Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dune RPG

Dune RPG

I'm collecting all ICON related books, but the Dune RPG is the only book that I'm missing. I've looked on the interet and found nobody that sells the book.
    If you know someone that is kind enough to sell it please let me know.
    I'm particulary intrested in the difference in combat system (and Martial arts) that this book contains. Also I think that there will be some sort of enviromental rules for surviving in the desert (dehydration, sun stroke).
    If there is some body on these boards that onws the book, can they give me information on these subjects (may be even mail them to me if possible).

Thx.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

If i recall correctly it never was published in the first place. WOTC bought them along with their Dune license and went on to publish Dune D20 .

So I would be very surprised if you find someone selling the book.
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Oh it was published. But only released at one gencon. It now goes for $200 or more on ebay due to the limited number as WoTC destroyed all copies not sold (or so the rumor goes)
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

The print run for Dune was fairly small, under 3000 books, and to my knowledge the entire print run sold out in short order. Wizards of the Coast had no intention of reprinting the book; the only reason they released it was to fulfill a provision of their purchase agreement with Last Unicorn Games. So the game is rather scarce, and can fetch several hundred dollars easily should you find a copy for sale. I just tell those people with a need for Dune roleplaying to dash off and acquire the free PDF for Burning Sands: Jihad.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I know that is very hard to find.
    But is there some one on these boards that has the book
    so that he (she) can share the differences with the ICON system in the Star Trek rpg.

Hey, good point. I figure the majority of those copies were bought by Trek RPG members (we were the ones who knew about it), so someone arond here must own a copy.

Some of the more generic SF stuff could be ported over for Trek gaming.

There were no changes to the basic ICON mechanics. The rules for House creation were minimal, the assumption was that PCs were members of a Minor House attached to one of the well-known Great Houses. The rules for political warfare were practically non-existent, lots of references to stuff that was poorly (or never) explained. I sold my copy because, aside from the spiffy Dune-specific skills and skill implementations, it was incomplete and I knew I'd have to write a huge chunk of my own rules in order to use it. That's not why I buy a game...
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

Ranconteur Wrote:
    There were no changes to the basic ICON mechanics. The rules for House creation were minimal.
    I've read somewhere that the combat system is totally different that the one in most of the ICON book. And hat is what interests me the most.

This is what I found on the internet:
    Combat is also relatively simple at its core, with room for elaboration. Each weapon has a basic to-hit number representing its accuracy, but if the defending character dodges and obtains a higher number for a result, that becomes the new to-hit number. Each character in a combat also has a number of Option Points which they can spend on maneuvers, from basic dodges and tackles to feints, ripostes and the Slow Attack that's ever-so-necessary for shield fighting. Damage is a cumulative system, with x number of hits taking you to a certain wound level which makes activity more difficult. Looking at the various weapon damage values, the lethality of the system seems about right; a good hit or two can put you in serious trouble, which fits what I've read.
    What are these option points, and what do they do?
    So if there is somebody that has the book, or if some one knows some one who owns the book please let us know.
    Or make some sort of PDF so that the others can benifit from this information that never will be published any way.
    Last edited by IKI; 09-28-2007 at 10:56 AM.

I'll try and remember to dig my copy out and run a quick check over the weekend...

Nice to know it's so pricey these days!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by IKI
    Or make some sort of PDF so that the others can benifit from this information that never will be published any way.
    Except it was published... in the Dune rulebook, which was the final piece of ICON material produced.

Imagus Wrote

I'll try and remember to dig my copy out and run a quick check over the weekend...
    Thanks, it would be very greatfull.

Nice to know it's so pricey these days!
    Ha you know it, up 150-250$
    I would love to get a copy of that book.
    But their are none for sale for the moment.

Noble Knight Games has it through its purchase of Titan Games' online business.
    Last Unicorn Games listings $250
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by RaconteurX
    I just tell those people with a need for Dune roleplaying to dash off and acquire the free PDF for Burning Sands: Jihad.
    Where can one get a copy of this PDF?

Get it here...

I've still got my copy if you need any specific information
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"