Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I've been...

Generally one or the other is enough for most people, Owen, but you really raised the bar by having a heart attack and a stroke. And pneumonia on top of that! I hereby nominate Owen to the post of Iron Man of TrekRPGNet, for endurance above and beyond the call of duty. Wishing you a swift, safe and complete recovery, man.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Andf that ain't enough, I've also been diagnosed with diabetes. I've also picked an impressive array of scars: a 10" one down my chest, a 4" one across my stomach, a couple of 1" ones on my left thigh, a 10" one on my left forearm where they took out a vein to fix the heart, and a traheotomy scar on my throat. I look like I took on a klingon...

Oh dear, well the rule of 3's been broken then.

Is that type 2 Diabetes? You can manage that, somewhat. with careful dietingm but it's not good.

and yeah I can imagine you're going to be fairly sore for a while! :S
    Ta Muchly

My dad had a heart attack and triple bypass and a mitral valve repair two years ago. He's 72 now and back to running at least 5 miles a day. My point is, if he can do that, Owen will learn to walk again and return to a regular life. Maybe not exactly the life you had before, but still a normal everyday life, but with a new appreciation for all the small blessings.

Be strong, Owen. But also be smart enough to listen to the professionals if they say you're pushing too hard. Prayers and blessings be with you.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Owen, it was with great unease and dismay that I looked at your opening post for this thread: my deepest sympathies and most heartfelt wishes for a quick and incidentless recovery.

Like many others here have already related, I too lost a parent (father) to a heart attack, and when he was an ungodly young age: 43. From what you've related, it's taken some doing and detours, but the road to recovery is there. For all those up north of the forty-ninth parallel, let's all thank our personal God for Canadian Medicare.

Yes! All hail Kiefer Sutherland's grandfather! If I'd been a denizen af an unnamed country to our south, I'd be a goner... (Not to get political...)

Wow Owen, sounds like you had one tough summer. About the only thing you didn't get was a paper cut.

Rest up and recuperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Yes! All hail Kiefer Sutherland's grandfather! If I'd been a denizen af an unnamed country to our south, I'd be a goner... (Not to get political...)
    You know, I'm more emotionally attached to health care policies than to any ideas of national identity. I guess this is what happens when you're raised in the age of globalization.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Owen, heal quickly and we look forward to your full-time return. All my hopes and prayers are with you.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    You know, I'm more emotionally attached to health care policies than to any ideas of national identity. I guess this is what happens when you're raised in the age of globalization.

I have to assume he means Mexico. My insurance would cover all that stuff... and my secondary insurance pays ME for being sick.

Type 2 Diabetes is manageable with diet, exercise, and small amounts of medication. It can hit anybody. I have it, as do my father and uncle, who are both in far better shape than I am.

Best of luck Owen. That's a lot of junk to handle all at once.

And to think I've been moaning because I just had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled.
    (Insert obvious quip about Fo2's total lack of wisdom here.)
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    I have to assume he means Mexico. My insurance would cover all that stuff... and my secondary insurance pays ME for being sick.
    And how'd you get that? Who pays for it?
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 11-03-2007 at 01:54 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    And how'd you get that? Who pays for it?
    My employer (the University) pays for the Primary. The Secondary (which is actually like 7 different policies including two kinds of life insurance) takes $170 of my own money each month, but it's worth it if I get sick. It'll practically reimburse my salary if I'm laid up or diabled, above and beyond disability and worker's comp if I'm hurt on the job, and/or allow Julie to pay off the mortgage completely if I die.

Another of the policies above is a cancer policy. I pay in around $17 a month, and if I stay cancer-free for 20 years (a moderate gamble, 3 of my grandparents died of various cancers, but the smoker and the coal miner died in their late 60's and 70's, and the other lived to be 80 - I got the policy at 35, so I only have to live to 55 to collect) I get the whole thing back as one lump sum.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

See what I mean?

No. I'm afraid I'm missing your point.

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    No. I'm afraid I'm missing your point.
    Your employer is the primary contributor...