Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ST:E Pilot Episode

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Talon Kane:
    -Gary Graham's character almost yelling at Archer. A Vulcan would NEVER do that. Oh, and by the way, he is the ally of the Sulibians if you didn't figure it out.</font>
    I don't think so. The credits on startrek.com list "James Horan as Humanoid Figure", which I presume is the Suliban's future contact.

Yep I agree to.

Whats the point of a Temporal War if nothing is going to be changed.

In any case, reading drom the online script. The Klingons were only checking up on the Sublians 'cause they had more tech then they should.

------------------
    Thats Cpt SIR SIG to you!

More then meets the eye,
    His a MapMaker in disguise.

Exclamation

Right! The temporal cold war will allow B&B to make any modifications to canon they want....
    Maybe in seven years (or sooner, considering it's time slot) we can dismiss the entire Trek franchise as a dream!

[This message has been edited by Fairchild (edited 09-28-2001).]

I think the "points" of the Temperal Cold War are as follows:

1) Provdies a long term villain for the new series.

2) Allows the produces to change/correct any problesm/conflicts with cannon. While this can include such things as devolpment of the transporter and first contact with the Klingons, it could also be used to undo anything. For instance, if the produces decide to drop the "polarized armor" for defelctor shields the can use the time war.

3) It allows for ships and personnel from the furture (especially TNG era) to make guest appearances in ENTERPRISE. Could be neat to see the Enterprise on the OTHER side of the Prime Directive.

4) Explains why ENPTERISE Tech might possibly suprass that in TOS. A few advanced items slip into human hands and we might get phasers and quantum torpeodes way before thier time.

This show is not going to change anyone's opinions, IMO...those going into this expecting to hate it are going to find things to dislike, and those positively inclined will likewise. A lot of it is taste, IMO...

Story and Dialogue: the plot was tight and well built, if a bit conventional in the sense of Trek. The dialogue as written gave us a nice sense of who these characters are, and who they might become.

Acting: we have a fine cast here. This is their “first contact” (as it were) with these characters, so if they seem a bit stiff it is forgivable (esp. if we go back and look at “Encounter at Farpoint” or even “The Cage”). Bakula does a FANTASTIC job as Archer. If there’s a weak link on this chain it’s Jolene Blalock. She needs to quit acting like a Vulcan and be a Vulcan. She ought to take some lessons from Nimoy or Tim Russ.

Production Values: The FX are first rate, the most cinematic of all modern Trek series. Some people have criticized the "look" of the show as being too "modern" for a prequel, but I think the show looks great. I agree with B&B's decision to make "what TOS might look like if it had been invented today".

There is a notable lack of background sound fx, IMO, especially on the bridge, but careful listening will reveal several "homage" sound bits, most notably the TOS "button chirps" from the bridge controls. The use of TOS's communicator "chirp" when flipping one open is another nice touch. There were a couple of moments where I dearly would have loved to have heard the old “red alert” klaxon, but that’s more of a “wish” thing than anything else.

Where the show DOES fall down (again IMO), is the music. There are several good moments (and the snare drums add some nice "lilt" to otherwise standard modern Trek music, but I was really hoping for a more "TOS-esque" score. I can't comment on the opening sequence or the closing one (the opening didn't record and they ran adds over the closing), but I still think a proper theme would be preferable, with the traditional overture and “Space, the Final Frontier…” monologue.

Over all, I give “Broken Bow” 8 stars out of 10…give the cast a chance to ease into their parts and fix the music problems and I think we have a winner on our hands.

------------------
    Deo Vindice!

Thumbs up

Thought Enterprise was GREAT!!

I think this will be the best Trek series to date and I consider Enterprise as Trek.

I do think that the Vulcans displayed too much emotion!
    I do think that they arrived at the Klingon homeworld too quickly. 80 hrs should have been about 160 hrs.
    I failed to see how this first contact with Klingons was disasterous?
    I don't like the temporal time gimmick.

The Romulan Vulcan War began around 2070 and lasted about 100 years, so should't the Vulcans be fighting a war now?

But overall I thought it was great. I told you so!!!!!

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tonyg:
    I think the "points" of the Temperal Cold War are as follows:

1) Provdies a long term villain for the new series.

2) Allows the produces to change/correct any problesm/conflicts with cannon. While this can include such things as devolpment of the transporter and first contact with the Klingons, it could also be used to undo anything. For instance, if the produces decide to drop the "polarized armor" for defelctor shields the can use the time war.

3) It allows for ships and personnel from the furture (especially TNG era) to make guest appearances in ENTERPRISE. Could be neat to see the Enterprise on the OTHER side of the Prime Directive.

4) Explains why ENPTERISE Tech might possibly suprass that in TOS. A few advanced items slip into human hands and we might get phasers and quantum torpeodes way before thier time.
    </font>
    Ugh! I hate it already ... even moreso than the first time I have heard of the phrase "Temporal Cold War."

Please, I beg for mercy. End this story arc/plot immediately.

You would think that when Scott Bakula would be onboard, he won't do another time travel show. It's Sam Beckett all over again. I would not be surprised if the mysterious villain IS Sam Beckett. The last episode of Quantum Leap still have him traveling the Quantum Continuum.

I think I may join with Don, and watch the West Wing instead (ENT airs on Wednesday at 8pm Hawaiian Standard Time; re-airs on Sunday at 9pm HST).

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 09-28-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill Harris:
    I don't think so. The credits on startrek.com list "James Horan as Humanoid Figure", which I presume is the Suliban's future contact.</font>
    Oh damn....you just HAD to ruin my idea huh? Well, B&B may decide later on to make it his character. It would be kind of obvious if the credits listed Gary Graham as both the Vulcan and Humanoid Figure. Ya think?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phantom:
    Kane,

I like your ideas, but you are predisposing one major point, that being that B&B have the brains to come up with it. They don't. I really wish you were writing for the show.

Personally I think the Vulcan situation is another of the "continuity fetishes" B&B talked about.

Also, why would they change the make up for the Romulans...the ridge over the nose...Oh wait, I forgot! We talking about B&B here.

Excellant idea.

</font>
    Phantom,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'd love to write for Trek. I'm currently running a DS9 game and having a blast. The first true campaign I've been so happy with.

Anyway, I think Rick Berman has the brain for my theory. Braga doesn't. So, we'll see what happens.

Another thing I forgot to point out, everyone has noticed all the little holes in Enterprise that don't stick to ST cannon. Well, did you know there are people who work for Paramount to make sure cannon stays cannon!! I mean, come on...Lucasfilm Ltd has a team for the same purpose and they are pretty good about keeping Star Wars cannon in line. Why can't Paramount do the same with Star Trek?? Sheesh... OK, I'm off my soap box now. :-)

Red face

The first "Enterprise" was quite enjoyable. My family and I enjoyed it. The TOS communicator sounds were neat.

However, like most of us, they need to cool it with the near-nudity, curse words and love gel. Please! I had a 9-year-old and wife with me and I was embarrassed.

Besides that, we're looking forward to next Wednesday!

------------------
    Cool Digital Photo
    Retouching
    http://www.abetterreality.net

Arrow

While I agree they should tone down the gratuitous "sex sells" display in favor or more story content, I simply have no problem with them. Trek have always been the one to push the envelope, from an interracial kiss to lesbianism.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Thumbs up

I really liked Enterprise. It was engaging and exciting - something I have not been able to say about a trek series for a long time. I went in expecting to hate this show as I am one of the few who always thought the original series was the One True Trek. (tm)

I was also bothered by the 80 hrs to Quo'nos, much too close! But, I liked the dialog, much more human and realistic to me. I didn't find the titulating scene between Tripp and T'pol that bad. It was eye candy, but it looked to have a purpose. The look on Trip's face as he was applying the gell to T'pols ears - he was arguing with her and atracted as well . . . I think they are going to go for some relationship tension between these characters. I also don't think it was one way - she seemed interested in him as well.

Did anyone else notice the way they treat Yosh? When they went down to Rigel - she was the only one not armed. Also, Cpt. Archer made a point of telling Trip to get her out of there. Are Starfleet women noncombatants? She is in the fleet as Archer makes a point of saying he can order her to join the ship - but why is she unarmed? I also don't remember seeing any other female crew.

Any thoughts?

Leofwyn
    (New to the board)

All my opinion of course. I am quite looking fo

perhaps she is a pacifist?

in which case she is a combat liability
    Dave

The Vulco- Romulan War was 1270 to 1370, and as far as I know canon never gave any time frame for it. The show does not use info made up for the RPG.

------------------
    Games... The... Final Product. These... are the books... of the Star... Trek RPG. Their five... year license. To explore... strange... new roles. To breathe... new... life into get... togethers. To bold... ly play what no... fan... has played... be... fore!

Smile

According to the Voyager episode "Death Wish" the Romulan Vulcan war occurred around 2072 and was ignited by Quinn. This could have meant that the war ended in 2072!

I still think that these full blooded Vulcans showed more emotion than the half Vulcan Spock!

Less eye candy and more plot. Looking forward to next week.