Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Has Come

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Despite the fact the board isn"t as active as it once was, and how many people don't stop by much anymore, this is still my favorite board to chat. It's got some of the best people to chat with on the net.

Even that C. Huth guy was alright.
    I managed to lose my password when I changed computers, and since I no longer had access to the email account I registered under, couldn't log in. By sheer chance, I figured it out the other day while making random attempts to log in.

It's good to be back, though I doubt I'll be all that verbose.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Well it's always nice to have more Brit's here hehe Good to see you around, I might even have my station finished for use in your 74th episode!
    Ta Muchly

Aye, never enough Brits about.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Daniel Hunter View Post
    I managed to lose my password when I changed computers, and since I no longer had access to the email account I registered under, couldn't log in. By sheer chance, I figured it out the other day while making random attempts to log in.

It's good to be back, though I doubt I'll be all that verbose.
    I,m sorry. Who are you again?

I,m sorry. Who are you again?

Hey, it's has been at least a year since I was last here. I don't actually expect anyone to remember me y'know.

No, chatting about how the end of the Decipher liscense doesn't prevent any vendors from selling their stock of CODA products.

But, with the way the DCMA is worded, digital version of CODA products are now by law unsellable.

Personally, I suspect illegal copies of CODA books like Worlds will be traded/given among CODA fans for years.
    That is interesting to know about the digital material & the DCMA. I was thinking that we should legal buy a bunch of copies of the Trek & LOTR material at RPGnow so there will be more copies in currculation. I think if the ownership when purchased is vague say through an account just set up to purchase that copy and you do transfer the email account it was purchased with to the new owner & don't keep a copy of that purchase then it would be difficult for them to sue.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

It would be nice but not likely that Decipher should drop prices on the the PDFs, that would get more copies out there.

Prehaps, we should consider getting some support out like we consider before with convention senarios.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    It would be nice but not likely that Decipher should drop prices on the the PDFs, that would get more copies out there.

Prehaps, we should consider getting some support out like we consider before with convention senarios.
    Well, if the lisence has expired. Decipher can no longer legally sell the PDFs.

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    That is interesting to know about the digital material & the DCMA. I was thinking that we should legal buy a bunch of copies of the Trek & LOTR material at RPGnow so there will be more copies in currculation. I think if the ownership when purchased is vague say through an account just set up to purchase that copy and you do transfer the email account it was purchased with to the new owner & don't keep a copy of that purchase then it would be difficult for them to sue.
    You can't. At least not legally. hat is the thing about the DCMA, the end user doesn't has the legal right to sell a digital product he owns to someone else. Plus there is the fact that since the lisence is expired, Decipeher and RPG now shouldn't be selling the PDFs on-line anymore, either.

As for suing. Sadly, it is easier than you think. The way the MPAA and RIAA have set thing up, they could just hit anyone they wanted with a large suit, and scare people into compliance. While no RPG company really has the chas to pull that tactic off except for, maybe, Hasbro, VIACOM does. That's what's been happening so far. Just threaten someone with a multimillion dollar lawsuit and see how fast they are willing to delete a PDF from their hard drive.

And, since the law has been chanced to that such actions are now considered criminal offenses, they don't have to sue you, just sick the FBI on you for committing a felony and let the taxpayers pay for it.

Now enforcement of all this depends of IF Paramount/VIACOM notices AND if they decide to take action. Right now I suspect the RPG is "under the radar" and they probably are not aware of DriveThruRPG or RPGnow. I suspect the RPGs will stay up until someone at Paramount/ViaCom catches on and DriveThru and RPGNow get warnings.

I suspect that the PDFs will probably xontinue unnoticed until the new Film comes out, and either PAramount hires someone to check the web for illegal copies, or another RPG company get the lisence and makes a complaint, such as what happened in the past with Star Fleet Battles and FASA.

I saw on RPG.net that the Star Trek CCG is ending as well.

It's about time to stick a fork in Decipher...they're done.

Allen

Now that would make me sad. I've played that thing almost since it started.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally posted by AllenS
    I saw on RPG.net that the Star Trek CCG is ending as well.

It's about time to stick a fork in Decipher...they're done.
    Can't say there would be many a tear-filled eye on this side of the RPG border if that turned out to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride View Post
    Can't say there would be many a tear-filled eye on this side of the RPG border if that turned out to be the case.
    Why not? Sure, it wasn't as popular as Magic, but it was pretty old. Most of the people over on the Decipher RPG boards probably played it...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I've heard that some old-school RPG'ers blame CCG's for the "demise" of the RPG market. I'm not one of them, even though CCG's hold absolutely no interest to me.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two View Post
    I've heard that some old-school RPG'ers blame CCG's for the "demise" of the RPG market. I'm not one of them, even though CCG's hold absolutely no interest to me.
    I am. I've got some edidence to that end too.

I had a group that LOVED Pendragon, and played it for years. Yet only two of the players bought the game book. But when Magic came out, everyone at the table bought lots of cards.

When Chasoium dropped the Pednragon line and started working on an Call of Cthulhu CCG, some of my players wondered why, since PEndragon was such a great game.

"Let's see, you guys all like Pendragon, right?" Heads nod.
    "Excluding the GM, you guys spent less than $50 combined on Pendragon over the decade we've been playing. But each of you has spent over $100 in Magic cards, and three of you have spent more than $50 on card in the last week! Do you still need a reason why?"

Thats the thing about RPgs. Once you buy the books, you are set. With CCgs there is always something new being introduced and a desire to get "better" cards, so there is a reason to spend money on it each week.

So yeah, I think CCgs lead to the desmise of the RPG market.