Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The End Has Come

Originally posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Why not? Sure, it wasn't as popular as Magic, but it was pretty old. Most of the people over on the Decipher RPG boards probably played it...
    I was writing of the largely worthless corporate entity that men call Decipher, not any game or game engine - RPG, CCG or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    You can't. At least not legally. hat is the thing about the DCMA, the end user doesn't has the legal right to sell a digital product he owns to someone else. Plus there is the fact that since the lisence is expired, Decipeher and RPG now shouldn't be selling the PDFs on-line anymore, either.
    You would register at RPGnow as rpg239@yahoo.com (or some other free mail service with a vague random name) as your name and pay by PayPal then transfer the email address (after disassociating from pay pal) with the sale of the PDF. How then can they prove that they are not the original purchaser?

Plus there is the fact that since the lisence is expired, Decipeher and RPG now shouldn't be selling the PDFs on-line anymore, either.
    Then they should sue Decipher and OneBookShelf.com, not those that purchase the PDFs as they are at fault.

As for suing. Sadly, it is easier than you think. The way the MPAA and RIAA have set thing up, they could just hit anyone they wanted with a large suit, and scare people into compliance. While no RPG company really has the chas to pull that tactic off except for, maybe, Hasbro, VIACOM does. That's what's been happening so far. Just threaten someone with a multimillion dollar lawsuit and see how fast they are willing to delete a PDF from their hard drive.
    Why would Viacom sue, they don't own Star Trek (perhaps the movie rights maybe), CBS Studio owns Star Trek. The MPAA and RIAA cases have gone after the clear big cases to scare off the smaller fish. They would have a nightmare senario by going after someone has legitimately purchased the PDF and has sold it to some else. They would get vary bad publicity from it. Remember how TSR got tagged as T$R for going after fan sites.

And, since the law has been chanced to that such actions are now considered criminal offenses, they don't have to sue you, just sick the FBI on you for committing a felony and let the taxpayers pay for it.

Now enforcement of all this depends of IF Paramount/VIACOM notices AND if they decide to take action. Right now I suspect the RPG is "under the radar" and they probably are not aware of DriveThruRPG or RPGnow. I suspect the RPGs will stay up until someone at Paramount/ViaCom catches on and DriveThru and RPGNow get warnings.

<snip>
    The FBI won't go after anyone under it with such vague owner ship evidence when someone has paid for the item. Said item was not stolen and the vague name is associated with the person currently possessing said file.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    You would register at RPGnow as rpg239@yahoo.com (or some other free mail service with a vague random name) as your name and pay by PayPal then transfer the email address (after disassociating from pay pal) with the sale of the PDF. How then can they prove that they are not the original purchaser?
    Easy, because when you pay for it, it comes from a bank account or credit card, and that is traceable. So the owner of the account would be the owner of the PDF. In addtion many PDFs have electronic watermarks in them that help to identify the purchaser (an a near white yellow that is hard to notice). A few games (including DecTrek) even put the purchasers ID on the bottom of each page.

So any PDF purchased online has a trail and a way to prove who actually purchased it. Anyone who can't prove that they purchased it obviously have a copy.

Then they should sue Decipher and OneBookShelf.com, not those that purchase the PDFs as they are at fault.
    Technically they should go after the ones responsible for disturbing the PDFs, since they are the ones breaking the law. That would proint the finger at both the site that is offfering the product (although they might be protected in Decipher hasn"t kept the loss of the lisence a secret), AND whoever is making and distrubing the copies of the purchased PDF.

Since they CAN determine who bought the PDF, then that person would be the one charged with violating the DMCA for coping and distrubuting digital material.

Why would Viacom sue, they don't own Star Trek (perhaps the movie rights maybe), CBS Studio owns Star Trek. The MPAA and RIAA cases have gone after the clear big cases to scare off the smaller fish. They would have a nightmare senario by going after someone has legitimately purchased the PDF and has sold it to some else. They would get vary bad publicity from it. Remember how TSR got tagged as T$R for going after fan sites.

Depends if if Star Is owned entired by CBS PAramount Television or Viacom/Paramount Films, or both. All the shows and films have the Paramount logo, and that why the last couple of series were on UPN.

The FBI won't go after anyone under it with such vague owner ship evidence when someone has paid for the item. Said item was not stolen and the vague name is associated with the person currently possessing said file.
    Guess again. Take a look at how the current laws work. They will have a real name, not a vague one and an electronic money trail, that's more than enough.

Plus the big problem comes with copying and distribution. For example, lets say that I had purchased the DecTrek Worlds book from DriveThruRPG, becuase I have. Now, let's say that, hypotehtically speaking, I decided to copy it and make it avialable to all my fellow gamers here at Trek-RPG.

Well,my actual name (not my email address) and order number are written on each and every page of the PDF file on the bottom is easy to read writing (and that assuming they didn't hide in somewhere else in an invisible font, that I don't know about). So if copies of that PDF start showing up, any investigator would have a name and order number to help them ID the one responsible. So it wound not take them long to track down me, my bank or credit card account, my adress, paypal account, and order number form DriveThru. So, worse case sceanrio, they'd have me dead to rights by lunchtime.
    Last edited by tonyg; 12-07-2007 at 12:09 PM.

I am. I've got some edidence to that end too.

I had a group that LOVED Pendragon, and played it for years. Yet only two of the players bought the game book. But when Magic came out, everyone at the table bought lots of cards.
    Yes, but... they're completely different types of games. If your players are suddenly ditching playing RPGs for CCGs, that's another kind of problem.

And how the hell can you expect to monetize pnp RPGs the same way you do CCGs?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Yes, but... they're completely different types of games. If your players are suddenly ditching playing RPGs for CCGs, that's another kind of problem.
    No, it is they problem. The collapse of the RPG industry coicides withhe rise of CCGs becuase many RPGs did switch to playing CCGs. Money the spend of CCGs isn't going to RPGs.

And how the hell can you expect to monetize pnp RPGs the same way you do CCGs?

By repacing all in one RPGs with systems that break things up into series of books. That way player are forced into buying mutiple books to get the game rules.

THen you could come up with special goodies and addons, new spells, equipment, advanced/alternate rules, or prestige classes, and only put them in certain supplments so that people will have to buy them to get the add ons. In other words, just what WotC has been doing since they came out with D&D 3.0. White Wolf isn't bad at it either. Once you break up characters into differernt clans, tribes, tradtions, whatever, it means a supplment for each group. Take a look at how many books you have to buy for Mongoose Publishing version of RuneQuest just to cover everything that was covered in RuneQuest 3 or even RuneQuest 2.

And in a little while, when D20 becomes an on-line RPG, they can probably start selling in game gold pieces and magic items to players for real money, the way "free" RPGs like AdventureQuest and DragonFable are already doing. For $30 you can buy your character a magic sword.

No, it is they problem. The collapse of the RPG industry coicides withhe rise of CCGs becuase many RPGs did switch to playing CCGs. Money the spend of CCGs isn't going to RPGs.
    And yet, in your anecdote, they weren't spending money on RPGs before that.

And in a little while, when D20 becomes an on-line RPG, they can probably start selling in game gold pieces and magic items to players for real money, the way "free" RPGs like AdventureQuest and DragonFable are already doing. For $30 you can buy your character a magic sword.
    Yeah, but why would you do that when you can pick up an old d20 book for 5 bucks and have magic swords for free? Or, hell, use that same laptop for buying pdfs of the books for 2.

PnP RPGs have always been a higher-involvement-investment than other games and, except for the 3rd party creations of d20, difficult to break down into smaller useful portions and monetize. If this relegates them to cottage industry status, so be it. Maybe you could pass around a hat for the GM next session.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

And yet, in your anecdote, they weren't spending money on RPGs before that.
    Yes, but after CCG's, the same was true with a lot of RPGers. Most people have a certain amount of disposable income that they can use for things like RPGs. If they money is going towards something else, it isn't going towards RPGs.

Also, the fact that they were not spending money on RPGs, but would spend money on CCGs also means that a company could make more money by making CCGs instead of RPGs. Since CCGs are more expensive to produce than RPGs, smaller companies have to made decisions about what to produce.

Yeah, but why would you do that when you can pick up an old d20 book for 5 bucks and have magic swords for free? Or, hell, use that same laptop for buying pdfs of the books for 2.
    Me? I probably wouldn't do that. Or would do that because I was in a location without any local RPG groups and had no choice but to play something online.

PnP RPGs have always been a higher-involvement-investment than other games and, except for the 3rd party creations of d20, difficult to break down into smaller useful portions and monetize. If this relegates them to cottage industry status, so be it. Maybe you could pass around a hat for the GM next session.
    As long as the cottage industry sticks around. In some ways this is cyclic. Backin the early days, RPG design was a "garage" hobby. Then it turned into an industry. Then other games started biting into AD&D dominance. And lately OGL d20 has given WotC the majority of the RPG market.

Thankfully, we have desktop publishing, PDFs, and the internet to keep other RPGs alive.

With computer games co-opting the RPG term and growing to the point where many people thing of RPGs as computer games, I suspect the "Pen & Paper" crowd, especially the non-d20 ones (although with D&D poised to become an on-line RPG I suspect that WotC, may one day drop "pen & paper" versions), appear to be destined to fade into obsurity.

Wow. I come back from working on the TNG sourcebook amongst other things and this happens.

Wow.

A quick query, and a question I've been holding onto until it was confirmed that Decipher Trek was officially dead in terms of producing new product...

What would be the legalities involved in the bunch of us here smacking together a netbook version of Star Trek 2nd ed.? What with the CODA System BSR out on GOB's site and so much Trek reference on the web? I recall several posts early in the thread someone mentioning doing a homebrew Trek game (something I've toyed with myself), but also the apathy of having to learn yet another rules engine.

I ask this fully cognizant of this being deemed a bad idea, but I thought I'd ask all the same, us all being both gamers and Trek fans.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Yes, but after CCG's, the same was true with a lot of RPGers. Most people have a certain amount of disposable income that they can use for things like RPGs. If they money is going towards something else, it isn't going towards RPGs.
    Yes, but you're missing the previous point. You said your players weren't spending in the first place.

Also, the fact that they were not spending money on RPGs, but would spend money on CCGs also means that a company could make more money by making CCGs instead of RPGs. Since CCGs are more expensive to produce than RPGs, smaller companies have to made decisions about what to produce.
    And also ending up crashing and burning, I expect...

Me? I probably wouldn't do that. Or would do that because I was in a location without any local RPG groups and had no choice but to play something online.
    So make a group! The hobby can't grow unless people try to get others into it.

As long as the cottage industry sticks around. In some ways this is cyclic. Backin the early days, RPG design was a "garage" hobby. Then it turned into an industry. Then other games started biting into AD&D dominance. And lately OGL d20 has given WotC the majority of the RPG market.
    I suspect that the D&D player dominance has been constant, with WW sales in the 90s inflated by their writing style (and I guess content) leading to a bit of a collecting urge rather than actual constant play.

With computer games co-opting the RPG term and growing to the point where many people thing of RPGs as computer games, I suspect the "Pen & Paper" crowd, especially the non-d20 ones (although with D&D poised to become an on-line RPG I suspect that WotC, may one day drop "pen & paper" versions), appear to be destined to fade into obsurity.
    As obscure as zines and real punk, I guess.

[QUOTE=The Tatterdemalion King;166831]Yes, but you're missing the previous point. You said your players weren't spending in the first place.

Oh, I see you point. But, I think that if I were running an game company and was making X dollars in profit from an RPG, and then published a CCG and it made 10 times X in profit, I'd swtich.

My argument was that since the players weren't spending money in the first place, Chaosium had no incentive to continue supporting the RPG. It like when a movie gets rave reviews but no one goes to see it, and then they all wonder why there isn't a sequel.

And also ending up crashing and burning, I expect...
    Yup. The intial investment is so much higher, comapred to RPGs, that if the CCG flops a small company is in trouble.

Problem is, many players who switch over to CCGs never come back. Many just grow tired of CCGs and stop gaming altogether.

So make a group! The hobby can't grow unless people try to get others into it.
    I was speaking hypothetically. If I were in a location without any local RPG groups and had no choice but to play something online. A live group is always peferable.

I suspect that the D&D player dominance has been constant, with WW sales in the 90s inflated by their writing style (and I guess content) leading to a bit of a collecting urge rather than actual constant play.
    [.quote]

No, it fluctuates, just that D&D's market share has always been so high that it has always been top dog. Sort of like the US Olympic Basketball team once we started letting NBA player onto the team. We KNOW thaey are going to win, we just don't know by how much.

As obscure as zines and real punk, I guess.
    Where we are old and decrepit, I suspect that when we mention RPGs to people and how we used to play in groups around a table, people will have no idea what we are talking about.

"How could you do that before computers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    What would be the legalities involved in the bunch of us here smacking together a netbook version of Star Trek 2nd ed.? What with the CODA System BSR out on GOB's site and so much Trek reference on the web? I recall several posts early in the thread someone mentioning doing a homebrew Trek game (something I've toyed with myself), but also the apathy of having to learn yet another rules engine.

I ask this fully cognizant of this being deemed a bad idea, but I thought I'd ask all the same, us all being both gamers and Trek fans.
    I'm no lawyer, but...

1) Star Trek is owned by Paramount, so they probably wouldn't be happy with it, if they found out about it. Then again, they have been pretty nice to fan based Trek stuff like New Voyages.

2) Decipher still owns the RPG system. We COULD swipe most of it, provided that we omitted Trek specific terms and some game specific terminology.

But, nothing says we could do up an RPG, call it "SPACE JOURNEY" or some such, with a UNION OF STAR SYSTEMS" or what not. We could draw "inspiration" from CODA, or use something else.The new Traveler is OGL, too. so converting stats would be pretty easy, too.

But the real question might be, "Why switch?" We already got the books, and no one is going to be bothered by our using an RPG that we already own. Now that DECTrek is defunct, we can probably pick up back up copies fairly cheap on-line.

2) Decipher still owns the RPG system. We COULD swipe most of it, provided that we omitted Trek specific terms and some game specific terminology.
    They don't own the system, just the presentation and trademark. It's very possible to redo a 'Coda SRD' so long as it doesn't infringe on either. Heck, at this point, it may be worth the time to SECURE the rights outright (and I may call on that).

But the real question might be, "Why switch?" We already got the books, and no one is going to be bothered by our using an RPG that we already own. Now that DECTrek is defunct, we can probably pick up back up copies fairly cheap on-line.
    Largely for bringing in other players to play too.. hard to get new guys into the fold if the material isn't available.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

I'm no lawyer, but...

1) Star Trek is owned by Paramount, so they probably wouldn't be happy with it, if they found out about it. Then again, they have been pretty nice to fan based Trek stuff like New Voyages.
    Not that different from the dozens, if not hundreds, of fan conversions of other games to Trek. Or, for that matter, the Trek RPs going on all over teh intarwebz.

I'd be onboard for doing a CODA 2.0 book...
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 01-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Not that different from the dozens, if not hundreds, of fan conversions of other games to Trek. Or, for that matter, the Trek RPs going on all over teh intarwebz.
    Agreed. At least if some enterprising buncha netsurfers smacked their skulls together on a new Trek game, whether a new Codafied one or a new one out of whole cloth, at least economics wouldn't get in the way of new product. Maybe the Klingon book would actually get published!!

I agree though that there are already three well-conceptualized Star Trek RPGs floating around the grey market, and that those who have them arguably have all they need what with what books were published and fan supplements.

Still, as TF said, playing an RPG that continually gets stillborn and goes out of print before much of it gets produced and/or released can be a hurdle for luring new players. Most of the players that I've run campaigns of something other than what they're used to playing often opt to obtain corebooks of their own.

Nice to dream.
    Last edited by Mac417; 01-08-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417 View Post
    Maybe the Klingon book would actually get published!!
    I call dibs on development. Hell, I have a few thousand words of it already written.