Thread: Dr. Who 3rd Season

Dr. Who 3rd Season

Starts up in the U.S. this Friday on Sci-Fi Channel. I can't wait. I hope it's as good as the 2nd season.

Doctor Who to get extra companion
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6260374.stm

I think it has just ended in the UK (please no spoilers!). I have seen around half of it and found it overall good, although maybe a bit behind the previous seasons, but that's just me
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Well that was blatantly obvious after the end of season 2

I think you'll enjoy it. Overall I think it was better in places, and 'Blink' has to be one of my favourite episodes so far hehe The Finale was COOL!
    Ta Muchly

Blink was excellent. As was Human Nature/Family of Blood*. Oddly both doctor-lite episodes. but really. Blink. If you only watch 1 episode of this series thats the one.

While the final 3 episode arc was intermident it was enjoyable overall, but be warned it does have it faults, although 2 classic sci-fi movie homages managed a drop-in. Martha as assistant was unfortunately under-used, which might be a side effect of new-characters and perhaps an arc that was originally planned for Rose?

However, you will see what i mean, and I hope that the situation is corrected from this point on.

Spoiler;

The name to watch out for this season is Mister Saxon

Enjoy.

(* edited for both episode names which I had forgotton one earlier)
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 07-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Yep definitely Blink was the best episode! Family of blood, it simply failed to move me much. Jessica Stephensons performances, and Tennant with her, were fabulous but the plot made little sense really. The conclusion to the plot was naff, but the end scenes were good beyond that I shouldn't say more hehe

and yes, you can even see him in Torchwood - nice bit of continuity
    Ta Muchly

It kind of sucks that RTD doesn't actually seem to be all that good...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Finally finished watching this season. Overall good, but I keep finding it a bit behind season 2. Martha is definitely an underused character.

I agree Blink was definitely good, and it's probably my favourite, along with Gridlock.
    The finale was good too, if a bit reminiscent of season 2's. Another (very spoilerish!!!) gripe I have with it :

... is the Master. I found him very different from his previous incarnations, and not in a very good way, as he acted like a sort of Mirror Fourth Doctor. Now, regeneration is a good opportunity to change a character's portrayal, but since the 9th and 10th Doctor already are the expansive sort, it now felt as if every Time Lord has to be boucing around and smirking all the time

All in all, I like the way they keep the continuity inside the seasons and episodes. I hope season 4 will be as good (I'm a bit perplexed about Kylie Minogue being in the Christmas episode, but I'll wait till I've seen it).

I keep hoping we would some day be given to see Romana(dvoratrelundar) back, as she's likely to have escaped the Time War since she was stuck in E-Space, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. Would be nice to keep seeing old faces though, and not the usual enemies
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Most people rate this season as slightly better than the last, mainly because of Blink and the Family of Blood arc. The finale is fun if a little odd in places.

Martha is very different from Rose and I think some of the writers had difficulty with that. It's not an issue of missing arcs - RTD seems to plan these things well in advance (the Eccleston departure was planned before they started filming season 1).

So instead we get Donna Tate (I'd bet nobody outside the UK even knows who she is - just assume the worst of British sketch comedy and you won't be far off).

I'm having mixed feelings about this show at the moment.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Oh yeah, Donna. I was oh so relieved when she refused to join the Doctor in the Christmas episode - seems it was only a respite. I must admit though that I don't know if it was her character or her acting that were going on my nerves. But apparently Martha will join again in season 4.

What I found mostly sad with Martha was her crush on the Doctor. Not only was it annoying to have another companion fall for him, but I found sad to have her spending some episodes looking doe-eyedly at him without him noticing

Funnily enough, while I really loved Family of Blood, I was very disappointed by its ending, which made little sense to me. Maybe if I read the novel I will understand it better. And Blink was indeed much better thant Love and Monster, the Doctor-light episode of season 2.

I like the way things are planned in this series - though I'd be really surprised if they had already planned everything with the Face of Boe from its first appearance...
    Terry Pratchett

Love and monster started well, and became AWFUL!!!!! Blink was superb, and I could quite have liked those two to have become the new assistants, it would have been cool!

To be honest, i liked Catherine Tate in the christmas episode. Love or loathe her show, she is actually a very talented actress, outside of the comedy sphere, and I think, as a character, Donna has a hell of an opportunity to grown and change through the series: For one thing, she must become a different person to change her mind! I'm quite intrigued to see how they are going to achieve that!

Well apparently ( I have heard) they ave wrapped on Dr. Who's Christmas episode, so I guess there's going to be quite an amount of post on it!
    Ta Muchly

Doctor Who guest stars unveiled
    Actress Felicity Kendal is to be among the guest stars when Doctor Who returns in 2008, producers have announced.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6939302.stm

So far I've seen several episodes from the 3rd season (including the Xmas special "Runaway Bride") and I like what I've seen. Lots of exciting adventure, drama & comedy.

One thing I've noticed about the current Doctor. He seems to use his sonic screwdriver more often than any Doctor I've previously seen. In a recent episode, I saw for the first time there's a numeric setting on the current version of the sonic screwdriver.

I like Martha as an assistant: for a 21st century Terran, she seems very with it and clever. She really seems to take it all in stride.

But I don't like the 'crush'; she seems to have developed it at first sight (not very professional), and it seems to be all some writers seem to want her to do is sit and lament that she isn't Rose, and there for her feelings are being wasted.

Don't know if this requires spoiler text or not, but I noticed one odd thing about Mr. Saxon:

When he offered Martha's mom a towel and another drink, they played the 'ominous music'! way to telegraph the plot, BBC!

Yes, I have a suspicion on who the mysterious Mr. Saxon is.

I'm sure UK watchers of the show already know his identity.

Well erm, it finished here about a month ago, so yes, I haven't forgot
    Ta Muchly