Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theme Song Suggestions?

Theme Song Suggestions?

I've recently started a NX-01 campaign and I'd like to have a theme song for the campaign. A short 1 or 2 minute piece of music I could use to get the players into the setting.

I don't want to you ENT's Faith of the Heart song, because it already is ENT's theme song. I've toyed with the idea of using something modern (-sounding) with appropriate lyrics.

Moodwise, I'd prefer to go with something spiteful and rock'n'roll or a more emotional tune like Faith of the Heart although with of a daring into the unkown type of feel to it.

Some of the songs I considered but have discarded are:
    Oasis - The Hindu Times (nice sound, sort of fitting lyrics - too well known)
    ES Posthumus - Pompeii (great sound - too heavy)
    Edgar Winter Group - Free Ride (great lyrics - too happy/humourous)

As you can probably tell my music collection lacks the afore-mentioned "daring into the unknown"-moods.

So, any suggestions?

Joe

- Just realized that this thread should probably be in the Narrator's Ready Room Area... If one of the moderators could be so nice as to move it there?
    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

"You know this roleplaying thing is awfully silly, let's just roll the dice." - overheard during a D&D 3E game.

Why not use the song by The Calling, "Wherever You Will Go", which was used on the original trailers for Enterprise.
    I always thought this song was more appropriate than the one they went with.

If I ever do an Enterprise era game, i'll use the song myself.

Regards

Long Tom

How about Ramstein? With their pleasant lyrical tones they should inspire any crew into deeds of daring do...

... Or suicide.

Actually, I agree with going with 'The Calling' suggested above, there seemed to be a great disappointment at the change in tune when the Russell Watson song was announced (even though its none too bad)...

Or theres the old Cochrane Favourite, Steppenwolf 'Magic Carpet Ride', dont leave the launch pad without it?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

A few others...

"Superman (It's Not Easy)" - Five for Fighting

"Is There Life On Mars", "Space Oddity" - David Bowie (or lots of his other 70's space music)

"Rocket Man" - Elton John

"Drops of Jupiter" - Train

(as an aside, the mid-late 60's/early 70's has lots of likely choices, influenced by the space race)
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Another idea would be, Aha with 'Minor Earth, Major Sky'.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

How about Moby "We Are All Made of Stars?"
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

"Reach" by Queensryche (from hear in the now Frontier). Little hard on the guitars, but definitely has the lyrics...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

For my (briefly lived) group we used Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man".

No lyrics, but DAMN good fanfare

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

How about "I Can See For Miles" by The Who? Or, if not that, there's always "Dare to be Stupid" by Weird Al Yankovic...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Not long ago I decided that my ship's theme song would best be expressed by U2's "I Still haven't found what I'm looking for."

I've also given certain characters their own theme song.

My Betazoid Science/First Officer decided her theme song was the Eagles' "Learn to be Still"

My Security Officer NPC's theme song used to be Sting's "Shape of my Heart" but recently I changed it to The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes."
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Personally, I'd stay away from songs (i.e. musical pieces with lyrics) and stick with an instrumental. Using a pop song for an SF show (and, by extension, an SF game) barring ones specifically written for the show, generally brings my suspension of disbelieve to a jarring halt. That includes (especially) third rate covers by third rate Rod Stewart imitators of theme songs from third rate Robin Williams movies (but that's just me...).

About the only vocal piece that ever worked for me as a theme for an SF show was It Won't Be Easy from the British SF series Star Cops.

What sort of feel are you looking for? For a heavy, dark theme, there's the old stand-by, Mars from Holst's The Planets. For an awestruck discovery type theme, there's Orff's o Fortuna, Imperatrix Mundi from the Carmina Buraana. Wagner has a whole bunch of stuff, like Seigfreid's Funeral theme or Ride of the Valkyrie. Rimsky-Korsakov's Night on Bald Mountain has some wonderful bits in it. Since you really only need a short exerpt, you can use lesser known movements from famous pieces.

In a more modern vein, the British band Hawkwind has some incredible instrumentals pieces with varying emotional overtones, perfect for SF games - they're a very SF-literate band. Michael Moorcock has performed with them and written for them.

If you can find it, the musical intro from Birth of the Federation is slick as well