Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trek Movie News (From Scifi.com)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    So they might get away with it for a new series of movies. It worked with Saavik.
    Sort of.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

How did it not work? : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Besides the fact that Robin Curtis just wasn't very good as the character, and the change in casting was (at least in this case) quite jarring? To me, at least. Sorry, I never bought into the change; Robin played an interesting Vulcan character, but she wasn't Saavik to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Besides the fact that Robin Curtis just wasn't very good as the character, and the change in casting was (at least in this case) quite jarring? To me, at least. Sorry, I never bought into the change; Robin played an interesting Vulcan character, but she wasn't Saavik to me.
    I'm with Patrick on this one. Kirsty was Saavik. She would have been a good vulcan character but i just didn't like her as Saavik.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Add Russel Crow to the list of who Abrams wants.

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    Add Russel Crow to the list of who Abrams wants.
    That would rock on toast!

Please God no.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    That would rock on toast!

My biggest question about that is who would he play as a Villian. Will it be some new ubervillian . . . a reimagining of a villian we already know . . . or a lesser villian brought into the forefront?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    I'm with Patrick on this one. Kirsty was Saavik. She would have been a good vulcan character but i just didn't like her as Saavik.

I'm with Patrick too. Saavik is a good example of recasting NOT working. Orginally Saavik was supposed to be a permanent addition to the crew with new faces adding to and replacing the older cast members as the actors retired.

Once Kirste was no longer available (appantly she wanted more money that Shatner for STIII, as her career had taken off), the character was altered to a full Vulcan for STIII-IV and then dropped.

They wanted to bring her back fro STVI, but Kirstie wan't interested, so they changed Saavilk into a Valeris for STVI.

Once problem recasting has in this day and age is that fans can buy a series and have it at home. Add to that the fact that TOS is still being shown on TV and there is really no chance for things to fade from people's memory. I think that as far as most Trek fans are concered, the main characters are linked to the characters who portrayed them. It will be an uphill battle to get people to accept someone else as Kirk or Spock.

I think what they will need is less "Hollywood star box offfice draw" type actors and more "great character actor" types. I doubt that Paramount will go in that direction though.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    I'm with Patrick too. Saavik is a good example of recasting NOT working. Orginally Saavik was supposed to be a permanent addition to the crew with new faces adding to and replacing the older cast members as the actors retired.
    Weird. I don't think I got attached to one performance more than another when I was a kid.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Weird. I don't think I got attached to one performance more than another when I was a kid.
    I did, as did most of my friends. What helped was that Saavik was a supporting character. Had they tried to recast Kirk or Spock I think ST II would have been less popular than ST:TMP.

I think the big reason for recasting TOS is that the target audience is comprised of people who were not around when TOS was on NBC or during it'S first run in syndication. I know a few people who are not that familiar with TOS, and generally don't watch it/like it because of the poor quality of the effects (by today's standards). Redoing it with updated effects give Paramount the chance to attract a new fan base.

THat doesn't mean that it will automatically be bad, but I suspect that fans of TOS probably won't be the ones Paramount will be going after. I think most TOS fans will probably be disappointed by a remake.

I think that no matter what, it is going to be a totally different original Trek, no matter how well they cast it - and I am not saying that is a bad thing.

When I watch the original series, everything about it screams with the late-60's/early-70's - from the ligthing on the cast and sets (how they always hit Kirk with that handsome light), sets (ergonomic furniture, the screen room-seperators), interaction between men and women (even in a future world where everyone is treated equally).

This was one of the detractors for me with Enterprise - all I could think about when I watched it was when did the Federation starship designers decide to change the captain's quarters from a bare bulkhead look to that hip looking sixties bedroom of Kirk's.

Also, when I watch TOS or even something like Lost in Space, I get the nostalgic feeling of youth that happens when you reminisce about sitting on the couch after school and catching the same re-runs over and over - the special effects were somewhat cheesy as was the acting, but I loved it. Seeing Spock, Bones and Kirk wearing guns at the OK Corral and mourning over Chekov as Bones gives his trademark... "He's dead Jim!" - that just tells me that Rodenberry had a very short budget and had to borrow stuff from Ponderosa to make episodes!

But again, I loved it and still will sit and watch the old episodes over and over...

My point is, it is going to be a different take on the old Trek and that is okay to me, I just hope they do it justice. Based on the casting thus far, they seem to be paying the proper hommage.

Tomcat

PS- and as for Saavik... well the young Kirstie Allie was just plain hot and so was a much better choice.
    Last edited by Tomcat; 08-22-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    PS- and as for Saavik... well the young Kirstie Allie was just plain hot and so was a much better choice.

There is probably a lot of truth to that. At the time ST*TWOK was released, I was in High School, as were most of my friends. Teenage males tend to pick up on things like "Hot Babe" at a speed that rivals long range sensors. One of the guys I went to school with, and a big Trekie was very fond of Kirstie.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    There is probably a lot of truth to that. At the time ST*TWOK was released, I was in High School, as were most of my friends. Teenage males tend to pick up on things like "Hot Babe" at a speed that rivals long range sensors. One of the guys I went to school with, and a big Trekie was very fond of Kirstie.
    ...I wasn't born yet. In fact, I'm not sure which one I saw first.