Thread: Hello

Hello

I just wanted to say a big hello to everyone out there i'm glad to have found this site as I've been playing the decipher star trek game from when it started. I was wondering if anyone here knows whats going to happen to the franchise now?

Your guess is every bit as good as ours. Perhaps better.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

It'll sit around until next year when mongoose or margaret weis will do a crappy new edition that alienates the CODA/ICON/FASA people and gets everything wrong...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Not that a Cortex System write-up for Trek would be too awful, it has very robust and playable mechanics. Even so, I'd rather see a more story-driven rules set... not that we'd ever see an official, licensed FATE Trek. I should get started on converting the CODA rules to FATE, though.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    It'll sit around until next year when mongoose or margaret weis will do a crappy new edition that alienates the CODA/ICON/FASA people and gets everything wrong...
    So long as we're going to be open-minded about it...

Cortex works quite well, and makes for easy, cinematic role play. Mongoose does d20, sure, and I hate that mechanic... but did a creidble job with 2nd ed. B5.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq View Post
    So long as we're going to be open-minded about it...

Cortex works quite well, and makes for easy, cinematic role play. Mongoose does d20, sure, and I hate that mechanic... but did a creidble job with 2nd ed. B5.
    I'm thinking more the Trek ethos. It's too easy for someone to either go all Prime Directive-y and use it as another military SF setting, or swing too Utopian in their take on the world and gloss over questions of how it actually functions. If there's people who don't "bellyfeel" Trek writing it, then it might just become another RPG with Andorians and Vulcans tacked on.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry