Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vatican archive yields Templar secrets

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    And, uh, Kirk met Apollo that one time.
    And in that episode, Kirk refers to the One God. "Mankind has no need for Gods, we find the one quite sufficient."

And in "Bread and Circuses," both Kirk and Uhura refer to "The Son" (once the mistake of confusing it with "the Sun" is finished) as a being whose story they're familiar with.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Wow!Yet with a disclaimer, that they are not connected to the original.

Umm . . . OK.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

I'm also a member... though I don't go to meetings, and someone else pays my dues, and I've rather drifted away from that whole "professing Christian" thing, so I'm really TINO (Templar In Name Only - I just made it up)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

There's a lot of romantic ideas about the Templars, but mostly they are made up later Victorian fantasies. The Order was disbanded in France with the permission of the Pope. How and why is unclear (hence the mythos around them) but in England and Germany some remote bits of the order were left alone, and most of their lands and well people went to the Hospitalliers of St. John. ( I believe it was only the head of the order which was burned at the stake, and a few others important high ranking members killed).

There are many people and orders who tie themselves into the Templar mythology, but by and large those are 'modern', and have little real tie (Unlike the Hospitalliers of St. John who are very much still a real order, still around today though they don't go on many crusades these days ).

By and large the order in reality was largely devout, but like many religious orders, in the middle ages, when they were examined they had some unorthodox (and in some rare cases heretical) ideas mingled into their belief structure, which was the flimsy 'evidence' they used to bring down the Order. Why they were really disbanded is a matter of historical debate, but the era of the crusades had largely passed by then, and many countries felt threatened by the power and wealth of the Templars. Their usefulness had passed, and the various wars in the Iberian region showed they could be problematic.

We should probably avoid debating the whole 'poverty' issue as that is somewhat of a sore point for Christians (of all flavours) - a little thing we like to call the Reformation, and several hundred years of political and religious wars!
    Ta Muchly

Do tell about there Iberian Peninsula issues . . . was this connected to the Reconquista?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One