Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigh...

Sigh...

I've been working as a teaching assistant in our English department for the last six months, doing 101/102 classes. We were required to take a practicum that has been utterly useless to continue in our contract. The problem: I have a '60s "all men are evil, and confident men are REALLY evil" feminist teaching. She has targeted several of the students -- all male -- for derision, condescension, and worse, unfair grading. (It's like going through childhood with my mum again...)

It's subtle, but it's there. Since she has tenure, she's pretty much covered.

So...several of us with very low attrition rates (I lost a single student. The average for 101 is 3.), high marks from the students (I averaged an A- for all categories.), and have managed to get all of the students through the class. (Average failure rate at UNM would be about 2 per class of 23.)

But I'm most likely losing the position next year, because of this @#$%. Really in the dumps over this -- probably the first job I've truly enjoyed without reservation. But the administration and this grrrrrrrrrr have to @$$ it up for me and three other guys (I'm guessing.)

I've made a few inquiries to the head of the rhetoric division, since the first year writing program super is a buddy with the woman in question, but I suspect I'm humped on this one. I'm getting so tired of passive aggressive BS.

Enough I started applications for historian positions with the military. I might get shot at (unlikely), but at least I'll be workng n my field.

Nothing worse then having a job that you enjoy with people that you don't . . . like water and oil it can be. Hopefully your new hiring oppertunities succeed in taking you to a position which you can really sink yourself into.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

60's-Era Prof, huh?

If this was an adventure RPG, I'd say that this sounds like a job for some surreptitiously placed, serendipitously discovered, and scurrilously reported samples of popular 60's-Era recreational pharmaceuticals.

Not that I'd ever actually advocate or condone setting someone up like that. No. Not me. Never. And this in no way relates to Public Safety's discovery of a substantial amount of marijuana in the dorm room of a neighboring student who annoyed me constantly during an entire semester. Pure coincidence.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq View Post
    I've been working as a teaching assistant in our English department for the last six months, doing 101/102 classes. We were required to take a practicum that has been utterly useless to continue in our contract. The problem: I have a '60s "all men are evil, and confident men are REALLY evil" feminist teaching. She has targeted several of the students -- all male -- for derision, condescension, and worse, unfair grading. (It's like going through childhood with my mum again...)
    Call her mofo essentialist ass on it and kick her upside the head with any gender theory written in the last twenty years.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Try crying. It's one of the "Achilles heels" of the ultra feminists. If she isn't sympathetic, she comes off looking like...a man.

Hmm tough call, I would say call her on it. If her boss is close friends, go over her, and put in a formal complaint. Either that, or just key her car, whatever makes you feel better
    Ta Muchly

Or you could confide in her that you've had problems adjusting ever since the "operation".

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I decided to fight it. I got depositions from half the class, talked to a lawyer about the possibility of a sexual discrimination case, talked to my boss, her boss, and the chair of the department. Her tenure is now under review, since she managed to drive of 10 of the 25 new teaching assistants, and several part-time instructors. About an order of magnitude ore losses than standard for a semester. Several are talking legal action, as well.

The department's in full-blown panic mode. My grades issued by her are under review, I will be picked up for next semester, and if they review your tenure...you're not in English. You're history.

I decided to fight it. I got depositions from half the class, talked to a lawyer about the possibility of a sexual discrimination case, talked to my boss, her boss, and the chair of the department. Her tenure is now under review, since she managed to drive of 10 of the 25 new teaching assistants, and several part-time instructors. About an order of magnitude ore losses than standard for a semester. Several are talking legal action, as well.

The department's in full-blown panic mode. My grades issued by her are under review, I will be picked up for next semester, and if they review your tenure...you're not in English. You're history.
    EXCELLENT!!!! Glad things are working out and that they are reviewing her and her behavior.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Ah, you are full of WIN!
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

if they review your tenure...you're not in English. You're history.
    That is most decidedly the quote of the day... That rocks!
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke View Post
    That is most decidedly the quote of the day... That rocks!
    That could just become his signature line!

Haha. Great to hear, good luck with that, hope you win!
    Ta Muchly

First of all, congrats!

This reminds me of this guy that was the new manager at the Wendy's I worked at far too long; he was the 'new guy', what corperate decided was going to be what they looked for in managment. He was in charge of all training of management personel.

He was also a prick. Treated customers rudely, treated the help like serfs, and one managerial candidate (my brother) was his personal whipping boy. After awhile, they had had total turnover of all the managers under him, all citing "personal reasons" for leaving. Eventually, he hired a guy that he said "was everything he looked for in a manager", and put him on a fast track for running several stores.

Then it turned out this guy was wanted in 3 states for embezzelment and fraud.

The company decided to take out the "super manager": He had cost them alot in turnover and and potential lawsuits, not to mention hireing a criminal and trying to hand him the district! Heard the big jerk cried like a little girl when they told him to take a hike!

Good times...