Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God, I MISS the old Fasa system

Hi Allen!
    If you are still willing to part with it and don't find someone else on the forum who is volunteering to relieve you of the game in all it's glorious condition I would be eagerly glad to be the happy person who get's it. I do have all the FASA ship construction manuals but neither the rpg nor the combat sim so the stats never made so much of a sense to me. Getting a copy of the combat sim for postage only would be the perfect solution of this problem...
    Best regards,

Storm of the million spheres

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Allen, thanks for the offer of the Starship Combat book, but I actually managed to find one on e-bay that didn't cost $300 !

My group has also given CODA another go- and we've been playing it for a couple of months now pretty successfully.

I still love the FASA game and the system (it is one of the easiest systems to learn and to play) - but $250 for Trader Captain & Merchant Princes was just too much - and we dearly love our civilian DS9-esque characters.

FASA Trek still cannot hold a candle to ICE's MERP, though. At least not as far as pricy books go. - $1,200 for a copy of ICE's The Shire supplement !

I have a large chunk of the Fasa material on one of my harddrives

Quote Originally Posted by General Chang View Post
    I miss the old FASA system. I had some friends who shared many epic battles in the old Starship Combat Simulator system...and it was made even more fun when we used ships we generated from ye' olde Construction Manual.

Ahhhh...the good ol' days.

(NOTE: I did very much enjoy --but NEVER got to use-- the version that came out after, which had RPGs for Classic Trek, TNG, and DS9. That was some cool stuff.)

General Chang....aka Martok2112 on most other boards.

I agree. I sorely miss the old FASA ST: RPG. Some of the happiest years of my life were GMIng this game in the mid-80s. One never forgets one's first love.

byteknight

www.fasatrekker.blogspot.com
    ----
    Byteknight

Please visit my gaming blog at

http://fasatrekker.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    FASA is terrific. It's based on a percentile system, and is very un-crunchy. Character generation is a bit long-winded; rumor has it the designers were influenced by Traveller, so you do a whole "military history" thing for your character, to get skills before they enter actual game play.

But, you can't die during character generation, and you can even come out playing the captain right of the bat if you want

That's FGU's Space Opera.... which I tried to play Trek in once... not a fun experience...
    Ah yes the fun part of Traveller the risk of death during character generation. I believe three of my characters never made it past generation.

You've got to be kidding! The character could die during creation? What the hell? How does a character die during creation? It must have been a joke by the publishers; I hope they really didn't mean for your character you've spent time making to die and never be used.

I've collected a couple of the Traveller sourcebooks out of curiosity and their potential for adding flavor to my LUG stuff, but I've never seen the Traveller corebook. I seriously need to find me a copy once I'm able to have a little pocket money to play with.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Indeed they could, it wasn't a joke as character creation usually spanned 10's of years in character terms. Basically the longer you stayed in character creation the longer you had a chance of having a mishap. It wasn't uncommon to have 20 years go by, which when dealing traveller means there was a chance smething happened to you in that time.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    Indeed they could, it wasn't a joke as character creation usually spanned 10's of years in character terms. Basically the longer you stayed in character creation the longer you had a chance of having a mishap. It wasn't uncommon to have 20 years go by, which when dealing traveller means there was a chance smething happened to you in that time.
    It happend to me. After one Hour in the creationprocess my character died during an emergency. My DM had me do it all over again. Later Publications made not use of this rule. The new publications by Mongoose present it as an optional rule.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Might have to give the Mongoose version a try, I've played the original version as well as the Gurps Traveller and I read the D20 version but no one was interested in trying it .

There used to be a magazine I've forgotten it's name but it used to publish scenarios for Traveller, Star Wars and Fasa Trek. I remember one of them in which the entire crew died because someone broke quarantine procedures. The maps and plots were really well laid out.

I believe you mean Challenge magazine and you are right, it was a great publication.

As for dying during chargen in Traveller. I have a program that generates Traveller characters using the original rules and I would say roughly 40% die before the process is over.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Yes!! thats the one

Chello!

I always ruled that if a character had a mishap in creation, that it counted as a half term (2 years); did not count for benefits training, etc.; and that creation ended at that point.

I believe that become a "real" rule in MegaTraveller. I've also heard of a lot of people using that as a houserule as well.

Just a thought for any LBB Travellers anywhere.
    Anthony N. Emmel, M.A.
    Learned Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760
    "England expects that every man will do his duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Hi Allen!
    If you are still willing to part with it and don't find someone else on the forum who is volunteering to relieve you of the game in all it's glorious condition I would be eagerly glad to be the happy person who get's it. I do have all the FASA ship construction manuals but neither the rpg nor the combat sim so the stats never made so much of a sense to me. Getting a copy of the combat sim for postage only would be the perfect solution of this problem...
    Sorry for the extremely long wait for a reply...haven't been here for awhile.

I'd be happy to send it to you. Postage of course is a bit higher since I believe you are in Germany, but that's fine. send a message to allensh1 AT chartermi dot net and we can hash out the details.

Allen

There are advantages to turning 50...like when a friend decides to buy you a gift of of eBay...a nice condition copy of the first edition boxed set of FASA's Star Trek the Role Playing Game with the dice and unpunched counters This is in such good shape that the 1983 FASA catalog in the box has no staple rust at all.

The second edition was, of course, great...but I have a real nostagia itch to run an adventure for this.

Allen