Thread: Heavy Weapons (Photon Torpedo) Problem

Cool Heavy Weapons (Photon Torpedo) Problem

Most of the time, at least in ST:TOS and ST:TNG, Kirk and Picard only used ship´s phasers, and only when needed.

It is clear to me that - originaly - the authors wanted photon torpedoes to be really heavy weapons, only used when necessary. The decision to use photon torpedoes was usually taken after trying phasers.

Then the new movies kicked in, DS9 went to total war, and Voyager suddenly started to magicaly replicate heavy weapons at will. Torpedoes maybe the coolest think in CGI, but where are their blasts?

I miss the old times, but how to emulate that in RPG?

If I do not mess up with the rules the players will almost aways start battles with the heavies stuff they have. Basicaly almost all the rules (including DECIPHER and LUG induces the players to do it).

I was coinsidering 2 options to keep like the old times:

* Energy weapons could be more precise when you do not want to destroy your target. Using this line of tought, even if a torpedoe is precise to hit certain parts of a target, you cannot assume its blast would not hit other systens and kill people inside.

* Continuing from above, heavy weapons could even be forbidden to use surgicaly. You could target the engines, but even so you could hit: engines, life support, destroy a sickbay full of sick people, and trow some crewman into the space vaccuum, all with 1 shot.

* Heavy weapons could have a bigger blast. Big enough to damage nearby targets. Even with ST huge weapon ranges.

* I left budget restrictions out, becuse usually its not a ST issue. Picard does not use his torpedoes agaist the ferengi for budget issues? Naaaaa.

I could bring this tread to the CODA system I am using but I believe here the discussion could be more interesting.

What do you guys think? What have you been doing? Do you feel like me?

Keep in mind that, as the rules are written, torpedoes do "splash damage" to the firing ship fired at close range...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Please continue....

Could you elaborate a bit more?

In DECIPHER (CODA) rules for example (same in LUG), this splash damage is just a special effect. It has no real impact on targeting, or colateral damage.

Please tell me more. Maybe I am missing something.

You could always make up some kind of regulations. Per protocol you may only fire a warning shot, then use phasers and if this does not work, torpedoes, maybe as a way to prvent escalations.

Besides phasers cause the same damage as torps, when powered enough. Type X phasers doe the same dama at basic configuration, while others can do more damage of more power is distributed to them ( at least in LUG ). And the real use of torpedoes is that they may be fired at warp speed, while phasers cannot - non-Voyager phasers that is.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

My players once were somewhat trigger happy with their torps... until that fateful day one of them was abducted and taken away in an old Freighter. It all was intended as a hook For a greater adventure. They first tried Phasers but were unlucky and had a malfunction that lasted for about five Minutes. Instead of waiting the PC Captain called for a barrage of four torps. Of which two hit. The First obliterated the meager shields and the other damaged by accident the warp core resulting in the destruction of the ship. All incriminating evidence was lost. Feeling generous i had them have a minute to locate and beam the abducted away. But their hopes to find out who was responsible were dashed.

At least now they think twice about using torps that liberally
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk View Post
    You could always make up some kind of regulations. Per protocol you may only fire a warning shot, then use phasers and if this does not work, torpedoes, maybe as a way to prvent escalations.
    I agree, and indeed something like that is implicit under the rules of engagement: "only respond with equal force".

And thats what I disliked the most about LUG rules for space combat. I like the idea that torpedoes are the heavy weapons. At least DECIPHER corrected that or at least gave us means to do it.

Captain Otto,
    What rule systen was that?

Thanks guys! Its nice not feel alone. Any more imputs will be welcome.

Captain Otto,
    What rule systen was that?
    ICON - They just rolled really unlucky.
    Besides having spoiled a long prepared Eipsode they took the lesson to heart.

I think they suspect me fuding...
    "Space may be the Final Frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication"

"per aspera ad astra"

Seneca

Thanks

Thanks for the kind answers. I guess house rules will do it...

I've always though tthat phasers could be aimed, whereas torpedoes, you hit wherever.

So, trying to minimize loss oflife the federation is not going to start banging away with torpedoes, first shots, unless sorely pressed or in a war state.

Otherwise the board of inquiry is gonna have the CO on the carpet, accounting for how and why he /she decided to go full bore with torpedoes, with appropriate agression entries into their service jacket, based on the board's findings.
    - LUGTrekGM

I imagine two reasons for using phasers instead of torpedoes.

Reason 1: Phasers are precise and can hit a specific, tiny area easily whereas torpedoes are massive explosions that will spread damage all over. Phasers can also be powered to the exact level needed to cause the required damage while torpedoes have one power setting (more or less, since several shows have the captain ordering different yield torps). If the captain wants to destroy a ship, use torps. If the captain wants to disable a ship, use phasers. If the captain is in Starfleet, there is a 10:1 chance the captain will try not to cause unnecessary death and will disable a ship's weapons or propulsion and take prisoners, which means phasers are required.

Reason 2: Phasers are high energy weapons. They cut, melt, and evaporate material. That leaves zero, one, or two pieces behind after an attack. Torpedoes are explosive weapons. They shred material. That leaves thousands of pieces behind after an attack. Shrapnel can be very dangerous in space and it is probably somewhere in Starfleet's orders to it's captains to not go around littering space with hazardous debris whenever avoidable.