Thread: Weird stuff in PD

Weird stuff in PD

Prime Directive is strange. Beyond the militarism, there's a lot of stuff I just don't get from a design point of view.

What's up with the space-elves? The multiple cat-races?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Well, its based on Starfleet battles, so its all military, all the time! Exploration is apparently an excuse in PD to get more resources and scout out your enemies!

I like multiple feline races! I think its funny that every race in the book I have is a bipedial race...except for that one that looks like a sea slug with eyes! What's up with that?

Don't forget the multiple reptoid species. I think it's interesting that they had ancient progenitor races (Jaguar Kings, Lizard Kings, Old Kings) that seeded all these races. (Klingons even served the Old Kings; that's were they got their tech!) Such an interesting back story to a game that seems to be mostly US Navy in space!

I think the Star Fleet Universe is really cool. I like that there's a bunch of extra things in it which we didn't see in TOS, since there are plenty of things which have appeared in the canon Trek universe since then which otherwise Prime Directive and other Star Fleet Universe games wouldn't have.

I also think it's really cool because it is a fandom created universe which diverged from canon Trek and has now been developing almost as long as Star Trek itself has. It's almost like "Mirror Trek" in that you can see how the actual TV show producers might have chosen to expand upon the universe.

there are the K'zinti, Lyran and the Wyn (the wyn being a renegade faction of Lyran and Kzinti). I've been playing in SFB for about 10 years and it's what Prime Directive is based on BTW the K'zinti are based on Larry Nivens creation. I believe that SFB and PD are baed on TOS and TAS which explains the unusual prevailance of fuzzies

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    there are the K'zinti, Lyran and the Wyn (the wyn being a renegade faction of Lyran and Kzinti). I've been playing in SFB for about 10 years and it's what Prime Directive is based on BTW the K'zinti are based on Larry Nivens creation. I believe that SFB and PD are baed on TOS and TAS which explains the unusual prevailance of fuzzies
    ...so what's the excuse for the space-elves?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    They already had space dwarves, so space elves made a complete set. I mean, it's scifi, who needs an excuse to do anything?
    But if you don't like them, then you don't have to use them. But the weird stuff in PD isn't that weird compared to aliens in just about any other scifi rpg, like say.... little teddy bears with bows and arrows or pools of evil. As for the militarism, all of the TV shows and movies have them doing "military" things like ship battles and wars. It seems that the Federation gets into a war (even if it's a little one) every twenty years or so.
    Last edited by Antonsb214; 10-10-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

space elves

I have to admit that one fazed me too lol I have so far managed to avoid them still you never know .........

Which race are the "elves" I don't recall them off hand.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Arcturians are the space elves. About 5.5 ft tall and 120 pounds. Relatively few in Starfleet, in every division except psionics. Have their own, very potent, martial art.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

...there's a "psionics division"?

There's Arcturans and Arcturians in starfleet the Arcturans are blue skinned big eyed pointy eared white haired space elves the other ones are sort of trollish in looks, both can be seen in star trek 4 at Kirks trial.

memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Arcturian

This link gives info on the second race I mentioned