Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another New Person!!!

Welcome on board, Penny!

On the subject of what are Pen and Paper roleplaying games, take a look please over at Wikipedia. There are some explanations.

Also read here. These are a brief synopsis of the systems out there . . . and you can read a lot more about them here on these boards.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

You hang out in the same room and one dude is like "Yo okay roll initiative there's orcs" and then the other dudes are like "whut" and roll dice and add numbers written on a sheet of paper and then they tell the first dude and then he's like "okay dey cut chu mang" to one dude and then he's like "daaaaaaaamn" and writes some numbers down and then he's like "i make the orc cry" and the first dude is like "worrrrd."

Kinda.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I want to Join TatterD's group. Sounds like gaming [BattleTech, Traveller and FASA Trek] aboards a Navy Warship in the 80's after working hours.

Worrd.

Good times.
    - LUGTrekGM

So this isn't really a literary kind of trek? I tried my best to understand the rules but it's way over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    So this isn't really a literary kind of trek? I tried my best to understand the rules but it's way over my head.
    It looks worse that it is. IN essence it is the same as playing "let's pretend" we we were kids, with one person being a fireman, another a cab driver, or playing house.

The only difference is that the rules rate the characters in certain abilities and provide some randomness to the outcome. So rather than the player describing, say, a duel, and dictating the outcome, the matter is resolved by looking at the skills of the characters involved and resolving actions with dice.

It all LOOKS very intimidating and overwhelming at first, but most people can pick up the basics during their first game session.

For instance, lets assume for a moment that you are playing a Starfleet Officer in an Away Team that is exploring a new planet. You tell the GM that you want to use your Tricorder to scan for Lifeforms. The GM would then have you roll the dice, tell him the total, and he would then inform you as to what, if anything, your character detected.

The GM is the player with the most work. He (or she, to be fair) writes up a story similar to a TV episode, and then sets if up so the characters can play though it.

Hi and welcome

If you mean if it is text based, then the answer is, could be. I guess the most common form is a group of friends meeting face to face. But it can be played text based as well. then mainly through some chat application (more alike the "traditional" way, just replacing talking with typing) or by play-by-post at a forum (which is much more suitable when the participants are not on the same continent).

These forums are more about all the aspects of running a rpg adventure and not about a specific game/gaming group. So most of us have never been gaming with someone else here. On the other hand, there is a forum based game in the making (can be found here). There have not been any activity in the planning thread for several month. But at least I have not given up hope on it yet. It is about a Merchant Marine ship that is at the wrong end of Cardassia when the war breaks out.

It's like simming only usually done in person.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    On the other hand, there is a forum based game in the making (can be found here). There have not been any activity in the planning thread for several month. But at least I have not given up hope on it yet. It is about a Merchant Marine ship that is at the wrong end of Cardassia when the war breaks out.
    I have already submitted my LUG character sheet to Sea Tyger, and need it converted to CODA . . . but besides that . . . I am set.

Thanks for not forgetting about that . . . I am looking forward to when that starts.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    I have already submitted my LUG character sheet to Sea Tyger, and need it converted to CODA . . . but besides that . . . I am set.

Thanks for not forgetting about that . . . I am looking forward to when that starts.
    Oh, this reminds me I have to fix the background of my character's species. Should become possible next week, when my current job is finally finished.

Glad to see this game has not been forgotten anyway
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Hi and welcome to the board Penny!

Yeah we aren't actually any sort of forum based PBeM, we are book nerds, who play with our friends IRL - in the real world, not on-line, though I have been in a PBeM in the past, I prefer the real life version myself.

The one thing you do have to understand about paper and pencil role-playing games is in some ways you don't really have to know how to use the rules yourself, your storyteller/dungeomnaster/games master really takes care of all of that, but understanding how they work on a basic level does mean he doesn't have to keep re-explaining what you do.. they all sound complex, but usually work quite simple in practice.

Most games will consist of each player at the table designing a character for the setting, using the rules of character creation. Depending on what you are and where you put your bes abilities will determine how your dicerolls are affected - I.e. the higher your ability is - the better you are at it - and therefore the more likely if is you succeed.

Unless a PBeM is actually based on dice rolling and actual character sheets, usually the character just states what they are doing, the next person then adds to that, and if they got off the point or do something stupid the game 'captain' or owner steps in and resolves that.. with a dicerolling system, you can basically 'fail' at your attempt to do something, and IMHO, failure is what can make the games fun - because people are not infallible, and failure to spot something, or do something just right can make for great drama and sub-plots on their own!
    Ta Muchly

All that said theres plenty of room at this virtual table, and we chat about all Trek RPGs and even generally about trek itself...

And yes that does also include the usual arguments about Star Fleet marines...

Anyway, the point is, feel free to chat about plot, character, trek in general and PBEM, don't for a moment feel left out just because some of us play table-top games (which might be difficult, but damn, you could get the other players paranoid with constant note-swapping...)

In the past my own signature was from a now silent PBEM running the RPG rules of an ICON flavour (from the turn of the Millenium)...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    All that said theres plenty of room at this virtual table, and we chat about all Trek RPGs and even generally about trek itself...
    And we don't confine ourselves to just Trek, either. We have forums for other RPGs, and non gaming topics too.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Why do I get this idea we're all gleefully jumping in to corrupt an innocent?

Welcome aboard, Penny. Feel free to look around, ask questions and share your opinions.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

What's wrong with corrupting innocence?
    It's fun and enjoyable by all if done correctly.

And plus he said he's all ready roleplay'ed so what corrupting are we doing? We're just showing that there can be a form of structure to the madness which can ensue.
    Thus we are showing multiple forms to the function.

And if he doesn't want to roleplay, and just wants to talk, you know we're good for that to