Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another New Person!!!

Another New Person!!!

Hello!

Just thought I would say hi since I signed in here for the first time. I'm still trying to understand what kind of an RPG this place is. The first thing I realized is that everyone on here is more geared toward the game than working on political forum-based stuffies. That's what caught my eye. As for the game its-self, umm.. I'm totally lost. You must play it a little different than I.

I'm sure I'll catch onto what you're doing with a little more reading. Nice to meet you all!

-Penny

Welcome to the boards Penny, were a friendly bunch so have a cuppa tea and a biscuit and mingle!

As we are an independant Trek RPG website we are able to discuss ALL types of Trek Gaming, as you look about you will see forums devoted to all the lost forgotton rules (FASA, ICON and the near departed CODA) and even Prime Direcive, but we also support Freeform gaming and general Trek Discussion.

So tell us about yourself, where are you in the world and what kind of Trek experiences have you enjoyed?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Welcome, Penny Other than that, what Dan just said...
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, to start off.. I'm an English/Literature major with a minor in education. Even though I'm studying this field, it's mostly for myself. I'll probably end up living with my brother for quite some time since I'm mute and have no voice. It's harder than people think to get around when you have nothing to talk about unless you're on the internet. Don't feel sorry for me though! I love my life and if I had to do it all over again (minus the pain of the car crash that got me to this condition of course) I would follow the same course in history -- at least I'm nearly posative I would.

In real life, I'm hyperactive, bouncy, and I really love to tackle people out of the blue. I'm very agile and athletic and I tend to hang around my brother and his friends more than my sister or other girls. I'm certainly not lesbian or anything but I've been mistaken for one several times simply due to my activities. I have to be active in what I do most the day or else I go stir-crazy! I can't just sit around and gossip with the girls (partly because it's impossible/ partly because I wouldn't want to anyway).

I got into Star Trek partly because my father loved it. I got to see Star Trek: First Contact in the movies when I was almost too little to understand the dialogue but I remember the colors, sounds, and the overall beauty of the movie; that's what got me hooked. It wasn't long after that that a car accident involving a drunk person changed my life a little bit. A hit to the throat, and an impalement through the abdomen left me with hours of surgery, no voice, and an inability to ever be able to have children (Once again, no apologies. I love what this has done for me lol, really!). I spent nearly a year in bed -- not wanting to do anything or even wear anything that would put pressure on my stomach. It sucked just to walk.

For that first six months, my brother would sneak into my room despite my parents not wanting him with me since I was butt-naked all the time in there, pull up the sheets with me every day at 4:00PM EST and we would watch brand-new episodes of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE! I was hooked! The daily routiene was my lifeline and I've loved Star Trek ever since.

Star Trek DS9 is my favorite series of course, but I enjoy all of them! And to become a character in Star Trek stories is fun as well. It's my chance to act as a person that can talk for a while, and immerse myself in the fantasy of exploring strane new worlds and new civilizations!

Even now, Kevin (I call him Kevvie) and I still watch DS9 regularly since we own the entire series on DVD. Although I'm fine now, after nearly half a year where it hurt to wear clothes, the um -- feeling of being free of restrictive clothing grew on me. I am now a naturalist and I'll leave it at that as to not to be rude to the younger members. The older people will understand what that means I'm sure. If I'm going out or in public of course, that's all different but it all drop's to the floor when I get home. Naturally, I don't get many people coming over to the house unless they're very close friends. The meaning of this line of conversation is my way of telling you that although I'm active and hyper outside the door, I spend plenty of time here and online. So -- if there are any simulations anyone wants me to participate in, I have the time! I do go to college so I will have to work around that but yes, I can be here plenty.

Side Hobbies:

Tennis, Swimming, Freediving, and Running are my other hobbies. And obviously hanging around my closest friends. I have a few boyfriends (Yeah, a few -- I don't believe in falling in love with just one person. There are too many wonderful people out there and one of the ways to find a wonderful person 'in my belief' is to find somoene that accepts that you share love with many people) and they keep me company sometimes. And I have a motorcycle but I don't ride it that much. I love driving my car around on occassion too. Sometimes I get people wondering if I'm old enough to drive a car though. I'm 20 years old but I look like I'm ten or eleven. Not being able to produce hormones has it's effects on the body. One of those is that I look like a small, skinny little girl that shouldn't be behind the wheel. That's okay though because I'm playing a great joke on Santa this Christmas. I'll tell you all about that later lol. Oh, and yes, I'm a major practical joker. Anything to bring out the laughter in people as long as it isn't harmful or at the expense of others', yes.. I'm game.

That's a short story of me! I have to go now, but it's very nice to meet all of you!
    Last edited by Penny; 12-07-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Safe to say this new one ain't a bot. Nice to see someone new joining up.

I only had a quick moment to glance over the postings. . .did I miss which version of Trek RPG you play?

Welcome aboard!
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I like nachos.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I like nachos.
    They like you too. The Jalapeños, on the other hand, are too shy to say.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    They like you too. The Jalapeños, on the other hand, are too shy to say.
    I will consume them regardless.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I will consume them regardless.
    I don't blame you, they are HOT!

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Safe to say this new one ain't a bot. Nice to see someone new joining up.

I only had a quick moment to glance over the postings. . .did I miss which version of Trek RPG you play?

Welcome aboard!
    I was pretty popular for a while. As much as I would like to rebuild my simm, I don't want to advertise. I find it rude to do such things. I'm known in the RPG world as "The Penny". Have you heard of me? "Hyper Vulcan Girl?"

If not, I'll send you a PM to be kind to those here that want to keep all the action on these boards.

My original character name was "Penny T'Salis"

Penny,
    I think he meant which version of a "paper & pencil" Star Trek role-playing game have you played, as there have been three offical ones and a couple of unoffical ones.

Other forms of Trek role-playing, such as on-line playing are fine, too we're just curious. This board supports pretty much any type of Star Trek role-playing somewhere or another.

I must not know of this pen and paper aspect of simming that you speak of. I would love to learn more about that.

Well . . . you see . . . there is online roleplaying, which is free form, and is subject to the decisions of the moderator . . . or to group agreement of the flow of plot . . . and then there is traditional pen & paper that allows a Game Master to make decisions of actions within a scene using rules and statistics to decide outcomes. There are multiple pen & paper star trek rules out there, which assist a Game Master in running a game . . . but in the end it comes down to a Game Master creating a good plot, describing believable scenes, and having others roleplay characters within that plot and interact in the fictional setting.

Oh, and welcome to the boards. If you ever are looking for gaming ideas . . . do a search. We have compilled a wealth of knowledge and game play ideas!

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Smile

Welcome Penny
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Paper & Pencil RPGs

Like what JALU3 said, plus:

With a Paper & Pen RPG there are one or more "rule books" which give guidelines for how to create a character and give them abilities, and scores in those abilities so they they can be actively used in play. For example, a helm officer would have some sort of skill for piloting a starship, and when something difficult came up in the game, such as trying to fly through an asteroid field, the helm officer would make a piloting skill test, usually by rolling dice and comparing to or adding to the skill rating. The result of the test would reveal how well or how poorly the helmsman did, and consequently, how badly the ship gets banged up.