View Poll Results: Do you know and/or did you play Fantasy or Sci-Fi Boardgames

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't know any fantasy / sci fi boardgames

1 4.35%
  • I know a / some game(s), but never bothered to play...

3 13.04%
  • I know a / some game(s) and have played them in the past

7 30.43%
  • I know a / some game(s) and still play them every know and then

9 39.13%
  • I have the box right here and play often

3 13.04%
  • Neither option fits me, really. I'll explain down below

0 0%

Thread: Do you know / play Sci-Fi and Fantasy Board Games

Do you know / play Sci-Fi and Fantasy Board Games

This post was inspired by the Starcraft - The Boardgame thread.

I was wondering if you guys know fantasy and/or Science Ficition boardgames like MB's classic HeroQuest or StarQuest which was known as Space Crusade in the USA.

Both games have been produced in cooperation with Games Workshop back in the day.

Or have you maybe played newer boardgames like Descent - Journeys in the Dark or Twilligt Imperium or Doom - The Boardgame.

I had a HeroQuest when I was young, that I really loved.

Occasionally I bring the old box out, and play a game with my young nephews, who like it very much

Please give your vote and then post what games you play (or may have played).

If you have some old story you'd like to share, please fell free to do so as well.
    Last edited by Cut; 12-08-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Twilight Imperium
    Boxed games for traveller, Brilliant Lances, Invasion:Earth.

There used to ben old game based oin star wars, called Freedom in the galaxy. Smoked.

a few others

Mostly dealing with traveller though or star trek, al la starship battle simulator.

Star fleet rules arguments, too, by TFG
    - LUGTrekGM

Quote Originally Posted by LUGTrekGM View Post
    Twilight Imperium
    Could you say something about that game? I was looking into that, but shyed away due to high costs and missing players.

I used to play Starquest, which was really cool and practically my introduction into Warhammer 40k - the Marines from the Boardgame formed the start for my army. However I do not play it anymore, I am not even sure if it is still complete.

I also played some Heroquest, but Memory is vague about that, same counts for the "Das Schwarze Auge" boardgame, which was a boardgame adaption of the Roleplaying Game I started with ( the recent edition was translated into English under the title The Dark Eye ).

I also played some of the Star Wars Miniatures Game, although I primarilly aquired it for using the miniatures with the RPG - althought this never took place really, as the campaign stopped.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk View Post
    I used to play Starquest, which was really cool and practically my introduction into Warhammer 40k - the Marines from the Boardgame formed the start for my army. However I do not play it anymore, I am not even sure if it is still complete.
    Did you have the two expansion packs?

It's been awhile, but the answers to the question still interest me.

Therefore *bump*

My game group plays a lot of board games when we're not playing RPGs. Twilight Imperium, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Lots and lots of board games. Good change of pace.

Right now we have a regular gaming group, playing appr. once or twice a month Descent - Journeys in the Dark with the Road To Legend Expension. It's very much fun

I have found in a german online shop some old Star Trek Boardgames (not the interactive ones with the VHS tape) and a Babylon 5 game of the same company (no, not TableTop wargames, but real boardgames!). There are a TNG and DS9 version of the Game, that can be put together.

Does anyone know of that sort of game?
    Last edited by Cut; 01-15-2009 at 03:54 PM.

I'm a fan of Descent. I keep almost buying Road to Legend, but I'm not sure for 50$ I'd get my money's worth. I don't know that I have a group of folks interested in it who would be able to play it consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rannd View Post
    I'm a fan of Descent. I keep almost buying Road to Legend, but I'm not sure for 50$ I'd get my money's worth. I don't know that I have a group of folks interested in it who would be able to play it consistently.
    Road of Legend adds sooo much to the game.

I had the opportunity to get a review copy of the box from the german retailer and I loved it. Actually we are playing a RtL campaign right now.

Nice touches are the different power levels and the now ongoing development of characters from quest to quest. RtL bridges the gap between table tops and table top roleplaying games like D&D 4th Edition in my oppionion. And the gámeplay gets shorter, as there are a bunch of different levels to each new Quest.

All in all well worth the money I think!

I loved Battle Masters, but don't get to play much anymore. Everytime I see any of the Lord of the Ring movies I want to wipe the dust off and play a game.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."