Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Has Come

I'm with you, guys, giving praise to the guys that continued to believe in CODA RPGs. But am I mistaken if I ask to include not only Patrick, Doug and Don but also Ineti? Didn't he have something to do with the LotR CODA stuff?

Jim did, in fact, have a lot to do with the later LOTR RPG stuff; he basically fulfilled my function on that side of the aisle. He just got smart and read the writing on the wall a long time before I did. He deserves some thanks as well.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Thinking about it, do we really need yet another rule system? I'm sure someone will grab the license of course, but it seems to me that we have FASA, we have Prime Directive in it's various forms. We have LUG and we have CODA. What we really need instead of yet another rule system - and exactly the same source books published all over again - is support for the existing systems. Mr Oulton's web site is a veritable gold mine for fans of LUG, but it's a shame that TrekRPG.net is no more as that was an excellent nexus and resource for all the systems and a great focal point for Trek Roleplayers to gather. What we need is something like TrekRPG.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    ...but it's a shame that TrekRPG.net is no more as that was an excellent nexus and resource for all the systems and a great focal point for Trek Roleplayers to gather. What we need is something like TrekRPG.net.
    I thought that Capt. Lundgren and some of the guys were trying to set something like this up? I am always the optimist, and therefore believe that at least this forums will be around (hopefully) forever and will expand, once the genre gets another kick.

My thoughts are, that we have lost a lot of people, regular visiting members, in the days, when Don was thinking about closing the forums completely, before Capt. Lundgren secured our little home here.

You are surely mostly right about your point, that there is no dire need for yet another Trak RPG system. But a new start, with a decent company and a long livety of the game, together with a new boot of the Trek genre (may it be the new movie or not...) might bring in some fresh blood, which would maybe even do something to our forums here. Again, not sure if that would be good, but it something to be considered.

Anyway, as we, the gaming fans, can do little to nothing, but hoping against hope, that some miracle will happen, and the near to perfection Trek game will be released, we should all look positive into the future, as I'm quite sure, that the Star Trek RPG license will not be out on the market for long. There will be a new Trek game. Ahd I'm also quite sure that a lot of us will be going into that new game, just to take a look...

Maybe, someone should tell them, that they need to start off with the damned Klingon book at first, to break that spell of bad luck

haha yes, it needs a Klingon book to be the first one

I think part of the problem with the loss of impetus on the actual TrekRPG side of the site is there is no... news... which is why I started coming here in the first place... the DecTrek licence has been dead for what, a year now?! Other than Patrick (and other writers who contributed to the line) putting in info, it was all but a dead franchise, with one sad loss after another till we all just accepted grim fate, instead of fighting it

I don't think we need a new version, but for there to be much in the way of 'news' for the site, or for there to be interest in a new and exciting system, to draw in players and readers to the forums, there does need to be one. This place is sadly yes, a shadow of it's former self, partly because half of us don't even run Trek games any more (part of the joy of Trek was sucked out of the genre, when they finished enterprise, and murdered Nemesis ) With any luck the new movie might inspire us to it again.. I can only hope!
    Ta Muchly

Tobian makes a good point here:

A new RPG system might lead to new discussion: "Do we need that book?"
    "What do you think if it?" --> "I love it" - "I Hate it" discussions would follow, lighting up this place: it would spur new interest, new campaign ideas would follow...

I'm dreaming, but I think that as Tobias said, a new Trek game and the ripples it would produce would do us good...

As they say: In every ending there is always a new beginning...

TrekRPGnet is in a bit of limbo since the database crash earlier this year. But as soon as I will find the time to rebuild everything on the "real" server, instead of the server the forum currently are running on, the old website will return and the work on the new website will continue.

Do we need a new system. Well, anyone here won't But not everyone will have the energy to modify another system, or hunt down used rule books on ebay. So a new system will increase the amount of new blood to Trek gaming.

And I guess a lot of us would buy it, despite we need it or not

Cpt Lundgren, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Crow

(hey, I can hardly kick up a fuss and then leave it to someone else, can I? )

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    TrekRPGnet is in a bit of limbo since the database crash earlier this year. But as soon as I will find the time to rebuild everything on the "real" server, instead of the server the forum currently are running on, the old website will return and the work on the new website will continue.

Do we need a new system. Well, anyone here won't But not everyone will have the energy to modify another system, or hunt down used rule books on ebay. So a new system will increase the amount of new blood to Trek gaming.

And I guess a lot of us would buy it, despite we need it or not
    Indeed this are good news in your posts, Capt. Lundgren, this one here, and the other one over at "Website Development Status" Thread

I'm very thankful that you and the guys are putting so much work and time into this project, no matter how long it takes...

If you really want to chart the downfall of Trek as far as RPGing goes, then we'd probably have to go all the way back to when LUG went over to WotC. That's what started the whole ball rolling and ultimately killed ICON, CODA, and this board (more or less).

Still, we should recognize the efforts of those who tried to sustain CODA (COMA?) on life support. I agree that other besides Patrick and Doug made and effort. I don't have a problem with us awading more medals. We can work up a list of nominations and even try to make this semi-official. Don probably deserves an award just for starting up this site in the first place, let alone for his work on CODA. Steve Long certainly derserves some sort of award for providing us with SPACEDOCK.

We can think about this see who we want to "nominate" and maybe come up with a few differernt TREK based awards. Like give Steve Long an Engineering based award for SPACEDOCK. There are a lot of folk whose efforts have enriched our TREK gaming experiences.

It'S a bit more formal than my orginal idea, but it might be a good idea to have a "Hall of HEros" type spot on the board where we recognize the accomplishments of those involved with the TREKRPG experience. Maybe even some sort of guidelenes or whatever. Just as long as we keep things from going crazy.

But anyway, looks like Patrick and Dough are definately getting a "medal".

I'll have to open up the bottle of Romulan Ale I've been saving...

We should just make our own, publicly available Trek RPG.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    I'm with you, guys, giving praise to the guys that continued to believe in CODA RPGs. But am I mistaken if I ask to include not only Patrick, Doug and Don but also Ineti? Didn't he have something to do with the LotR CODA stuff?
    Yeah, I was one of the LOTR playtesters once they got the playtest thing in order, and I spent a lot of time working on about 15 playtest docs, including Fell Beasts, Two Towers, Moria, Helm's Deep, POTW, and Isengard; plus some books that we'll never see now.

I also managed to get a few writing gigs with Decipher on a couple LOTR books that will never see print.

Once Decipher jettisoned the Design Studio back in, what 2004?, I kept contact with the folks at Decipher, mostly Scott Gaeta, Ross Campbell, and later Kieran Yanner. Also kept up conversations with other freelancers. Kept pushing behind the scenes for something to be done with the unfinished books, but largely was talking to a wall.

Eventually, I helped Kieran with some editing on the PDF releases of POTW and Isengard, a complete revision and errata-gathering of the core book, and some other resources that never got released once he left Decipher. After he left, most of the wind in my sails was gone, and the email traffic between me and Ross and Scott and others dwindled. Eventually I got fed up with it and moved on to other things.

*shrug* I did what I could and I'm sorry that it wasn't enough. I look at my playtest documents and curse Decipher's powers that be for killing the RPG lines before they had a chance to mature. I understand the business aspects of it, but it still leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti View Post
    I look at my playtest documents and curse Decipher's powers that be for killing the RPG lines before they had a chance to mature. I understand the business aspects of it, but it still leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.
    You and me both, Jim. Anyone who looks at my LJ profile will see how bitter I was when I quit as Net Rep.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti View Post
    Depends on where it was in the development cycle. I received partial payments for the two LOTR books I helped write, and I'll never see the remainder of the payment since the books will never be published.
    One of the reasons I finally called it quits with writing for RPGs. I had to nag for two years to get paid for the five books I either wrote or contributed to for a games producer in the UK. Only a few of the works hit the shelves, so far. After a while, it gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq View Post
    One of the reasons I finally called it quits with writing for RPGs. I had to nag for two years to get paid for the five books I either wrote or contributed to for a games producer in the UK. Only a few of the works hit the shelves, so far. After a while, it gets old.
    Who was it?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry