Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Has Come

Heresy Games went out of biz and never paid. Cubicle 7 bought 'em paid me on some of the back work, but hasn't ponied up on the two new books I worked on. Still waiting to see what Adamant does. Steve Jackson considered and rejected one idea for a book, so I never wrote it. Adamant has given me the "anything you want to write about is good by us" line, but until I see green, no work-ee.

Floating a query at Margaret Weiss' bunch this month. Mostly, I'm concentrating on the dissertation, which is being written less for academia and more with an eye for publication, and I need to start shopping the novel around again.

Simply too bloody busy and the art don't pay. Unless you're incredibly lucky, they rarely do.

Talking of Steve Long

Did I hear right and the praise send Mr. Long's way. i love the work he did on the Stardock series.

I was thinking that a Heroes based trek system work work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanty View Post
    Did I hear right and the praise send Mr. Long's way. i love the work he did on the Stardock series.
    Yup. Especially since Steve went out of his way to get SPACEDOCK released after LUG went belly up.

Quite a few people have done nice things aroun here. Some of us just piss and moan, but other have actually done something.

So three cheers and a medal seems like a small acknowledgment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    We should just make our own, publicly available Trek RPG.
    We've gone down this road before....

Nice idea, except that Paramont would probably not take too kindly too it. I suppose the smart thing to do would see if someone could talk Paramount into releasing its own Star Trek RPG, the wave Marvel Comics did their own RPG game.

Not that it would be easy to pull off, but that way, we wouldn't have to worry about the game going bye-bye every few years when the liscence expires.

Paramount would - as was the case back in the early-mid '70s when Franz Josef acquired the rights - probably not care too much about an outside party taking the helm if the franchise were as "dead" as it was back then. There ain't too much going on with Trek these days, so...oh wait, there is the new movie. Well, a couple well-placed explosions at the studio should take care of that. Now, just have to find that munitions dump outside the CEO's headquarters and a sonic grenade with the delayed-action fuse...

Seriously, the idea of Paramount/Viacom starting up its own RPG division is an intriguing one, but I get the impression - from various comments made by Doug, Don and Matt Colville over the past several years - that P/V cares about as much for this aspect of business as, say...oh, Decipher cares about its own licenced RPGs. Marvel was a comics shop from the get-go, regardless of what they may have become over the last fifteen years or so...Paramount/Viacom has such a huge range of concerns at this point that nothing less than the prospect of major six- to seven-figure income would be enough to convince them to expend the time, money and agony to set up an outlet for something like this.

Of course, this is an opinion formed out of very little solid information; if anyone has evidence to back this up or deny it, please let us know.

Oh, I agree. One reason why the RPG field is the way it is, is that it never was a big market, and usally gets about the same respect from a stuido as the "home version" of a game show that they give away to contestants who don't win any prizes. Probably generates less money than the board game, too. Its just another way to merchadise the show.

Still, if the right people could be influced to releaize that gamers make a good core fan group to support a franchise (oops, that's right Paramount has switched from "we love the fans" to "the fans only make a small percentage of those who watch the show") it might be possible.

Personally, I'd try to point out to them just how much influence the WEG Star Wars RPG had, and how it was really the primary factor that led to the revitization of the Star Wars franchise. Then I'd point out how Star Wars and Stargate both have RPGs but Star Trek doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Then I'd point out how Star Wars and Stargate both have RPGs but Star Trek doesn't.
    I feel the need to point out that the Stargate RPG is in a kind of a CODA...

I also feel the need to point out there isn't a production Stargate RPG out there, AEG stopped making it ages ago
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    I also feel the need to point out there isn't a production Stargate RPG out there, AEG stopped making it ages ago

The license might have expired All so similar. And wasn't Don also writing material for Stargate as well as for CODA Trek? So much in common...

And Star Wars Saga is quite new on the stage and I doubt it will be active for far too long. It'll work as a testbed for D&D 4E and then will go back to a CODAresque sleep.

That's why Babylon 5 RPG is still alive. No "Star" in the name. All games with "Star" in the name die.

I also feel the need to point out the fact that Star Wars never needed 'revitalising' and even if it did, WEG's D6, Wizard's D20 nor any other roleplaying game had anything to do with it.

We've gone down this road before....

Nice idea, except that Paramont would probably not take too kindly too it. I suppose the smart thing to do would see if someone could talk Paramount into releasing its own Star Trek RPG, the wave Marvel Comics did their own RPG game.
    Dude, how many Trek-in-system-X conversions are floating around out there? Would some alarm bill go off in pmount's licensing office if someone slapped some core rules in there too?

Hell, we could strip the levels out of OGL d20 and just use that...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Personally, I'd try to point out to them just how much influence the WEG Star Wars RPG had, and how it was really the primary factor that led to the revitization of the Star Wars franchise. ..
    Um...I think if any game had a hand in this it was the series of computer games, most specifically the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. The RPG probably turned an acceptable penny, since it kept WEG alive despite all of the vagaries of the RPG business, for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq View Post
    Um...I think if any game had a hand in this it was the series of computer games, most specifically the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games. The RPG probably turned an acceptable penny, since it kept WEG alive despite all of the vagaries of the RPG business, for over a decade.
    Well, it did serve to add backround used in the books too.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Dude, how many Trek-in-system-X conversions are floating around out there? Would some alarm bill go off in pmount's licensing office if someone slapped some core rules in there too?

Hell, we could strip the levels out of OGL d20 and just use that...
    It's not the copyright/license issue so much - it's more the system. A free Trek RPG and associated sourcebooks by the fans, for the fans is a terrific idea and I'd be all on board...

...if any of us could agree on a system. Some of us like cinematic. Some of us like crunchy. All of us have different ideas about how phasers and shields and tricorders and communicators work. Creating a rule system that we all like and agree on is, I think akin to stacking marbles.

I think that the people who want to roleplay in the Star Trek universe will already have a system that they like. There are four official systems to choose from (available via filesharing if you can't find them on eBay) aswell as it being a really simple job to 'Trekify' other systems if you prefer them.

As I mentioned before, I don't think it's a(nother) rules system that people need but a systemless or multi-system online resource. I think Trek-RPG is that site and I can't wait until it's back up again. I just hope it's in time for the resurgence in Trek interest towards the end of next year.

Crow

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    It's not the copyright/license issue so much - it's more the system. A free Trek RPG and associated sourcebooks by the fans, for the fans is a terrific idea and I'd be all on board...

...if any of us could agree on a system. Some of us like cinematic. Some of us like crunchy. All of us have different ideas about how phasers and shields and tricorders and communicators work. Creating a rule system that we all like and agree on is, I think akin to stacking marbles.
    It's okay, it's about which gets played anyway.

So if you buy a DecTrek book now, from, say, Paizo.com, who gets the money?