Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Voting Booth

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Smile

Darn it, Don!

You just make it too hard.

Why couldn't you have posted Option 5: "All of the above"?

------------------
    How do I set a Laser Printer to stun?

Well, don't take the poll too seriously. When I setup the program I had to test it, so I just slapped in the first thing to mind, which was the "To Boldly Go" thread.

No real science behind it -- I just needed to make sure the poll feature worked! (And it does!)

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Question

<hr>
    No real science behind it -- I just needed to make sure the poll feature worked! (And it does!)<hr>

It does? Maybe it's a Netscape thing. (one small beef I have about Front Page express. EVERYTHING is done to be only friendly to IE )

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*

Question

Nobody has told me it doesn't work.

There's nothing IE-specific in the code used -- it's server-side ASP and IFRAME is part of the HTML 4.0 specification.

Instead of blaming Microsoft you might want to drop Netscape a line.

What, exactly, is the problem on Netscape?

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Exclamation

Don
    The Voting Booth does not seem to show up on my version of Netscape.
    I promise that I don't come from Florida.
    I think I can handle instructions fairly well.

Question

this vote is for the next book????????

Ok Don, a bit more useful information. For some reason in the index form I see an underline in the mention of voting(I don't know if that is the link or not) and all my browser (ver 4.7) shows is text no link. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot? I know the client LUG had on their site for Lug chat didn't seem to work or load in Netscape, but it loaded fine in IE. Just a thought.

------------------

Cool

Hey! The voting booth is rigged! No matter what I vote, it comes out "Bush!"

Coming Soon!
    By the producer of Star Trek: Voyager Brannon Braga...
    A Brand-New Trek series...

Star Trek: USS George W. Bush
    Come aboard and ride along this deep-space <u>explorification</u> vessel

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 02-08-2001).]

Ok Don just a small update about your voting code. Apparently it works fine in IE5 but not Netscape 4.7 . Maybe it's a coding thing, just like you need different sound tags for each browser.

------------------

This is purely a Netscape problem. Netscape 6 is the first Netscape browser to support the IFRAME HTML 4.0 standard. Some history:

The HTML 4 standard makes provision for an additional level of control using frames, the floating (or inline) frame. This tag is added into your normal HTML script and allows you to position a frame into the main body of your document as you would an image, giving it height, width, justification etc. The frame contents become an item in your page with scroll bars if necessary allowing you to place one entire HTML page into another and strictly control it.

This tag was first introduced my Microsoft in their Internet Explorer 3 browser and has been continued since. It won favour with W3C and was introduced into the HTML 4 standard because, in plain and simple terms, it's potential influence in the design of website navigation is immense.... it's a brilliant tag.......

........... except that it's not. IFRAME has been around for several years now and it's barely used because Netscape have bluntly refused to adopt the tag for their browsers. There is much speculation about the reasons for this, the vast majority of which centres around a little bit of bitter rivalry often called "The Browser War" and the fact that Microsoft never adopted Netscape's dreaded BLINK tag among others.
    I'll have to ditch the frame and embed the poll in the news page. Not my preferred method, but lets all give a rousing "thank you" to Netscape.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Thumbs up New Voting Booth

For those of you who might have missed it, there is now a new voting booth available off the main TrekRPGNet welcome page (where the news is). This feature is one I’ve been meaning to add for a long time, as it’s always valuable to receive feedback.

If you have any suggestions for future polls, please post them here. (Serious or otherwise.)

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Cool

Tough call, BTW. I want an Exploration book, but I want a TOS Movie book more...

As for the next poll, I still say you could have a poll to find out what we should have a poll for...

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."

[This message has been edited by Doug Burke (edited 02-08-2001).]

<hr>This is purely a Netscape problem. Netscape 6 is the first Netscape browser to support the
    IFRAME HTML 4.0 standard. Some history:
    <hr>

You mean they just THOUGHT about updating the HTML code for that abortion of a new browser? That's it I am switching to Opera

------------------

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Originally posted by Lolth-org:
    You mean they just THOUGHT about updating the HTML code for that abortion of a new browser? That's it I am switching to Opera
    Now don't hold back, there...tell us what you really think about Netscape.

------------------
    How do I set a Laser Printer to stun?

Thumbs up

Well I am now using the free browser called Opera, and man it really kicks butt. And BTW the voting code works fine in the browser.
    If you wish to use this browser, it's small (about a 9 meg download), it's easy to use, and it looks compatible with most HTML code. Plus it has a whole bunch of features that the other browsers don't.
    goto http://www.operasoft.com/

------------------