Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trek Movie News (From Scifi.com)

Capt Kirk has been cast

According to today's UK's Daily Express newspaper the US actor Chris Pine has been selected as the new Capt Kirk. Is this true?

BTW, here is Chris Pine's resume on IMDB http://us.imdb.com/name/nm1517976/. According to his resume, he is best known for his co-starring role against Lindsay Lohan in Just my Luck.

Ye gods, what were they thinking!!!!!!!!!
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

I just wanna see the damn script.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdr JT Wayland View Post
    According to today's UK's Daily Express newspaper the US actor Chris Pine has been selected as the new Capt Kirk. Is this true?
    Just a rumor. So far, as startrek.com has pointed out, exactly none of the casting rumors that have been flying about for the past year or so regarding the Abrams Star Trek film have been correct. I don't think I'd be overly worried about this one.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

It gets worse, much, much worse, they have cast both Sulu and Scotty.

The actor they have picked to play Sulu is John Cho of Harold & Kumar fame. But the really bad news is they have chosen Simon Pegg as Scotty.

Please see attached web stories from Yahoo and BBC:

Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071012/....r9CY7p5MwFxkF

BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7041249.stm

Yea Gods, what were they thinking off, Simon Pegg as Scotty, it is a sacrilage to his James Doohan's Memory.

This film is turning out to be biggest disaster in Movie History.

This is one very distraught old Trekkie crying into his glass of Romulan Ale signing off now.
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Eh, comedic actors have successfully made the jump into iconic roles before (Michael Keaton, anyone)? I trust Abrams to make the right decisions about the cast; if he thinks Pegg is the right man for the job (the age is about right, given that Scotty was supposed to be somewhat older than Kirk), then I'll give him the leeway.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Oh for lords sake get a grip people! I know we are all Trek fans, but try not to get carried away, and try not reading every tabloid rubish and believing it, or you'll put this in it's grave before it's finished.

And err. Just what is wrong with Simon Pegg, at least he's from the British isles, a heck of a lot closer than Canada, and a fantastic actor to boot :P
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdr JT Wayland View Post
    It gets worse, much, much worse, they have cast both Sulu and Scotty.

The actor they have picked to play Sulu is John Cho of Harold & Kumar fame. But the really bad news is they have chosen Simon Pegg as Scotty.
    I'm going to say the same thing I said when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman ("He's too funny to be Batman!"), Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine ("He's too tall!") and many other instances of similar knee-jerk reactionism occurred.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I actually see the movie.

This attitude has only been proven wrong once...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke View Post
    This attitude has only been proven wrong once...
    Curiosity compels me to ask...when?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Curiosity compels me to ask...when?
    Took the words right out of my mouth...
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth...
    Star Trek V and Nemesis - for example. Alright may be I did go slightly OTT, but I need some stress relief after stressful week at work.

But, although Chris Pine and John Cho might do very well in their respective roles, I just don't think that Simon Pegg could carry off the role, he is a very hyperactive comdey actor and I don't think he has the gravitas that James Doohan had.

If you have a chance, watch Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and his latest film Run, Fatboy Run and make your own opinion of his talent or lack of.
    Cmmdr JT Wayland

Well yeah, I have seen all 3, and Spaced, and his guest appearance in Dr. Who, and I loved him in all of those. He's extremely talented, and quite capable of acting 'straight' so I am not sure what your point is really! Sure he may well not be right for the part, but obviously they saw something in him, so I'm willing to give them the benifit of the doubt! and lets not get carried away here, I like James Doohan, and the Scotty Character, but they aren't exactly Shakespeare. If it builds it's self up on an unattainable pedestal, it'll never get made!
    Ta Muchly

I also have to say that Simon Pegg is a brilliant actor with a lots of skill. I do not doubt that he can pull the role and I am very confident that he will perform as excellent as ever. And while he is primarily a comedy-actor, his acting was always smart and they say that playing a funny role is the hardest job of all acting, so he should not have trouble playing a non-comedy role.
    Also this would not be the first one, since his role in Band of Brothers did not include any comedy part whatsoever.
    Besides who says that Trek may not have comical parts. There was always room for the occassional joke and not the least thanks to Scotty.
    The main problem I see with Pegg getting the part of Spock is not his acting, but his "fame". He is recognizable for his outstanding work and I do not know whether I will be able to ignore his "history", when I see the movie or constantly expect him to "drink a nice beer and wait until this all blows over". But that would be my fault not his.
    Anyhow I don't think that Pegg cannot play a non-comedy role and look forward to seeing him as Scotty.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Yeah, Pegg wouldn't have been my first choice for the role, but I'm a huge fan and very pleased that he's in the movie. Also, given that all he has to do is run up to a comm occaisionally and shout 'She cannae take it, Captain.' in hopefully a more authentic Scottish accent than James Doohan ever managed - it's not like the film rests on his shoulders. That honour goes to Spock and Kirk and whilst Quinto's casting agrees with me immesurably, this Chris Pine - whoever he is - is much more cause for concern.

Paul McGillion

Last thing I had heard was the rumor that they considered Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett of Stargate:Atlantis) for the part of Scotty. Paul even mentioned having been to a casting, actually.

Having recently seen the first Season of Atlantis in original language, I thought that a good choice. Too bad that it won't happen.

Well why not the other actor from Sean of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, Nick Frost. I mean, don't get me wrong, Pegg is a good actor. However, Frost is an equally great character actor, and deserves a chance at stardom . . . not just as Pegg's lacky. I get the feeling that it's because he is rounder. I mean run, fat boy, run, if that isn't written with Frost in mind . . . I don't know what is! But rather, Pegg, who co-wrote the script, an averaged built individual gets the lead role.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One