Thread: Abbreviations

Post Abbreviations

This may seem like a dumb question, but I've seen many different abbreviations floating around these boards and was wondering what they all mean. I've managed to decipher a few, like IMHO (in my humble opinion?) and IIRC (if I remember correctly?). One I've seen recently that I couldn't figure out was ISTR. If you have/use any others, please post 'em here so I know what the heck you're talking about!

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

Library Computer Access and Retrieval System. That's the software used for those hideous isolinear computers on Starfleet ships.

When you hear about LCARS style in a webpage, let your mind form the image of TrekRPG.net, with all those curves and buttons. I'm beginning to hate it.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

I despise the LCARS look myself, but on TrekRPGnet, for whatever reason, I find it comforting It's the only place it doesn't make me retch.

I was particularly disturbed by LUG's "diploma" in the Starfleet Academy Boxed Set. I find it terrifying that 24th-century society is so devoid of style that they'd apply the LCARS look to a diploma. They'll be redisigning the uniforms to include it, next ...

That would be "I seem to remember."

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."

What does LCARS mean?

I see it in the adventures posted by Dave Biggins.

Thanks in advance,

Kronok

[This message has been edited by Kronok (edited 01-30-2001).]

LOL (now there's another one), now that's something I'll be waiting for!
    Actually, have you ever noticed that villains often get better style/dressing taste than heroes?

Talking

<hr>Actually, have you ever noticed that villains often get better style/dressing taste than
    heroes?
    <hr>

Haven't you heard? In the standard villian contract it states "The villian will have a superior fashion sense compared to the heroe's" I can't remember which paragraph or subsection, BUT I do remember seeing it there.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Wink

Yeah, but the fashion clause in the villain's contract never helps them...there's a fine-print clause (which most villains never seem to read before signing) which states that "...in any given shoot-out, the villain must always miss the hero(es) by the barest of margins, although sidekicks may be killed with the first shot."

------------------
    Diagonally parked in a Parallel Dimension...