Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sjohn Gets Technical, Part II

That is all to true . It's over 2 years since I hade to bother with it last time. So I did manage to supress the .PS -> .PDF problems to now (Aaaarg!!! I'm going to have printer related nightmares ) But I do also remember that we found one of the .PS drivers to work all of the time.

If you ever remember which one, I'll be your New Best Pal

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Exclamation

I think that there is one very easy way to deal with print-to-file issues:

DON'T

There are many headaches and issues with .PRN, etc... files that make the whole concept totally not worthwhile. The idea's fine, the reality sucks. You have to deal with printer compatibility problems, and application problems, and it just isn't worth it in the long run, IMO.

------------------
    "Just think of it - a blind man, teaching an android how to paint? That's gotta be worth a couple of pages in somebody's book." - Riker to La Forge.

I think that there is one very easy way to deal with print-to-file issues:
    DON'T

Well, that's the same way I feel about money and political borders and Microsoft and all sorts of other things ... but certain choices in life demand certain actions. If you decide to be a fireman, you need to face flame now and then. If you decide to publish PDF files commercially, you need to delve into the mysteries of the many ways of producing portable printing formats So "don't" is easy, sure, but I need to learn this stuff. If I liked easy, I'd give up life as a writer and go back to editing at computer game magazines or take some lame desk job

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Well, seeing as you put it that way...

However, I still can't really help you...I've never had to deal with them. Sorry.

------------------
    "Just think of it - a blind man, teaching an android how to paint? That's gotta be worth a couple of pages in somebody's book." - Riker to La Forge.

S'no biggie ... I've been burying myself in research on it over the past several days and I've got it mostly figured out by now, anyway ... at least for the uses I'll be putting it to!

Thats good to hear. I haven't managed to figure it out what we used back then, when I last fiddled with it. But I managed to get hold of a friend who is supporting some users using Acrobat. He installs HP Laserjet 4/4M PS drivers, which works good for Acrobat 4. But there seems to be some difference between different Acrobat and operativ system versions. And it wasn't the HP driver we where using.

Not much for help, but thats all I could manage for now.

------------------
    "A penny for my thought. A dollar for my silence."

Lightbulb

I know it has been a long while since this thread was active, but I thought I would share some more info on this. Needless to say I found a *.ps, *.prn, file converting program(unfortunately it dosen't do my printer but them's the breaks.) You will need two programs one is huge, but it does the hard stuff and the other is the addendum for Windoze users(like myself ).
    go to http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
    Hopefully that will allow you to convert from PRN files to atleast text OR even PDF.
    Have fun and enjoy.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*