upon Starfleet’s shoulders, although Starfleet Command knows that Federation production, security and relations hang in a delicate balancing act. Within Starfleet, and the Federation as a whole, two primary camps evolve: The Protectionists (who seek to build a strong military fleet and view territorial expansion as the best economic growth policy) and the Progressives (who support infrastructure rebuilding, downsizing the Starfleet, pursuing trade agreements, and exploration as beneficial policies).

KLINGON EMPIRE
After the war Chancellor Martok remains vigilant to his Federation allies, but power hungry factions on the High Council attempt a coup d’etat. With the aid of Federation Ambassador Worf and Lt. Ezri Dax, Martok defeats the coup, but in the fray the Great Hall in the First City is destroyed along with all loyal members of the Klingon High Council. The House of Kraal emerges as the dominant faction against Martok, secretly allying with rogue Jem’hadar to achieve its twisted desire for power.

ROMULAN EMPIRE
The Romulans systematically withdraw from relations with the Federation. The Tal Shiar covertly attacks several Klingon outposts to test the strength of the Klingon-Federation alliance, and plants operatives within Federation space to spy on military reconstruction efforts. In addition, the Tal Shiar secretly supplies the nihilist movement rising in underground Cardassian camps, hoping to destabilize the Alpha Quadrant further. I'd like to bring the Orions in here somehow, perhaps as intermediaries between the Rommies and Cardie groups.

Breen, Gorn, Tholians, et al.
Haven't got around to thinking about these ones yet (other than what's mentioned above) ... probably not likely to use any as a big part of the series though.

Any ideas or suggestion you folks have -- galaxy politics or more episode-focused stuff, or whatever -- are greatly appreciated. I'm kinda jazzed to be running a Trek game again in a game system that feels like a comfy, old shoe.

LQ