Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit I & II" in 2010/11!

Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit I & II" in 2010/11!

Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Good! I would be surprised if finding "common ground" meant anything other than New Line paying Wingnut what it owed. OTOH, it's Hollywood and you never know.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I'm not sure about that: I mean, Peter Jackson is going to be an executive producer, not the director? And what does 'a sequel' to The Hobbit mean?

Will they shoot the Lord Of The Rings all over again in a shorter Version?

I hope they bring Ian McKellen back to play Gandalf once more

With sequel they mean that there will be a two part story of the one book. Maybe they plan to do two shorter movies, especially since the Hobbit is more a children's book than LOTR.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Sweet

Also a possibility that they will use the information from later works, ie Lost Tales, and bring it more to pair with Lord of the Ring. After all, not much of LotR and ME was planned, if anything at all, at the time he wrote The Hobbit.

I wouldn't mind having a few minutes of the movies about when they drives out the necromancer from Dol Guldur.

Well, as I understand the licensing stuff, only films drawing directly from the Hobbit and LotR may be made. Other books are off limits. This likely means that the two films will cover the Hobbit proper and lift from the LotR appendices, while I'm sure there will also be a generous sprinkling of creative subjectivity a la the LotR films. I'd guess that each film will pull in just under two hours.

P.S. Thank you to whomever moved this thread. I'd forgotten about this particular forum!
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Not sure, but wasn't the description on how Gandalf escaped from Saruman from Lost Tales, and not in LotR?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren View Post
    Not sure, but wasn't the description on how Gandalf escaped from Saruman from Lost Tales, and not in LotR?
    That's in LotR alright

Good news indeed, it's been in limbo long enough.. now they better get a move on, half the principle cast are in their 70's
    Ta Muchly

The Hobbit films could be in two parts easy based on the films of LOTR.

Part 1, the Book there and back and again (the Hobbit book as we know it)

Part 2, is based after the Return of the King and covers the scouring of the shire, the last 1/3 of the third book that they missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanty View Post
    Part 2, is based after the Return of the King and covers the scouring of the shire, the last 1/3 of the third book that they missed.
    Nah. It'll cover the 70-odd years between the Hobbit and LOTR, and hopefully some mods and changes and some clear ties to the LOTR movies, so that we get a full saga from Hobbit I to Return of the King.

Well for #2 to be true, they would have to break Peter Jacksons continuity, or have the Shire scoured by Saruman the Dead

Not sure if it will work or not, but I am looking forward to it nontheless!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Well for #2 to be true, they would have to break Peter Jacksons continuity, or have the Shire scoured by Saruman the Dead

Not sure if it will work or not, but I am looking forward to it nontheless!
    An undead saruman crawling around would be pretty cool.

I just hope Beorn is done well.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

An Unexpected Party Chat -- A chat regarding the Hobbit movies with Peter Jackson and the director that implies the second movie will take place as sort of prequel to LOTR like Ineti indicated.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting