Thread: My computer is picking on me again!

Unhappy My computer is picking on me again!

I have a question in dealing with my computer. the fix is probably so easy that I'll be ashamed when I get the answer.

I have a Gateway computer with a Pentium III processor. I have an internet account with MSN. Down at the right hand corner of my screen is a finger icon that allows me to activate the modem.

My problem is that the window to activate the modem pops up unbidden. When I'm in Word, this is no problem. I simply close the window.

When I'm playing Baldur's Gate, however, it really wreaks havok with the computer as a whole. Half of the time, I get a warning of a nasty little system failure. If anyone can tell me how to make the window behave, I would really appreciate it!

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Question

At what point does the window pop open? When the system starts up? Sometime after that? Does it do it periodically, or just the once (until you choose to activate your modem)?

There are several options - I'd start by making sure that there is nothing modem-ish in your Startup folder in your Start - Programs menu...

------------------
    Diagonally parked in a Parallel Dimension...

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited 01-23-2001).]

Talking

...and it seems to be working. Thanks, Paul!

Or drop it with MS Config and run manually!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Red face

*sputter* No trick card? No...nothing?

[Late in the season, I know, but after drinking Coors Light for a bit I treated myself to a few Guinesses]