Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylar as Spock? (Trek Movie News)

Sylar as Spock? (Trek Movie News)

SciFi.com reported that HEROES villain Zachary Quinto (Sylar) is close to sealing a deal to play Spock in J.J. Abrams' upcoming STAR TREK movie (which it looks right now is just being called "Star Trek", with no number... I wonder if this is a clue that the movie's a reboot?).

I really enjoyed Quinto in Heroes, and I think that he could do a great job as Spock. The question is will the screenplay and the direction be up to the task... I'll still wait and see.

I still think that the Trek movie would be better if I were the one making it, though. But that's just my rampaging ego talking, so don't mind me...

OK, so what do YOU think? Discuss...
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I think Quinto as Spock is a solid pick. Based on his Heroes performance, I look forward to seeing what he does with our favorite Vulcan science officer.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Heroes is about to be aired here in Germany this fall on the private station that used to air Stargate SG-1.

Until then I find it rather hard to voice a solid oppinion, but I'll make catching Heroes on air maybe a priority...

Oh and...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    I still think that the Trek movie would be better if I were the one making it, though.
    Yes, I'd second that

You've to give me a cameo appearence though for this show of confidence if things fall into place, will you!?

Hmm well doubts remain about this project in general, but yes, based on his performance in Heroes, then yes, he's a good actor, and I am sure he could do the role, and bring something new to it!
    Ta Muchly

He sure looks a little like Leonard Nimoy, so that is definitely a pro for the role - besides that I don't know much about him, since I have not seen Heroes up to now.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I just read a news on a german trek site that Abrahms has confirmed at Comic Con that Quinto will play Spock. Additionally he revealed that the Title of movie 11 will be..... Star Trek.
    Just that nothing more. Well I am still very sceptical, but we will see...
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I too am very skeptical about this project, but being
    - a Trek fan, I'll nevertheless watch it
    - a Heroes fan, I would like to see Quinto as Spock
    - an immature nerd who loves to say things like "We meet again Mr Aragorn" while watching LOTR, I'd probably watch very closely to see if Spock has not a line like "I can't wait to see how that works, Captain"
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Hi.

Some german TV stations provide a special service for their customers called "VideoText" which is a written content (including very doubtful comercials)that can be viewed by hitting a special button on your remote. I don't know if that's a european thing or happening all over the world.

Anyway...a german VideoText claimed that the 76 year old actor Leonard Nimoy will be playing Spock again in the new movie, while the young Spock will be portrayed by this aforementioned guy

Don't claim that my source is the most valid one in the world, but they are known to have nailed something, sometimes. So I thought I's share...

Nimoy's involvement (and endorsement of Quinto) was confirmed, by the man himself, at Comic-Con as well.

In the end, though, it all depends on the script. A solid pick for Kirk (as Quinto is for Spock) will only help.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Yep, it's going to be the clincher, the script!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Yep, it's going to be the clincher, the script!
    Which, unfortunately, we won't know until we've seen the movie.

It would be nice if we could know in advance whether we were going to like a film... it would save us a BUNDLE in ticket costs!
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

Basically this is what happened with Nemesis, where a (overall accurate) script was available long time before the movie aired.

I keep wondering if the movie would have fared a bit better if that script hadn't been around.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    Basically this is what happened with Nemesis, where a (overall accurate) script was available long time before the movie aired.

I keep wondering if the movie would have fared a bit better if that script hadn't been around.
    I don't think so.

IMO sci-fi movies that produce solid money at the box office are being watched multiple times by the fans of the genre or series. I have seen the Next Generation Trek movies all multiple times in the cinema. But not Nemesis. After having seen that piece once, I waited for a cheep DVD release for my collection...

I think that that's true for a lot of sci-fi and fantasy movies. If it is a good one, you go and see it again (and bring maybe some friends along that wouldn't have gone in the first place) but if it sucked the first time, you fail to go again and bring friends, therefore resulting in lower box office values.

Just my thoughts...

So they are going to have Mr. Nimoy in it? What about the Shat? Perhaps this will be one of those movies where they start off with something and then flashback to the past? Or will 'present day' Spock get sent to the past for something? (lord knows they LOVE the time travel in Trek films!)

Can't wait. Gonna watch some Trek Fan-films on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    So they are going to have Mr. Nimoy in it? What about the Shat?
    Nimoy WILL be in it, as Spock. They announced this at ComicCon this weekend.

No word on the ShatMan. Or casting for Kirk.

Also no word as to whether this is an older Spock remembering his youth, or time travel, or what.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal