Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trek Movie News (From Scifi.com)

Well, according to Jim Cawley the design "...seems to borrow heavily from “Contemporary Trek”." As a die-hard TOS purist he says that he really doesn't like what he's seen. This leads me to believe that the redesign of the 1701 is going to be more than just a highly detailed version of the 60's model. Wether it's any more or less radically different than the Motion Picture redesign is something we'll have to wait and see as Mr Cawley gave no more details about the design than that.

I think this film is going to be a very different take on the original series, a reboot if you will, and anyone expecting just a higher quality version of the 60's costumes, models and sets is in, I think, for a major dissapointment.

Still, look on the bright side. At least it'll tie in more closely with Enterprise now

Whilst I'm here, a thought occured to me. Everyone is expecting to see the old red, yellow and blue shirts back (and I'm sure what we'll get will be derived from them), but correct me if I'm wrong but the period that the movie is set in should be around the time that Starfleet was wearing the gold, tan and blue shirts from the Pilot, isn't it?

Crow

I had to laugh when someone in my office complained that Pegg shouldn't be playing Scotty as he's not Scottish.

On a serious note, I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg and have every confidence that he'll surprise people in the role. I'm loving all the casting stuff that's coming out about the movie and I can't wait to see how these guys pan out on the big screen.

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    "Let's make it look like all that other stuff that made us money."
    BINGO!

The Hollywood mentality (or lack thereof).

"Make it original, but not too original."
    "Make it scary, but not too scary."
    "Make it cerebral, sure, just as long as we don't have to think too much."
    "Women in mini-skirts? That's in the original?? Well, by all mean's let us be faithful to the original!!"
    "Sure, you can please the fans if you want to, just so long as it makes a buck!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Well, according to Jim Cawley the design "...seems to borrow heavily from “Contemporary Trek”..." Whilst I'm here, a thought occured to me. Everyone is expecting to see the old red, yellow and blue shirts back (and I'm sure what we'll get will be derived from them), but correct me if I'm wrong but the period that the movie is set in should be around the time that Starfleet was wearing the gold, tan and blue shirts from the Pilot, isn't it?

Crow
    The longer people crow about canon and being purists, the more I'm unimpressed with their arguments. I for one will be completely turned off by basic-colored shirts and miniskirts (well...maybe no the miniskirts), and using the old model, just gussied up. Sure, it looked great in an homage on Enterprise, but the joke's been done. Twice.

Time to bring this franchise into the 21st Century. I want a new Enterprise -- based on the original, yes. I liked the ideas Gabe Koerner had for her -- same shape and look, but much much bigger and a big busier (to help with scale.) Time for new gear that looks like extensions of current tech trends. Realistic uniforms, not velour costumes.

What is important isn't the geek-boy bits and bobs, but the characters. that's what made the original show work. Not the head of the week. Not the technobabble. The characters. Keep close to those, give us good writing and acting, and the set pieces are secondary.

I think an easy way to explain a new look, slightly different character backgrounds, and what not . . . is do what Comic Books do . . . alternative timelines . . . have something go back to foul up the original . . . alter the original time line . . . start with a clean slate in another "quantum/parallel" universe.

This way, you can easily explain to the masses, with enough techno babble to placate the hardcore fans, why it is different from the genra that we grew up with.
    They need not work to hard to explain why the universe has changed . . . there are enough stories that only fans could appretiate that can explain that out there within canon.
    For example they've already shown that parallel universes exist with that Worf episode . . . and there is the Mirror Universe . . . that has to be one of the parallels.

However, if one is going to keep in the same universe . . . then that's what it should be . . . the same.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq View Post
    The longer people crow about canon and being purists, the more I'm unimpressed with their arguments. I for one will be completely turned off by basic-colored shirts and miniskirts (well...maybe no the miniskirts), and using the old model, just gussied up. Sure, it looked great in an homage on Enterprise, but the joke's been done. Twice.

Time to bring this franchise into the 21st Century. I want a new Enterprise -- based on the original, yes. I liked the ideas Gabe Koerner had for her -- same shape and look, but much much bigger and a big busier (to help with scale.) Time for new gear that looks like extensions of current tech trends. Realistic uniforms, not velour costumes.

What is important isn't the geek-boy bits and bobs, but the characters. that's what made the original show work. Not the head of the week. Not the technobabble. The characters. Keep close to those, give us good writing and acting, and the set pieces are secondary.

If they are going to change things (and don't think that the characters won't be changed too), why bother remaking TOS? If things are going to be differernt they could have just as easily did up a new crew, in a new ship, in a differernt era (or even the same era).

If it is going to be TOS then it should look and feel like TOS. TOS uniforms, gear, and ships. Sure they can update some of the effects and such with CGI, buy better material, and use rocks that don't look like foam rubber, but it should still be recognizably Star Trek, and not just an attempt to rip off from Trek.

So far, the jury is still out on this one. Personally I7m very worried about recasting the original characters, as it's never really worked out well in the past, for any show or film. If they pull it off, they can reignite the franchise. If they don't it will probably kill it (for 5 or 10 more years. "Death" is a temporary condition for film series).

Well, it now appears that Ben Cross is to play Sarek. I'm curious as to how Winona Rider can play Spock's mother. She's not much older than Quinto (about 6 years I think). Is there, I wonder, an explanation. Or is it just that ridiculous Hollywood mentality of not wanting to put middle-aged women on screen.

Anyway, news is painfully slow. Enough with the support casting! Give us costume, model and set shots! Dammit!

Crow

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar View Post
    She could ride on my starship!

Writer Reveals Trek Details
    Roberto Orci, co-writer of director J.J. Abram's highly anticipated Star Trek movie, told SCI FI Wire that the tightly guarded story for the upcoming franchise reboot depends heavily on the appearance of original series star Leonard Nimoy.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=46451

Fake Trek Movie Trailer?

Yes, it's a fake, but quite well-done nonetheless.

Fake Trek Movie Trailer
    http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/10/when...ine/#more-1437

Offical site up at http://www.paramount.com/startrek/
    No content yet.

A couple of "sneak peek" images of the NCC-1701. Not confirmed.

Okay, aftering doing a little surfing it seems the first isn't the offical design.

The second image, does seem to be offical, but leaves a lot to the imagination.

So does the trailer:
    http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...ectlink&id=529
    Last edited by tonyg; 01-20-2008 at 01:24 PM.