Thread: Stargate Atlantis (spoilers may come thru the gate)

Stargate Atlantis (spoilers may come thru the gate)

Ok, now they are the only good show left on Sci-Fi's friday line up (until we get BSG or Dr. Who back, or they get Torchwood), but did they have to jump the shark so quickly?

No, I'm not talking about their choice of Base Commander, or the gratuituos SG-1 tie ins, but did they have to start repeating themselves so soon?

Ok, here come the spoilers.

last chance

Ok, so the Replicators and the Wraith are going at each other, right? I imagined great ship battles, Replicators hiding among villages that get culled, and then smacking the crap outa the Wraith, the Wraith using big guns on anything remotely Replicatoris, and alot of humans caught in the crossfire.

No, they quickly take a page from TWO seperate SG plots: Scorched earth type tactics; one was a group of evil humans using poison on Goa'uld worlds to kill them and thier Jaffa; the other was newer, with the Jaffa using a weapon to destroy human settlements to keep them from going over to serve the Ori.

This is a writer's tactic to ramp up the danger factor. Big ship battles and extended engagements are great, but don't really help an episodic tv show (DS-9 and the extremely short Klingon war and slightly longer Dominion War, anyone?) So, give the cast something to make them work quicker: they have only so long before the badguys kill everyone, which is actually easier to fix then actually ending the war. In this case, simply (ha) find a way to stop the Replicators, or at least curb their aggression again.

Thoughts, or am I just a guy used to better story telling?

Love the characters and their interactions. They lost one character they needed to (Weir), but should have lost Teyla, since they do NOTHING with her. they should have kept becket, though i like Staite's character so far.

The plots, however, are terrible. I'm still watching, but not every week.

I expected them to do more with teyla at the begining; figured she would be the team's Tea'c.

Then, she faded into the background, only resurfacing when it was convienent to the plot (need to find Wraith, background on an area/person, or another fighter). Ronan has become the Teal'c, as it were.

Liked Becket, and Weir had grown on me; it was refreshing to see someone grow into the leadership position, instead of being a superleader from the start.

I figure I'll watch when I remember to, but Fridays are freed up for the first time since Farscape and SciFi Friday for me. I'm planning on watching BSG, but with the BS they're pulling -- trying to turn one season into two to give their programming schedule life for one more year...I may just buy the DVDs.

If anything, NBC has me watching network for the first time in about two decades: Heroes, LIfe (Damian Lewis...excellent actor), and my big surprise...I'm really enjoying Chuck.

Other than a few of the F/X shows, this writer's strike has me close to pulling my cable.

I don't have any problem with the developments with the Replicators and Wraith (ignoring the fact that I'm not fond of having Replicators, even 'different' ones, in Atlantis at all). Even if there's some repetition, thematically, with actions taken by the Reps this week, it's kind of hard to deny the logic of it from their point of view. Personnaly, I've liked the last 3 eps. Maybe I'm being trusting because the SG crews have consistently pleased me with where they've taken seemingly cliched plots in the past.

This season started out very mediocre for whatever reason, but I think they've found their feet in the last couple episodes; also, until this week, Carter was completely wasted.

It is kind of unfortunate that after they _finally_ figured Weir out, they (mostly) took her out of the picture. From interviews, they seem to have realized their underutilization of Teyla and Ronon, and are at least working a Teyla arc, though Ronon hasn't had much yet. I think much like the Trip-T'pol thing, the writing crew became a little too enamored of the Sheppard-McKay dynamic last year, and wrote to it too much.

On a side note, being repetitious and jumping-the-shark are not the same thing. And what would you have to do to actually jump-the-shark on shows where you have glowy-eyed maniacal bad-guys, fight pretty much literal gods, and space vampires?
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

*lalala not looking lalala*

Just one thing to note, The actress who plays Tayla was VERY pregnant when i last saw her on some promo stuff, so I suspect they have partly written her out this series, which she copes with baby and such, like they did with Sam Carter in SG1.

Very much looking forward to seeing this season, especially because they finished SG1 hehe
    Ta Muchly