Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamer registry?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    So most of them then
    There's a fine line between eccentric and nutter, indeed. You just have to be able to recognise where that line is!
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Yeah but throwing the words 'role-playing game' into that equation is kind of like dredging up the bottom of the river, and being surprised to find mud It's hard to isolate the two haha
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    Very cool.

I'm now on there, under "Hugh" (Yeah, I know... original, eh? )

And now to post about this to my blog, and get all the gamers on THERE to sign up!
    You know, this was in my blog about the same timne I started this thread, Hugh...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Casey
    Very cool.

I'm now on there, under "Hugh" (Yeah, I know... original, eh? )

And now to post about this to my blog, and get all the gamers on THERE to sign up!
    You know, this was in my blog about the same time I started this thread, Hugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    You know, this was in my blog about the same time I started this thread, Hugh...
    I works fast, I do.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Yeah but throwing the words 'role-playing game' into that equation is kind of like dredging up the bottom of the river, and being surprised to find mud It's hard to isolate the two haha
    Sort of goes with any sort of subculture or hobby that isn't embranced by the general public as a "mainstream activity". Anyone who engages in any activilty that "deviates" from the norm is technically a "deviant".

One problem has been that all "deviants" tend to be lumped together, with no distinction between what sort of deviant behavior and to what extent.

I once worked at a place where a former employee, in the same job, was a gamer, and definitely rated highly on the "wackometer". When people found out that I was into RPGs too, they sort of assumed that I was a complete pyscho like my predecessor.

It took a little time before it became acknowledged that I was only "a little weird" while the other guy was "a psycho nut!!". It helped that I had known the guy from RPG circles before I got the job, and when his name was mentioned replied, "Him? He's a nut. I know him, but I'm not crazy enough to game with him. I only play in a fantasy world, he lives in one

That's just humans, we like to group, to categorise and to define, and we use rather too-large parameters so all sorts of things get lumped in with groups they don't belong on all sorts of layers levels and stratum of our world and beyond it

Maybe we should have a 'Geek pride' day LOL
    Ta Muchly

Maybe we should have a 'Geek pride' day LOL
    I propose September 8th (the birthday of Star Trek).

I'll only show up if we get to dress up Trek-style and run around with water guns filled with beer and blood wine. Or whiskey. Or jagermeister. Or scotch. Or ... you get the idea.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Only if people practice their aims: Otherwise that's a waste of good liquor Aim for the mouth
    Ta Muchly