Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonial Battlestar Resurrected Series Spacedock version

Sorry for being gone for a while I was experincing some net working server problems. my nunbers expired????? Do not under stand it all but back. Just got back on line just a little while ago. 131 E-mails had to check out and deal with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Viper

Not the page I was looking at but close enough to work. If the "Number of emitter" line is what is throwing you or I call them Rail Guns or something... I used number of emitters for the need to limit the number of shot for the gamers. Yet the Galactica can launch a devastating barage on the opponets ship with little effort in a single rouns.

That's my fault as I fighured out that the rounds were fired from the Galactica by rail guns.

I've got to go I need sleep for work tonight.

Raul Guns and Gauss Weapons are still treated as projectile weapons in Spacedock, are they not? Forgive me as I am a but rusty with the system.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I see were back up.

As the sight that I used to generate the Battlestar Galactica and ships.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

As for the Rail Guns and Gauss Weapons i'll have to take a look at the rule for that when I get a day off next weeken.

As far as i know there are no specific rules for Projectile Weapons in SD.

Probably a point to debate about.

But for simplicities sake i would stick to the Energy weapons rules.

On the other Hand Projectiles have a far lower effective Range (due to the fact that the projectiles can not travel at the speed of light.)

Another question that raises its ugly head is naturally how to resolve the hailstorms of Projectiles the Galactica throws at enemy fighters in game terms.

Probably the damage value represents a whole burst of Projectiles.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

I look at the mini-photon torpedoes and rockets as good examples of projectile weapons . . . because of the way they are projected they have limited range . . . however, they can deal damage equal to their internal explosives. However, for weapons which are based purely on the force given to them during their projection their force should be determined that way.

And if assuming that the machine gun like apparatuses are not rail guns, then they wouldn't be very powerful at all. However, if we assume their are rail or gauss weapons . . . that's a different story all together.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I look at the mini-photon torpedoes and rockets as good examples of projectile weapons . . . because of the way they are projected they have limited range . . . however, they can deal damage equal to their internal explosives. However, for weapons which are based purely on the force given to them during their projection their force should be determined that way.
    As far as i understand the missiles are running under their own power (so they can be self guided) the launcher mainly serves to give them a advantage in speed (probably to save energy otherwise wasted on propulsion instead of explosive power). Torpedoes launched with the assistance of a launcher don't need a large propulsion system compared to those launched without one.

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

However, the bullets from the weapons, unless they are missiles, are not explosive . . . therefore the damage done by them come from the energy put into them when launched . . . this energy gets transfered to the target when the bullet impacts it, causing the damage.

Now, if we're talking about missiles, which they have, but in limited quantity, their damage power is done by the explosives contained within its warhead. Although damage could be caused by the impacting weapon itself, it is insignificant in comparison to the damage done by the exploding warhead, and is thus not really figured into its damage stat.

So how would bullets be rated for the damage which it inflicts upon its target in Spacedock?

I would argue (and this is getting more into the rules of spacedock and not the ships you are creating) that the damage would be a constant, as there is no air to slow down the bullet when it travels in space. And that constant would depend on the force used to launch the bullet at the target.

with projectiles the damage depends both on the mass of the projectile and the power it receives from its gun. The more mass a projectile has the more force it can project on the target (and needs more power to be accelerated as well).

I probably look up the rules in travellers Fire, Fusion and Steel but alas i found the math in the fourth edition to be somewhat lacking.

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Lets look on a real live Projectile:

A Bullet being shot from the M2HB weights about 43 grams. The Muzzle Velocity is 930 m/s; Muzzle Energy 18539 J;
    The M2 can fire ca. 500 Rounds per minute about 40 Rounds per combat turn.

Maximum Effective Range on Earth is about 2000 m. A Rail gun probably fires twice as many Rounds and possesses a higher a higher muzzle energy as well.
    I suppose effective Weapons range in space is muzzle velocity times/2 maybe 3.

Damage should be conected to the muzzle velocity and the mass of the Round.
    Any suggestions?

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

That is assuming that we are watching them fire a rail gun rather then a machine gun. While I have my doubt about a rail gun, the theoretic possibility of them being technologically capable of miniturizing the component of such a weapons is well within technological possibility to doubt they can. However, part of me feels that to give the genra that capability would be a bit overestimating their abilities. Your milage may very, of course, and is highly dependent on ones own opinion on the matter.

However, assuming that they do they the capability, assuming that the muzzle velocity is 2.75*930 m/s, and due to space there is no speed degregation of time . . . 2557.5 m/s . . . and using the wonderful calculator found on this page you get an answer of 109.9725 newton worth of force per round fired.

Therefore, let us assume that based on this number each round does .1 point of damage, meaning that each round one rail gun does 4 points of damage per round. Therefore, if done in mass all these rounds could easily overwhelm the shield before it recharges. However, given their relatively small nature, on their own a single round is relatively insignificant.

I just wanted to give an update on the Battlestar in combat. The adventure brought about three engagements between the Colonies and the Cylon Forces.

The Battlestars got their clocks cleaned in two of the three engagements. Not so much from the design not working just a bunch of bad rolls of the dice.

colonial battlestar resurrected series spacedock version

hello,

i was wondering what they would look like in spacedock. basestars are not armed with anything other than raiders and missiles (they have no armor due to the special nature of there ftl drives,)

i would have thought the bstars would have been bigger. cant wait to see more.