Thread: SFX lists top 10 sci-fi movies

SFX lists top 10 sci-fi movies

Serenity named top sci-fi movie
    Space thriller Serenity has beaten Star Wars to the title of best sci-fi movie in an SFX magazine poll of 3,000 fans.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm

Laaaaaaaaame.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I concede taht the 1 choice has the earmarks of a fan crazy effort to win that spot the rest of the choices make sense.
    Draftsmen in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric R.
    I concede taht the 1 choice has the earmarks of a fan crazy effort to win that spot the rest of the choices make sense.
    Either that, or because it was the last big-name sf film to show up. I'm sure a few years ago Pitch Black or something would've made the list.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Worth noting however that the BBC news story was from April, and that this was form the SFX poll run in 2006.

SFX readers love Joss Whedon and Firefly/Serenity.

But you are right while I think Serenity is darn good, and has bags of re-watch value, it is not a patch on Star Wars which has spent the last 30 years proving that it'll never go away.

Thing is SFX readers hate the prequels. And these lost Star Wars ground in the poll, almost a punishment vote.

I know all this because I am an SFX reader. (Although I voted for Star Wars)
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden
    Thing is SFX readers hate the prequels. And these lost Star Wars ground in the poll, almost a punishment vote.
    Good Lord, that sounds like Major League Baseball Hall of Fame voting...

I probably would've put Star Wars at the top, but Serenity would've made my top 5...easily. And I'm glad to see Blade Runner get some love.

Dan, did the magazine say where any of the Star Trek movies fared? I'm curious to see where TWOK finished.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I'm a fan of the Firefly TV series & loved the Serenity movie but I don't think I would list it as my #1. Star Wars probably would be #1 of all sci-fi films ever produced for me at least.

I also wouldn't have included Back to the Future in my top 10, although I admit it was wildly popular when it came out & I saw it several times in the theatres, but now that I'm older, I view it as only mildly interesting.

I would have included Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Maybe even John Carpenter's The Thing. I probably would have also included the Wrath of Khan in my top 10.

Anyways, I would have difficulty narrowing down all my favorite sci-fi films to just 10.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Either that, or because it was the last big-name sf film to show up. I'm sure a few years ago Pitch Black or something would've made the list.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. There is a strong tendency these days to go overboard with the latest thing.

I find it suprising that The Day the Earth Stood Still isn't on the list, but that Back from the Future is. BFTF is a decent way to kill 90 minutes, but hardly one of the best SF films (hardly one of the best films in any genre).

What a pantload.

If this poll had any credibility, Total Recall would have made the list.

Seriously, though, this list stinks of fanboy spam voting. Serenity? Best film? Pffft! Not even close to top 10 material, and I really liked it!
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    Maybe even John Carpenter's The Thing. I probably would have also included the Wrath of Khan in my top 10.
    [ evil bad language censorship by moderator ]

I'd would, personally, put something by Jeunet et Caro in there too–either City of Lost Children or Delicatessen.

And Videodrome, but I'm weird.

Moderator-Comment: Enthusiam granted, but please maintain a certain level of civil tongue. Thank you. Evan van Eyk
    Last edited by Evan van Eyk; 08-24-2007 at 02:58 AM.