Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ST:E Pilot Episode

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but even I am irritated that Braga and Berman seem to have tossed Roddenberry's canonical material right out the window. Where's the references to Khan? That seemed pretty important in the grand scheme of things.</font>
    Wait. They haven't had a reason to make such a reference yet.

BTW, now that I think about it, I haven't really heard much in way of pre-TOS canon except for Cochrane, WWIII, Khan, the Earth-Romulan War, and UESPA (United Earth Space Probe Agency)...which may be Starfleet's official name; they may just call the organization Starfleet because it sounds better.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I DID like the anachronistic look of the equipment... very submarine in some ways, particularly the whole warp core assembly. I also like the tactile interfaces: knobs, switches, sliders, etc. I also liked the uniforms</font>
    Yes. The warp core kicked ass. Reminded me of the TOS Enterprise's warp core.

Did anybody have a hankerin' to turn on Dr. Dre's Let Me Ride when they saw the Enterprise flying? The damn thing just screams Space Lowrider. Or at least it does to me. But then, so does the Enterprise-A, and the Enterprise-E.

Speaking of stuff you see in East L.A., I thought it was cool they had Tommy Lister, Jr. (the Federation President from The Fifth Element) be the Klingon. I've seen him in a lot of stuff and I think he's cool.

Anyone seen Jolene "T'Pal" Blalock on the cover of <u>Maxim</u> this month? Yowza.

Let's see if B&B can keep from dissing Gene Roddenberry.

------------------
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

[This message has been edited by Game Show Man (edited 09-27-2001).]

joe
    check my "Reason to watch Enterprise" thread on the General Chat page :-)
    Dave

Ok, all-in-all, I didn't hate it. The court is still out if I like it, however.

To be fair, the points I liked

1) All the Earth characters and the Doctor.
    2) It was the most interesting of all the ST first episodes.
    3) I liked how the characters talked like we do..."Right now I'm showing extream restraint by not knocking you on you butt!" Most of Archers lines were good and well delivered.

What I disliked, sorry still a longer list;

1) ALL THE VULCANS, including the Sub-commander. Way too much emotion for our favourite logic based race.

2) The decom scene!

3) The ship! Sorry, not going to let that one go.

4) The fact that now an Enterprise is first contact with the Klingons. And yeah, she did pick up Klingon fast. Didn't she?

5) The sets still seem to big. Didn't leave me with the sub feel.

6) Those still looked like Photons. If they are missiles why not use a similar effect as is used in Andromada?

7) Wow, the lock on circuits for their transporter is light years beyond the tech Kirk and company had to deal with. I seem to remember reading some where that you could hardly move during transport in the early days(including Kirk's time.) Yet, they were able to beam Archer aboard while he was running. Something I don't think even O'Brian would try with TNG tech.

This show might, and this is a VERY big might, yet have merit. I have to admit that I have moved closer to the fence, not a yea-sayer by any means yet, but maybe...as long as they don't totally blow it in the next few episodes. It was good enough for me to give it a chance. We will see.

If anyone wants to take a shot, this is your best chance.

I think Romulan as well. Can't place it, but as soon as I saw the "fuzzy" character I thought "Romulan".

------------------
    In the Praetors name!

Lightbulb

OK, I'll chime in my two cents about the show. Overall, I gave it an 8 out of 10. Here are my tidbits:

- Scott Bakula was really good as the Captain. A no-nonsense type of Captain who is willing to take a risk for the right reasons and stands up for moral value. "You're just going to pull the plug on him?!"

-The other characters were good. I agree with someone else that the linguist seemed rather forced. BUT, it is written that she really does NOT want to be on this ship. So, maybe she came across OK.

-Klingons...YES!

-Sulibians? Nooooo. Don't get me wrong, I thought there were a very good alien race. My problem is introducing new races (like Dr. Phlox) into Star Trek's past. What happened to them in TNG time? I think they could have used a different alien race. Why not Gorns or Andorians? Give us more cannon!

-Speaking of cannon, Brannon Braga screw up YET again. 80 hours from Earth to Q'onos? No way. Especially at Warp 4.5. And travelling from Rigel to another system to another and then to the Klingon homeworld? All within the time the Klingons expected him? No. Not even close.

-Way too much T&A for Star Trek. Honestly, I thought it was unnecessary. A friend pointed out that the 60s series was full of sexual icons (short skirts, go go boots, etc...). True, but this isn't the 60s. If I had a 10 year old son who was watching that last night, I would have been outraged for them to show nipples. Unnecessary.

-The plot overall was pretty good. Nice beginning, strong middle, decent ending. Nice introduction of technology.

OK, here is my last point. A number of people have said that the Vulcans seemed too emotional. I will go on record and say this now, they're Romulans. It makes perfect sense. Note a few of the signs:

-T'pal's ranking is Subcommander. Isn't this a Romulan ranking???

-Gary Graham's character almost yelling at Archer. A Vulcan would NEVER do that. Oh, and by the way, he is the ally of the Sulibians if you didn't figure it out.

-Archer even noticed it when making his ship log, "Why would a Vulcan return a favor?"

-Archer says the Vulcans held them back for so long that his dad could never see his engine fly. But, a Romulan helping to push things forward and making an ally of Earth against the Vulcans and Klingons could be useful for them.

I really think I'm right on this one and it would put a really nice twist on Star Trek history. Opinions?

haven't seen it... won't get to see it for about a year or two.. BUT, one thing all of the canon-purists seem to ignore is the mini-skirts on the female crew members.

who cares if it's the akiraprise, if klingon first contact does not result in a war, or if we see Archer on a holodeck fighting with the borg... I couldn't care less about any of those things (yes this is hyperbole) ... but if you want to make a prequel series.. you gotsa have the SKIRTS!! (and if the possible the boots too!)

COME ON!!

...and I'm only half joking.

Smile

Regarding the De-Contamination Scene...

It was no big deal. Sure, you could see that the scene was done that way to add a bit of titillation. T'Pol and Trip could have had the same discussion while tending to another post landing party mission such as re-calibrating the sensors on the shuttle or something. But, the way the scene WAS done does offer a bit of insight into both characters.

Here we have two members of the opposite sex stripped down to their skivvies and aiding each other in getting to those hard to reach spots with decontamination gel. Now, T'Pol is a Vulcan with suppressed emotions so it's understandable that she would conduct herself in such a business-like manner. And Trip, he's dedicated to his Captain and the conversation they were having during the scene was centered around Archer. So the act of being in their underwear and applying gel to each other became a minor duty. It is apparent that these two characters are going to be the most influential crew members to Archer and it was more abundantly clear as they discussed the fate of Archer's first mission. While we as viewers may have been turned on or off by the voyeuristic nature of the scene, I think it established T'Pol's and Trip's dedication to their loyalties and opinions. The distracting nature of such a predicament did not interfere with what was truly at risk.

Now I'll admit that I didn't mind the eye candy that was Blalock as T'Pol, but in all actuality, the scene wasn't THAT big of deal.

Why are people afraid of nipples?

Those are my thoughts anyway, or at least an attempt to get them across.

Peace...

Dan (OmegaOdd)
    NX-01 Archives
    http://www.geocities.com/enterprisefanfiction

Kane,

I like your ideas, but you are predisposing one major point, that being that B&B have the brains to come up with it. They don't. I really wish you were writing for the show.

Personally I think the Vulcan situation is another of the "continuity fetishes" B&B talked about.

Also, why would they change the make up for the Romulans...the ridge over the nose...Oh wait, I forgot! We talking about B&B here.

Excellant idea.

------------------
    In the Praetors name!

Thumbs up

I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't suck.

I like the Vulcans as the annoying, 'holier-than-thou', self-appointed guardians of humankind. In general I liked most of the characters. I love the sets and the uniforms (especially the ones with ties...nice touch.) I like that the captain has his dog on board. I loved them using the shuttlecraft.

I hate the temporal crap. I would love a single season of Trek without time travel stuff. I hate the linguist chick.

I didn't much care for the Akiraprise, but I think it'll grow on me. A friend had this to comment: the Constitutions were supposedly an Andorian design, weren't they? If that were the case, the NX-01 & Akiras might be the only real examples of human-generated starship design.

I didn't much care for their toddling around in the atmosphere of a gas giant. I could have done without the transporter being used this early, but that's just me.

Overall, I give it a B.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by qerlin:
    I didn't much care for the Akiraprise, but I think it'll grow on me. A friend had this to comment: the Constitutions were supposedly an Andorian design, weren't they? If that were the case, the NX-01 & Akiras might be the only real examples of human-generated starship design.
    </font>
    Uhhh, no. Not that I have ever heard. Canon or non-canon. AFAIK the Connies are a human design, probably with help from the others, particularly the Tellerites.

------------------
    In the Praetors name!

Arrow

<font size=+1 color="red"><center>SPOILER WARNING</center></font>

The first episode of ENTERPRISE ... is decent.

Surprisingly, the story is well-paced for that two-hour timeslot, a rarity under Braga's leadership.

Some scenes are gratuitous, despite the male hormones in me. They should use less of that scenes and devote more to introducing the characters a little better. So far, I only know of the Captain's history (and his father being one of the designers of the Warp 5 engine), a little of Mayweather's (a space boomer, born and raised in a spaceship) ... and that's about it.

Heck, I would prefer that some of the extras (i.e., the rest of the crew) have speaking roles besides the mess hall scene, since there is supposed to be less than a 100 crewmembers. It would demonstrate the Captain willingness to bond with them. It also a way to assert his leadership with that kind of attention toward his followers.

I like the way they set up a conflicting relationship between T'Pol and the Captain, as well as Engineer "Trip" Tucker (how appropriate his nickname, considering his piloting skill).

Dr. Phlox (I swear this sounds like some weird medicine for hemorrhoid) got some nice intro ... but his smile (CG effect, no doubt) weirded me out. How ironic that he is using extraterrestrial "leeches" to treat his patient. It reminds me of the remarks Dr. McCoy made while he visited the 20th Century in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

The bad point? Considering that I HATE temporal episodes (anything to do with time travel or traveler from the future), this "temporal cold war" plot is not sticking with me. I can only hope they resolve this story arc in fewer episodes (hopefully one more concluding episode) within the first season. Or ignore it, like that "worm" alien in TNG (even though that would have been a good story arc).

Again, ENT launched off to a decent start, just as her first mission (transporting a Klingon, whom they temporarily lost the passenger along the way, and subsequently found him).

P.S. I do like the widescreen/HDTV format, even though I don't have HDTV. Maybe in the near future, Paramount may consider redoing previous TV series in widescreen format, but that is wishful thinking.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 09-27-2001).]

I liked it, it bodes well for a series. Anyone seen "Encounter at Farpoint" lately? Ugh. "Caretaker" (Voyager Premier, correct?) was mediocre at best and the DS 9 Premier ranged from so-so to okay. Heck, judging by that standard "Broken Bow" is the best of the lot. Of course a premier does not a series make and B&B are in the doghouse for Voyager as far as most trek fans are concerned so whatever they do will be seen with suspicion (they earned it, so let them wallow in the contempt of the Trek fanbase).

I am with OmegaOdd and Talon Kane's Friend on the decontamination scene. I have no problem with nipples, my best friends have nipples . Was it Trek? Not really. Was it eyecandy? Yes, although I do not like the Vulcan chick's looks myself it was definitely intended to incite sexual interest. Tasteless? Sure but so what? If it takes some skin to keep you on air, you pony it up. This is the TV biz people. Eventually they might have a real female with more than a half ounce of bodyfat and I will be much happier about tasteless scenes then let me assure you.

I also agree with Talon Kane about Gary Graham's Vulcan character. To wit: I also think he was the temporal "advisor" (I caught an ear in that haze although it might have been my imagination). However I doubt he is a Vulcan, I surmise that he is a Romulan Deep-mole. The only plot hole is how easily that his temper was revealed. Think about it, he was determined to drag back the Klingon dead. No doubt along the way he would have just lost the body and claim that someone jumped their ship (This would start a war with the Vulcans? okay, no problem). Best solution for the Temporal baddies right?

In regards to the Temporal Cold War, this is where the real fun will begin boys and girls, ladies and gentleman. B&B want to change some Canon right? why not just blame any changes that they make on the Temporal Cold War? The first contact with Klingons was supposed to be horrific right? As someone else pointed out, this was hardly horrific, but this "Broken Bow" incident wasn't supposed to be our first contact with the Klingons. Time changed because the "advisor" was doing his thing in the past and thus the Klingon landed in a Cornfield on Earth (sent on his way by another pawn in the Cold War apparently with information on how the “Advisor” has been changing Klingon events in the past to destabilize the future). No Advisor and the Humans would not have had to return him, no advisor and the circumstances for first contact with the Klingons would have been totally different. Taaaaaa-daa! Any other changes that come up from GR's original Canon can be chalked up to Temporal alterations created by this little Cold War. Add a wrinkle to what we have seen so far: remember, nobody fights a Cold War against themselves, so undoubtedly there will be 'good guys' (or at least bad but pro-Starfleet) involved as well, mucking and remucking the timeline for Archer & Co’s benefit. Example: Supposed to be no Phaser/Phase Pistol's in this timeline? Well there were not until the Pro-Starfleet Temporal Interloper provided them or some technology that directly led to them in an attempt to jump-start Fed technology in this area. (Imagine how different Federation history would have been if Picard had not been kidnapped by the Borg in “Best of Both Worlds” because the phasers of the bridge crew were able to drop the Borg assailants?)

Temporal Cold War = License to Change Canon.

Really want to get twisted? The entire TNG series was essentially an Arc, beginning and ending with Q and his little trial on humanity. What if this story is the beginning of an arc about the Temporal Cold War, and the last episode sets everything right? Last scene: Jump to the beginning, only the way it should have been with Archer & Co. in a Daedelus-class without the influence made by a 24th century Akira on his father and the Warp Five design team as a preliminary part of the Cold War. Great shades of Bobby Ewing!

Arrow

But there is a difference between the TNG's "Q" arc and the ENT's "Temporal Cold War" arc: I LIKE Q. I LOVE to hate him as an arrogant antagonist turned into quirky supporter of humanity in the end. The unknown antagonist that is the crux of the "Temporal Cold War," I have no feeling of hate or love of hate toward that mysterious person. Even the time traveler's lackey, the Suliban, did not impress me. I guess I need a motive, a reason why they antagonize Captain Archer and his ship's mission, other than the stated fact (the Klingon courier is bringing home information that will stop the fighting within the Empire).

I can only hope they follow pre-Braga VOY's approach when they dealt with the Kazon: conclude the arc quickly.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Talking

Well, I watched the premiere on a very new UPN affiliate (so new that they weren't even sure if the station would be up by then but they made it just in time and it was very buggy) and I enjoyed it. I think that the setup story wise is looking very much DS9-esque with the exception being that they are having a lot more fun with it production wise. Seeing as DS9 is my favorite Trek series I am enjoying that aspect immensely.

I like the new CG, the new enemies (the Suluban er whatever), Dr. Phlox (What do you do before medical tricorders? Autopsy!) and basically all of the crew as well as their much welcomed non-federation attitudes toward their jobs. They are breaking protocol and I am loving every minute of it!

However that does not mean that I have no complaints.

Capt. Archer (Scott Bakula): I don't like him right now. He's too soft hearted and seems to lack a strong serious side. I think Bakula would do well to adopt some of the more serious demeanors of the previous captains (ie.: Sisko and Janeway) and try to develop more of an angry side. It just seems to me like everyone else on the crew is more intimidating than him and that needs to get ironed out fast.

T'Pal: Seems like now we can expect a Seven of Nine in every Star Trek franchise from now on. By that I mean a hottie (this one having I think even bigger knockers) from the antagonists (in this case, pseudo-antagonist Vulcans) who doesn't hesitate to voice negative opinions to everything the other characters do. The big difference in her case though is that she is meshing in with the crew much more rapdily than Seven did so I hopethey will get rid of that "high and mighty" attitude soon.

All that aside, here's what I'd like to see them do in the show.

1.) Find Zephram Cochran. He's out there in space somewhere exploring and I hope they fing him and show him how far things have come for earth.

2.) Show how the Borg began. I know it's asking a bit much but I'd like to see it if they'd work it in somehow. They haven't been around forever and obviously someone invented the technology so it'd be nice.

3.) A full-scale war. I think that it would be sweet to see what would be the first space naval battle open up bettween the fledgling earth and some other force.

Here's to hoping!

[This message has been edited by Klingermann (edited 09-27-2001).]

Wow. I was really impressed!

The opening credits were great- different from what we've had before, really showing the spirit of adventure and exploration that Trek is it's best ongoing theme. They had the important thing- they might stretch details but they had the FEEL of the show perfect for that era.

This is it folks, the beginning of the great age of exploration. Humans aren't a smug race backed with an immense, technically and socially superior Federation. They're uncertain yet brave, making the first steps into a huge and dangerous yet amazingly complex galaxy.

The characters interested me, the plot was simple enough to be understood but complex enough- and important enough- to be interesting.

The plot was moved forward by skill, daring, and intiative of the characters... not technobabble and deux ex machinas. And there's the clues of an unfolding long-term story.

I was pleasantly suprised. And hope they can keep up the good work.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Publius:
    In regards to the Temporal Cold War, this is where the real fun will begin boys and girls, ladies and gentleman. B&B want to change some Canon right? why not just blame any changes that they make on the Temporal Cold War? The first contact with Klingons was supposed to be horrific right? As someone else pointed out, this was hardly horrific, but this "Broken Bow" incident wasn't supposed to be our first contact with the Klingons. Time changed because the "advisor" was doing his thing in the past and thus the Klingon landed in a Cornfield on Earth (sent on his way by another pawn in the Cold War apparently with information on how the “Advisor” has been changing Klingon events in the past to destabilize the future). No Advisor and the Humans would not have had to return him, no advisor and the circumstances for first contact with the Klingons would have been totally different. Taaaaaa-daa! Any other changes that come up from GR's original Canon can be chalked up to Temporal alterations created by this little Cold War. Add a wrinkle to what we have seen so far: remember, nobody fights a Cold War against themselves, so undoubtedly there will be 'good guys' (or at least bad but pro-Starfleet) involved as well, mucking and remucking the timeline for Archer & Co’s benefit. Example: Supposed to be no Phaser/Phase Pistol's in this timeline? Well there were not until the Pro-Starfleet Temporal Interloper provided them or some technology that directly led to them in an attempt to jump-start Fed technology in this area. (Imagine how different Federation history would have been if Picard had not been kidnapped by the Borg in “Best of Both Worlds” because the phasers of the bridge crew were able to drop the Borg assailants?)

Temporal Cold War = License to Change Canon.

Really want to get twisted? The entire TNG series was essentially an Arc, beginning and ending with Q and his little trial on humanity. What if this story is the beginning of an arc about the Temporal Cold War, and the last episode sets everything right? Last scene: Jump to the beginning, only the way it should have been with Archer & Co. in a Daedelus-class without the influence made by a 24th century Akira on his father and the Warp Five design team as a preliminary part of the Cold War. Great shades of Bobby Ewing!
    </font>
    I bow to you, Publius. That is exactly my idea, but you have explained better than I could explain.