Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica Returns!

I heard this and wrote Sci-Fi Channel, telling them that I will support Hatch. He knows what is best for BG, apparently, adn abandoning everything but the name just seems to stink to me.

Thumbs down

Ugh...how about a NEW show?

Thumbs down

What's the point of it being Battlestar Galactica if it doesn't hve Cylons? They should go with Hatch's idea. It would be much better, and it's got a built in fan base.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

Cool Battlestar Galactica Returns!

And thus, all that is old becomes new again...

Announced on SCIFI.com...

<begin quote>
    A spokesman for The SCI FI Channel confirmed to SCI FI Wire rumors that the network is considering reviving the 1970s series Battlestar Galactica--but without original producer Glen A. Larson or actor Richard Hatch (Apollo). The series would resemble its predecessor in name only, offering new characters, a new villain to replace the Cylons and a new ship, the spokesman confirmed.

If true, SCI FI's initiative could spell the end of efforts by Larson and Hatch to revive the series on their own. Larson earlier told SCI FI Wire that he was working with Universal Studios to create an IMAX version of the series, the first step in reviving the show as either a feature film or TV series. For his part, Hatch has been trying to win Universal's support for his own feature film or television series proposal based on the original show. Hatch has won a following among Internet fans, who have written to Universal supporting Hatch's idea for projects that would involve the series' original actors. Hatch, who doesn't own any rights to Galactica, has nevertheless been showing a homemade trailer for a proposed feature film at comic-book and SF conventions.
    <end quote>

Arrow

Hmm, I wonder who's going to fill the main villain role, Baltar(sp?). I mean since John Colicos has passed into Sto-Vo-Kor, the role is a pretty big shoe to fill.

I'm thinking Jeremy Iron (despite his enthusiastic overacting in Dungeons & Dragons).

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Is the Sci-Fi channel nuts?

In my opinion they should go with the Hatch idea. Otherwise, they might as just make a completely new show.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    http://www.ussintrepid.org.uk
    Star Trek: Intrepid

Angry

The series would resemble its predecessor in name only, offering new characters, a new villain to replace the Cylons and a new ship, the spokesman confirmed.
    Oh. They want it to be like Team Knight Rider then? Or maybe... Galactica 1980?

BLECH!

Hatch's plan is the way to go.

------------------
    Gabriel Alexander Vampyre

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Question

Team knight Rider!?

* shudders *

You just can't go around hacking old classics apart like that (regardless of the original series...).

If you want to revive something like that, you either have to keep to the spirit and concept of the original (like Hatch wanted/wants to do), or don't do it at all...

------------------
    Diagonally parked in a Parallel Dimension...

Arrow

I only watch Team Knight Riders because of the girls.

But you're right, the premise of TKR way too much to believe than Knight Rider itself.

As for Galactica: 1980... Ugh! Bad spin-off! Bad! Bad! (Although I do like the flying bikes).

I'd rather they do NOT reach their destination (Earth) and find a different planet to colonize. (Centauri?)

But if it were to be a one-time feature film, it would be better to have the people of Galactica to reach ancient Earth in a climactic battle that destroyed all of the colony ships... including the Battlestar.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

DOH!

Off of the SCIFI.com website...

SCI FI Wire jumped the gun on news that The SCI FI Channel was developing a series based on the 1970s SF show Battlestar Galactica. In fact, a spokesman for SCI FI did not confirm rumors that such a series was in development.

Wonder whose head rolled for that one?

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Thumbs up

That's okay, 'cause they CONFIRMED they're working with Strascinski on B5 new projects. Long live good scifi!

Originally posted by qerlin:
    That's okay, 'cause they CONFIRMED they're working with Strascinski on B5 new projects. Long live good scifi!
    Hope it'll be a redo of the entire season 5 of Babylon 5. Most SF series have 'first season syndrome' - B5 seemed to have 'last season syndrome'.

The least they could do is put Captain what's-her-name back into the soapies where she belongs and pull Claudia Christian back to take command!

Such a shame - left me with a bad taste in my mouth after four years of what I consider the absolute best TV sci-fi ever made.

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

When I was a kid growing up in the '70's, the two shows that I ever watched were Battlestar Gallactica, and Buck Rodgers.

To hear that the SCI-FI channel was to resurrect BG in name only, the feeling that I have right now is that they have absolutely NO inkling of what the fans like.

Why can't they do a series of BG based on the short-ran BG comic book series? Why can't they do something like that? That way Richard Hatch, and the guy who played Colonel Tigh could come back.

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

I loved the Eastern Alliance. There is alot of potential there, methinks.

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Talking

Has anyone attempted to make an Icon Galactica? (Or will admit to it! )
    My players are driving me crazy. (Okay more like just pointing out a pre-existing condition) They want to run TOS, DS9, Andromeda, Space 1999, UFO, Battlestar Galactica, and even Buck Rogers games. I'm not that creative.

(Sorry that this is OT, didn't think I should start a new thread.)

[This message has been edited by Kaiddin (edited 02-14-2001).]