Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [alt-trek] after BOBW

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    That's great . . . but those people are raised from a very early age to have that type of mental capability.
    Like Vulcans?

But what of a ship out on the rim, say returning from a medium ranged (1-2 year) exploration mission, which is rimward. And find out from observations of the "silent" federation, scans of some effected ships . . . and warning bouys . . . what do they do as, as far they know, the last uneffective vessel in Starfleet.
    Deintegrate their computer systems, set up firewalls, and chase down the rumour that the Romulans have developed a 'vaccine.'
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Has anyone ran a campaign as this as their starting point? If so . . . how has it progressed.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I regret I came to this game so late in its day. Years after its official demise. Still, its nice to see some activity here.

This would be an interesting setting to run a game in, though somewhat grim/fatalistic.

I imagine that it'd be like that TNG ep with Worf scattered across dimensions, they run into hundreds of Enterprise-Ds, when one flips out near the end, and a disheveled Riker comes on screen "The Borg are everywhere!" in his realm.

For a BOBW what if, Earth would fall within days. At the time of the Ep, Anti-Borg defenses and tactics were fairly low, the fleet scattered and the home guard fleet destroyed at Wolf 359. By the time the Borg beamed down to the surface, they'd be immune to pretty much any defenses that could be raised, as all defenses would be pretty much equal or lesser versions of the Starfleet stuff they'd just become immune to.

Assimilation, even with 1 cube, would be pretty quick, as with Starfleet knowledge, the borg drones would know the most efficient beam down areas and just go around poking people with nano tubes.

Even if a DS9 sized anti-dominion fleet with hundreds of ships showed up, given the time-frame of their technology, they'd be unable to dislodge the Borg from Earth. I'd imagine once the Borg gained a foot hold, it'd just be a matter of 'ringing home the Delta Quadrant and having a few more cubes and such transwarp in'

Everyone would be in a mad scatter, theoretically Starfleet would regroup at other worlds, Vulcan, Alpha Centauri, etc.

In this setting, I see the potential for alot of quick alliances, ala DS9 Dominion War, but sooner. Borg don't make non-aggression pacts, so the Rommies and Cardies would be in just as much danger as everyone else. Orion pirates, Breen, Gorn, whatever, they'd all be in trouble too.

If we look at the theoretical 'borg space' maps of delta quadrant, their space seems to be bigger than the alpha quadrant species combined area, so everyne would be in trouble until the Borg decided to slow down for whatever reason.

Since we'd be Pre-DS9, and Sisko would likely be dead already (he escaped during Wolf 359, but without a homebase to fall back on, all survivors would likely have gotten assimilated too), so no Prophets, no Wormhole, no Dominion. The Dominion might have been strong enough to resist the Borg, having a larger empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Voran View Post
    If we look at the theoretical 'borg space' maps of delta quadrant, their space seems to be bigger than the alpha quadrant species combined area, so everyne would be in trouble until the Borg decided to slow down for whatever reason.
    Yeah, but the Borg don't 'hold territory' like other people. They're ecologically very different than humanoid life; what other cultures describe as 'Borg space' is just an area where the likelihood of encountering a cube and getting assimilated is very high, assuming you meet their standards. Potentially, there could be thousands of unassimilated species within Borg space, only brought into the collective when they find advanced technology or when they need a lot more drones.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

That's a good point. As such, I imagine there would be quite a few Alpha Quadrant species that would otherwise be left more or less unmolested, as they have neither technological or biological advances to provide the Borg.

So unless they decided to piss the borg off by attacking, I imagine they'd be left alone...until the Borg needed their planet's resources, or drones, as you've mentioned.

The lone survivors of the Alpha Quadrant, the Pakleds.

Nonbiological creatures might be left alone. I can't imagine Borg trying to assimilate Tholians, biologically they're too different, and their tech is too ponderous and deliberate for the Borg approach.

How would the Organians play into this? Would they stand a chance being an energy evolved species?

As stated before, a long time ago in the thread, it could be possible that this borg cube wasn't designed to succeed, but rather to establish the transwarp tube that would be used in First Contact and in the last episode of Voyager. However, if this is the case, why didn't they use that tube earlier then First Contact? How are tubes exit points created n the first place?

I can imagine some hold outs though of the assimilation, using museum solid slug weapons, much a kin to the Thompson used by Picard on the Holodeck. Make for an interesting turn of events with some more of the ala 2nd amendment groups, being the last best hope for humanity on their home turf.

But then again . . . who knows they might just go with that airborne nano-probe idea . . . haha . . . accidently assimilating all mater of life. Borg-Ducks . . . quack . . . quack quack.
    Sorry, excuse my silliness there.
    Or that borg communications virus that was bantered around a couple years back.

I imagine, that if the Enterrpise rammed itself . . . lets say that they did get a handful of borg down to say Pluto station or some other remote corner of the system . . . but not earth. Imagine a slow crawl of expansion from there, and the terror that would create. Or would the Genesis weapon come out, for the sake of the rest of the Federation, and Earth be sacrificed at the alter of the good of the rest of the Federation. I bet someone has a couple of those lying around. Section 31 maybe?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Section 31 probably has some sort of horrible flesh-eating device, or specially-trained Muddroids designed to explode when the Borg try to assimilate them.

Oi! Pluto Station is ready to kick the Borg's @ss http://comby.star-fleet.org/test111a.jpg It might not be finished, but it's weapons systems, like the Death Star II, are fully operational

I don't think any species would be safe. Voyager episodes clearly show they were trying to assimilate anything and everything, which could offer them something, so as an advanced species with very 'different' technology, the Tholians and possibly Organians would be under a threat, especially the former, because they are not an ascended or pure energy entity.

TBH I suspect the main reason the Federation has not fallen and their interest in us is not that great is that other than creating drones, we are just not THAT tempting a target.. They would have assimilated most of the knowledge of the finest Federation technology during BOBW and FC, from Picards mind and the Enterprise computer core, and the dozens of ships and advanced systems they adapted too/assimilated during those assaults. The Federation is way out on a limb and certainly not the most advanced society we've seen, in a Trek context, they just are in 'our' neck of the woods. The Dominion showed us that, they outclassed them in almost every way, only the brief respite the wormhole aliens gave them, gave them the chance they needed! Several of the Delta Quadrant alien hegemonies/species/confederations etc, were a far more tempting treat!
    Ta Muchly