Thread: So I'm starting a Boomer campaign....

So I'm starting a Boomer campaign....

As the title says, I'm starting a Boomer-centric campaign. For those who don't know (or remember) Boomers were Earths only presence in space before the NX-01 came along. Of course, my view of the 22nd century is more TOSified, so I expect it to be different.

But put simply, I'm getting around the whole it-takes-five-years-to-get-anywhere thing by setting the campaign around a Right of Passage sort of thing for late adolescents onboard six ECS freighters. What happens is five or six freighters rendevous at the sight of an old (and relatively small) transport vessel who's only use is to carry these adolescents through their Right of Passage. Essentially, they are left in a populated but slightly lawless solar system, and told that they must survive for an amoutn of time. Gets around the distance thing quite easily.

Now this isn't my proble, my problem is that I want to capture a TOS feeling for the campaign, where most seem to fail, as any book or virtual series set in the TOS era always seems to be - well - modern. But I can't seem to think of a way to capture that feeling. I mean, I'm going to use some of the terms that popped up in early TOS episodes (Vulcanian, lithium and that ) but I'm not sure what else to do.

Any feedback and help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance,

Captain Whosits.

The J class ships look really cool.

You could set it in the Rigel system. It's big, crazy, and easy to get around in.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Actually, it'll be set in a small transport or cargo 'shuttle' (my idea being that shuttles are still big and bulky things at this point, like how our Space 'Shuttle' is almost 40m long). It should look like this:

http://neutralzone.de/database/PreFe...eFreighter.jpg

and

http://neutralzone.de/database/PreFe..._Norkova04.gif

And yes, I know it's a reused deisng, but I've ended up creating a backstory that works out why they're so reused in TNG and later (mainly due to the Federation just selling it's old stuff to the younger and smaller races, like the Talarians and the Blablariosans)

Also, I was thinking that I might concentrate on more Human orientated enemies (like TOS used to do) and have it set in the Centauri system, maybe set it inbetween a huge gas giants moons or something.

Oh, right, also forget to say that I talked with one of my players and explained that I wanted a mix of TOS and ENT, and he said that'd be fine, but he didn't want lasers because he knows they do in real life , so we're using those pulse pistols that were seen in ENT's pilot and the first Boomer episode.

Vega's mentioned as the site of a major human colony. It's too young for any Class M planets, but there's probably a lot of exotic (and hostile) environments among the mining and industrial outposts, along with rogue human outposts. Maybe the Vulcans had a small listening post here too.

Deneva colony was around in the 2150s; before that it was probably the frontieriest of the frontier colonies.

The Alpha Centauri system is indeed probably your best bet. Since Proxima's the only one with a ship named after it, it's probably the largest and most prosperous, suggesting a Class L or M planet. Centauri VII is probably too far away to be naturally habitable. Alpha III and Alpha V might also reside in the system...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Thanks King, and yeah, I think I've pretty much settled for the Centauri system as the setting, and I've gone over a bit more with one of my players (other is unavailable at the moment, but we'll definitely fill him in on everything) and his character concept - which started out as a joke - has now become a real one. He's basically the 'dealer' sort of guy, the one who can get you what you need for cheap *wink wink nudge nudge*.
    Of course, it's funnier when you realise that the characters will be under twenty (it's part of my series idea, and it does make sense).