Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced TOS?

Enhanced TOS?

I just got done watching Galileo 7 on FOX today and I swear it looks like the graphics had been enhanced.

Has anybody heard of them re-tooling the outside space shots on TOS episodes with CGI? Has this been going on for a while and I have been totally out of the loop?

Needless to say, the scene where Spock dumps the fuel and ignites it is not what I remember at all... but Tommy likey!

Tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I thought so... really nice work on the space scenes.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Yeah... given the price of the new Remastered First Season, I should be able to afford to buy it in 2013 or so...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Okay, I'll bite. How much is the remastered first season?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Dual-format, standard and HD-DVD, 10-disc set. MSRP $217.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Yeah... given the price of the new Remastered First Season, I should be able to afford to buy it in 2013 or so...
    OTOH, I'm waiting for the sweet price drop on the originals so I can grab the 3rd season finally...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Dual-format, standard and HD-DVD, 10-disc set. MSRP $217.
    *whistles*

Yeah, I think I'll wait a bit before I grab that up. What are they thinking?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Well, $217 is only twice what the DVD set went for. When/if HD catches on, the price will drop. Considering how good TOS looks on DVD (it was shot on better film than what i was shipped for syndication), I suspect the HD would look great.

I had read that the reason for the CGI effects was that when they transferred TOS over to HD the detail was so good that you could see the wires holding the models up. I guess it was to the pont of embarassment,not surprisng, since te old opticals were groundbreaking 40 years ago, and designed to be show on the old low rez TV sets). I never could make the join line on Spcoks ears until I watched the DVD on a high def monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    I had read that the reason for the CGI effects was that when they transferred TOS over to HD the detail was so good that you could see the wires holding the models up.
    Did anyone actually ever use wires? after the 50s?

If the models were reshot and edited together with modern digital editing, it probably wouldn't look bad at all; the major problem with miniatures was essentially putting it all together in post-production.

Excuse me while I whine that I don't have an HD-DVD player (just another gadget I can't afford), so I'm a little annoyed that I'd be paying extra for a feature I can't use.

Why can't they just release it on regular, normal-TV-season-price DVD for the people who want that, and HD-DVD for the people who want that?

On the other hand... "good news, everyone!"

Amazon is selling the 1st season for only $129.95
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    Excuse me while I whine that I don't have an HD-DVD player (just another gadget I can't afford), so I'm a little annoyed that I'd be paying extra for a feature I can't use.

Why can't they just release it on regular, normal-TV-season-price DVD for the people who want that, and HD-DVD for the people who want that?

On the other hand... "good news, everyone!"
    Uh, they did. The $100/ season DVDs came out a few years ago. Cosnidering that the series was being sold by episodes (2 episodes per disc at $15 each), it was an improvement. While the old discs did have a slightly higher bitrate on the encode, the season sets have been restored and cleaned up.

IO think the dual format discs are becasue most people who have an HD system also have a DVD system. THis way they can watch the discs on mutlitple machines, take them with them, etc.

IO think the dual format discs are becasue most people who have an HD system also have a DVD system. THis way they can watch the discs on mutlitple machines, take them with them, etc.
    Actually, the discs aren't dual format. They're two different formats. You can get them as either standard DVD or HD-DVD (one of the "New Hot Things" out there trying to be VHS and not BetaMax).
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Uh, they did. The $100/ season DVDs came out a few years ago.
    I meant the remastered DVD's.

What I mean is that standard DVD's of modern hour-long shows go for around $45-60 per season. Sometimes less.

Example: West Wing S7 MSRP was $59.98 on Amazon when it was released last year.

Why a season of Star Trek should go for nearly twice as much has, frankly, escaped me from the get-go

I can see charging more for remastered sets, as all that new work had to be done for them. That's reasonable.

I can see charging more for HD-DVD, too.

What I can't see is bundling the whole thing into expensive-super-gigundo-packs.

Why can't I have a slightly-more-expensive-than-normal-TV-show regular remastered DVD set, and let the technophiles buy the ultramegacombinerheaydreadnought set?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, the discs aren't dual format. They're two different formats. You can get them as either standard DVD or HD-DVD (one of the "New Hot Things" out there trying to be VHS and not BetaMax).
    You have to buy both. You can't buy one or the other. The discs are DVD on one side and HD-DVD on the other.