Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God, I MISS the old Fasa system

God, I MISS the old Fasa system

I miss the old FASA system. I had some friends who shared many epic battles in the old Starship Combat Simulator system...and it was made even more fun when we used ships we generated from ye' olde Construction Manual.

Ahhhh...the good ol' days.

(NOTE: I did very much enjoy --but NEVER got to use-- the version that came out after, which had RPGs for Classic Trek, TNG, and DS9. That was some cool stuff.)

General Chang....aka Martok2112 on most other boards.
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

I used FASA's rules for several Star Trek campaigns, both miniatures and roleplaying, but ultimately preferred the treatment which both ICON and CODA gave the franchise. It does bring back memories, though... I still remember seeing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on opening night, twenty-five years ago.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I've never seen an RPG system that plays as smooth as FASA's Trek system. True, a large part of this smoothness comes from a good GM- but the percentile system is just so easy to work with for the mathematically challenged !

I still use it.Gettin' ready to start the 2nd season of my latest game.(it suprised me my group liked it better than my other campaigns(24th Cent Domunion War).Lost one of my players to The Marines for 4 yrs(or more).I tryed to start a CODA game but no one wanted to switch systems;which was fine with me as the CG portion of the books was giving me a migraine.

Quote Originally Posted by FASAGrrl View Post
    I've never seen an RPG system that plays as smooth as FASA's Trek system. True, a large part of this smoothness comes from a good GM- but the percentile system is just so easy to work with for the mathematically challenged !
    West End Games had probably the simplest RPG system when they had the license to Star Wars the Role Playing Game.

D6 system....highest roll wins.

But yes, I loved the percentage system of the old FASA Star Trek game.
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by General Chang View Post
    West End Games had probably the simplest RPG system when they had the license to Star Wars the Role Playing Game.

The good old days; where have they gone...
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Ohhhhh.... I adore WEG's d6 system for Star Wars ! As a matter of fact, I'm playing in a d6 Star Wars game tonight. For nearly 7 years now I've been in a campaign playing a Twi'lek smuggler captain (among other characters).

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    The good old days; where have they gone...
    TED: All we are is dust in the wind.

SOCRATES: AH! AH!!! Like sands through the hourglass....so are the days of our lives!

Ohhhhh.... I adore WEG's d6 system for Star Wars ! As a matter of fact, I'm playing in a d6 Star Wars game tonight. For nearly 7 years now I've been in a campaign playing a Twi'lek smuggler captain (among other characters).
    Frak! I wish I hadn't lost all my old RPG stuff in storage. I used to have a massive West End Star Wars collection and a respectable FASA Trek collection (mostly for the Starship Combat Game).

I envy you. Have a great game tonight.

WEG D6 Star Wars was the first RPG I played (bar a stillborn Ctuhlu adventure). I'll always keep a fondness for the system (except for the critical misses I kept throwing) and I still recommend it for any RPG initiation: very simple system, well known universe and very easy character creation process.
    Yeah, I know this topic is about FASA, but I have never played it
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Oh, I think we likes sharin' the WEG love too.

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    Yeah, I know this topic is about FASA, but I have never played it [/SIZE]
    FASA is terrific. It's based on a percentile system, and is very un-crunchy. Character generation is a bit long-winded; rumor has it the designers were influenced by Traveller, so you do a whole "military history" thing for your character, to get skills before they enter actual game play.

But, you can't die during character generation, and you can even come out playing the captain right of the bat if you want to.

The easy thing about FASA is that it is all percentile. If a character wants to kick in a door... roll d% against strength. Fire a phaser - d% against Dexterity & Firearm skill averaged...

So, for a total math-doofus like me it is really easy to know what my characters can do, and what they can't.

I don't have to find the square root of my Strength, Dexterity, Agility, Endurance, Height, and Weight, divided by 10 multiplied by 2% to find my damage total...

That's FGU's Space Opera.... which I tried to play Trek in once... not a fun experience...

FASA is terrific. It's based on a percentile system, and is very un-crunchy. Character generation is a bit long-winded; rumor has it the designers were influenced by Traveller, so you do a whole "military history" thing for your character, to get skills before they enter actual game play.

But, you can't die during character generation, and you can even come out playing the captain right of the bat if you want to.

The easy thing about FASA is that it is all percentile. If a character wants to kick in a door... roll d% against strength. Fire a phaser - d% against Dexterity & Firearm skill averaged...

So, for a total math-doofus like me it is really easy to know what my characters can do, and what they can't.

I don't have to find the square root of my Strength, Dexterity, Agility, Endurance, Height, and Weight, divided by 10 multiplied by 2% to find my damage total...

That's FGU's Space Opera.... which I tried to play Trek in once... not a fun experience...
    Good Lord, I remember I used to have the Aliens Role Playing Game, and it was a real witch to try and figure out mathematically.

RPG's should just keep it simple.

Percentages or high number wins, after accounting for plus or minus modifiers. That's about as complex as ANY RPG should get.

Never got around to actually play FASA. But a group I used to game with 20 years ago was planned to play it, and we did get through char gen.

I probably still have the character sheet for the science officer I was to play. If I recall correctly, there is a "luck" attribute, and it was somewhere in the vicinity of 95. A party animal that had manage to get by on luck instead of skill

To bad we never got around to actually play it.

Good Lord, I remember I used to have the Aliens Role Playing Game, and it was a real witch to try and figure out mathematically.
    Wasn't that one based on Phoenix Command, which the Living Steel RPG was based on as well? I managed to get some high paced gaming out of those as well. Just needed a few pre-calculations. But I guess it would fit better in a computer based tactical game...