Thread: Smooth-headed Klingons

Smooth-headed Klingons

Well, I finally saw the ENT episodes that explain why there are smooth-headed, swarthy Klingons in TOS but not in other Star Trek eras. I think the explanation is plausible (w/i the realm of science fiction plausibility) and seems to make sense to me generally. Although the ep doesn't explain whether all Klingons were infected w/ this genetic agent or just some of them. Also, we still don't know how the Klingons cured themselves of this genetic alteration.

However, I still can't figure out why this knowledge was completely forgotten by the Federation in the 24th century. And why are most Starfleet personnel unaware there once existed smooth-headed Klingons in the 23rd century?

Clearly, Starfleet had encountered Klingons in the TOS era & saw what they looked like. I'm sure there are visual records of Klingons from this era in the Starfleet database. But by the 24th century, it seems most Starfleet crews didn't realize the Klingons were once swarthy & smooth-headed (as evidenced by the DS9 ep Trial & Tribblations).

So it seems there would be still some questions to be answered in any future Star Trek series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    However, I still can't figure out why this knowledge was completely forgotten by the Federation in the 24th century. And why are most Starfleet personnel unaware there once existed smooth-headed Klingons in the 23rd century?
    Starfleet textbooks are remarkably text-heavy?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

'cause the 23rd C eps were shot before good make-up effects?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well, let's look at our own time. Are you extensively knowledgable of Polish dress, customs, slang, etc. from 1900? Or Greek? Or Russian? If the last 75-100 years of knowledge has been of bumpy-headed Klingons (especially since famous Klingons like Kor and Koloth have ridges again in the 24th Century) and the Klingons themselves don't like to talk about it (and probably actively suppressed images, etc., from that accursed time, once genetics overcame the effects of the virus), I could easily see people forgetting that the Klingons, for some 120 years or so, had no ridges. It's likely a medical footnote, more than anything else.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

To answer one of the other implied questions - at least one of the TOS-era novels - Vanguard: Summon the Thunder, set in 2265 - had a scene with a Klingon planetary governor with ridges on his head commanding troops composed almost entirely of the smooth-headed type of Klingon. It gave the TOS type of Klingons a name in Klingon - QuchHa' - and the governor, at least, was of the opinion that this type of Klingon often had difficulty with honorable behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Well, let's look at our own time. Are you extensively knowledgable of Polish dress, customs, slang, etc. from 1900?
    Yes!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I still like to think that the Smooth Klingons rose to power, threw away most of the 'Traditional' elements of Klingon society (bellicose behavior, honor above all things, wearing lots of leather etc.) and set up the society (at least superficially, maybe there were secret groups still following the old ways and/or ridged Klingons were 2nd class citizens) more like the one we saw in TOS. imho.

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    I like feeling that the Klingons deliberately engineered Romulan and Human Fusions in the 2220s out of a strange belief of how the fusions were the ideal foes that could easily fight on non-Jungle worlds, with Kor, Kang and Koloth getting reengineered into ridge heads to keep eventual civil war from breaking out, and..

Otherwise, It's what John M. Ford's Klingons (And the FASA ones) pretty much are.

And I generally have TNG fusion klingons, only they are very rare, except for a few fusion-heavy colony worlds.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.