Thread: Probes

Probes

Does somebody know what game statistics (Sensor bonus, and or other effects) do give to a probe? This is what I already have.

PROBES:
    Sometimes sensors malfunction or prove otherwise incapable of fulfilling all of a ship’s data requirements. In these situations, ships can deploy probes –automated sensor platforms- to study an area or phenomena. Ships often employ probes to perform standard survey of planets and sectors, approach hazardous objects or energy fields, or simply extend the ship’s sensory capacity. Probes fly and maneuver independently of the ship using micro-fusion reactor engines (for impulse speeds) or Warp sustainer engines (to maintain a warp field if the ship deploys them moving at warp speed). All probes can withstand atmospheric entry; some are even capable of gently descending to an atmosphere to the surface of a planet to run scans, and some probes are even equipped with a stealth suit (equivalent of mono-refracting plating). A ship can control a probe remotely with a successful System Operation “Probe” skill test (TN 10). Ships deploy probes by using their torpedo launchers, so most probes resemble standard torpedoes in size and shape (typically 2m long, 0.75 m wide). Starfleet uses nine standard classes of probes, classified mission type. Increases in the numbers don’t necessarily indicate a corresponding increase in utility, although it does usually indicates an increase in speed and range. Listed probe ranges, indicates the expected distance before the probe ceases to function. This range can usually be extended by limiting velocity or thrust time. In an emergency situation a probe can be outfitted with a warhead to create a crude torpedo, this requires a successful Engineering “Systems” (Probes) skill test, and 10 minutes of work.

Type 1:
    This type of probes is equipped with a full EM/subspace and interstellar chemistry pallet for in-space applications.
    Sensor Probe
    Range: 200,000km
    Maximum Speed: 0.5c

Type 2:
    This type of probes is equipped with a full EM/subspace and interstellar chemistry pallet for in-space applications. It is based on Class 1. In addition, Class 2 has enhanced long-range particle and field detectors and imaging system.
    Sensor Probe
    Range: 400,000km
    Maximum Speed: 0.65c

Type 3:
    This is a planetary probe, with a full range of terrestrial soft landing to subsurface penetrator missions. Gas giant atmosphere missions are survivable up to 450bar pressure.
    Planetary Probe
    Range: 1,200,000km
    Maximum Speed: 0.65c

Type 4:
    This is a stellar encounter probe, modified from Class 3. The probe is equipped with triply redundant stellar fields and particle detectors and a stellar atmosphere analysis suite. There are six electable/survivable radiation flux sub-probes, deployable for non-stellar energy phenomena.
    Stellar Encounter Probe
    Range: 3,500,000km
    Maximum Speed: 0.6c

Type 5:
    This is a medium-range reconnaissance probe, with extended passive data-gathering and recording systems. The probe has a full autonomous mission execution and return system and is capable of atmosphere entry and soft landing. It is coated for low observability and may be modified for tactical missions with a custom sensor countermeasure package.
    Medium-Range Reconnaissance Probe
    Range: 430 Billion km
    Maximum Speed: Warp 2 / 0.5c

Type 6:
    This is a comm relay and emergency beacon, modified from Class 3. It provides 9270 RF and subspace channels, with a 360° antenna coverage and 0.0001 arc-second high-gain antenna pointing resolution. The probe features an extended deuterium supply for transceiver power generation and planetary orbit plane changes.
    Comm Relay / Emergency Beacon
    Range: 430 Billion km
    Maximum Speed: 0.8c

Type 7:
    This is a remote culture study probe, modified from Class 5. It is applicable to civilizations up to level III and has low observability coatings and hull materials. The maximum loiter time is 3.5 months. A low-impact molecular destruct package is tied to anti-tamper detectors.
    Remote Culture Study Probe.
    Range: 450 Million km
    Maximum Speed: Warp 1.5 / 0.5c

Type 8:
    This probe uses a modified photon torpedo casing. It is equipped with a standard sensor pallet and mission-specific modules. Its applications vary from galactic particles and fields research to early-warning reconnaissance missions.
    Medium-Range Multi-Mission Warp Probe.
    Range: 120ly
    Maximum Speed: Warp 9

Type 9:
    This probe uses a modified photon torpedo casing. It is equipped with a standard sensor pallet and mission-specific modules. The typical application is an emergency log/message capsule on homing trajectory to the nearest starbase or known Starfleet vessel position.
    Long-Range Multi-Mission Warp Probe.
    Range: 760ly
    Maximum Speed: Warp 9
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

Dredging this up from the past. I recently ran into this question while running an adventure. Question came up, aside from the capabilities of each probe, what bonus do you get for sensor readings.

I ruled that the same bonuses that the shipboard sensors give apply to the probes. What do you think?

Space Dock has a list of the probes, and assign a plus to Long Range, Lateral and Navigational category's and I always assumed those plus's added to the host vessels sensor rating. *EDIT just read the whole entry on probes in Space Dock and it states that you use either the probes sensor rating or the vessels sensor gain package (which ever is higher), do not add them together.

probe Long Range Lateral Navigational

Class I +0 +2 +0

Class II +0 +2 +0

Class III +0 +2 +0

Class IV +0 +2 +0

Class V +0 +3 +0

Class VI +0 +1 +3

Class VII +0 +3 +0

Class VIII +3 +3 +0

Class IX +3 +3 +0
    Last edited by WaveMan; 08-27-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.