Thread: Food Donations

Food Donations

Hey folks,

Please keep the less fortunate in mind this holiday season and give generously to a local food drive. No one should go hungry at a time when the rest of the world is celebrating. There are many people without food benefits, or whose benefits have expired, and this is a difficult enough time of the year without an empty belly on top of the other challenges they may be facing. If you can afford it, please don't neglect those in need during these next few weeks. Thank you, and may your holidays... no matter which ones you celebrate... be happy.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Imagine if everyone of means, donated one of those CostCo packs of Spam?

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

You'd have a lot of poor folks sick from all the additives that go into making Spam. Better to donate bulk rice, canned vegetables or pouch-sealed tuna. Still, Spam is better than no food at all.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Yeah, healthy foods might be a better idea than mystery meat...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Why is there such a stigma around SPAM? I mean look at what a staple it has become in Hawaii . . . and there are many healthy Hawaiians.

Lets look at what Spam really means: Shoulder of Pork and hAM . . . sure there are healthier products out there . . . But Spam itself is by no means evil.

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

"Do you have anything without any Spam in it?"
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3 View Post
    Why is there such a stigma around SPAM? I mean look at what a staple it has become in Hawaii . . . and there are many healthy Hawaiians.

Lets look at what Spam really means: Shoulder of Pork and hAM . . . sure there are healthier products out there . . . But Spam itself is by no means evil.
    Then, uh, why is it's name some mysterious onomatepoeia?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Then, uh, why is it's name some mysterious onomatepoeia?
    Because they wanted something to market it as, that sounded cool . . . it's on the companies website, and wikipedia, how the name was created. Again, marketing.

Do I need to change my Avatar Title to "Defender of Spam®"?

At one time, the official explanation may have been that the name was a syllabic abbreviation of "SPiced hAM", but on their official website, Hormel denies this and states that Spam is just that.

Spam.

Don't spam this thread, you spammers!

And yes, donate to food drives. Be good. But don't give spam.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I will donate SPAM, and if someone knows how to serve it properly, those who receive it will enjoy it.

I will continue to defend spam which is, per their official website per their FAQs page:
    SPAM® Classic is made of just a few simple ingredients. Ham, pork, sugar, salt, water, a little potato starch, and a mere
    hint of sodium nitrite to help SPAM® keep its color. Sounds delicious, and it is.
    Now, to spam: